KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Should a KJ Play My Copy of a cdg that I Own? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:23 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
In a time when Kjs have their entire collection on hard drives, or simply use copies to preserve the originals, should they refuse to play your copy of a cdg that you own? In reality, is there a legal entity that is actually going to come to their show, and bust them for playing someone's copy of a cdg.........let's keep it real here.....and who are they, not to believe your word, that you own the original?.....the whole idea reeks of hypocrisy.......thank you for your opinions.. :)

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:46 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
As more and more people are truned off by all the regulations and staying home and bukiding their woen systems I can evision this scenario. The KJ or bar has no cd's.. The singer brings in a flash drive with his songs for the night.  Since he is not receiving any compensarion it is strictly a personal use.

I can set my laptop down on the bar and download off my home computer and with wireless transfer it to the KJ'S computer is this illegal? Or the KJ can access music via wireless from a mainframe in a locked office..

What if I take in my laptop and hook into the jukebox sound system and a few of us sing... What if we sing with the jukebox? Is that illegal?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:26 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Billy, while you are able to copy your own CDG for your own personal use, as soon as you play the copy in a public environment you are no longer operating within the "fair use" act.  If a KJ were to play your copy of a CDG in the bar, he would be violating the copywrite law and risking hefty fines.  I would imagine that most KJs would not have a problem playing your original CDG for you, but asking them to play a copy of your original puts their livelyhood at risk.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:26 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
I am pc based, and can't play a customers CDG becasue my cd player in my laptop can not play a CDG disc.  So perhaps it is not hipocracy???

Now on the opther hand, if my PC was capable of playing CDG discs, or If I wasn't so lazy and would rackmount my standalone CDG player, I would play a customers ORIGINAL disc.

I will NEVER EVER play a burnt disc!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:09 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
twansenne @ Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:26 pm wrote:
I am pc based, and can't play a customers CDG becasue my cd player in my laptop can not play a CDG disc.  So perhaps it is not hipocracy???

Now on the opther hand, if my PC was capable of playing CDG discs, or If I wasn't so lazy and would rackmount my standalone CDG player, I would play a customers ORIGINAL disc.

Sounds like possible hypocrisy to me -- you will play your own format-shifted material but not someone else's.

Doesn't matter to me -- in all likelihood I would choose not to attend your show, since you won't accommodate me either by playing my CDG of any kind nor my custom-burrned one in my key.

In any case, I support your right to do precisely what you want to do. I may laugh at the moral high horse you ride, but I support your right to ride it.

Your attitude is not prevalent, thank goodness. I have met maybe a hundred KJs by now, and not one has refused to play my burned disk. A few don't have the capability (or so they say) of playing a CDG -- maybe that is their tactful way of avoiding the issue.  There are two shows I might otherwise attend except for 1) they don't have the ability to play my disk, 2) their libraries are not very good and 3) they constantly bungle key changes. I have a choice, and I use it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:45 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
mckyj57 @ Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:09 pm wrote:
twansenne @ Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:26 pm wrote:

Sounds like possible hypocrisy to me -- you will play your own format-shifted material but not someone else's.

I realy could care less about format shifiting.  I wil not play a burnt disc becasue....

1. It could be pirated, or burnt from illegally downloaded songs.  Now if you could prove that you actually own the original CD that the copy is burnt from, I will play it.  If you want to see my original CDs to match all my music all you have to do is ask.
OR
2. The quality of the copied disc could be complete and utter crap.  If it is CRAP, venue mgr/owner and crowd thinks it is my music, and sorry,  I don't want to ruin my rep of having good music.  Some dork could have download a illegal track that was ripped at a bitrate of 64, and the burns it to a CDG disc, it WILL sound like crap.  Or someone that owns an original could have no clue how rip a disc properly for reburning.  Hzd a friendd that was making a custom CD for use in his car.  He would rip the songs he wanted to MP3 file at bitrate of 128, and the reburn them to and audio CD.  DUH!!!!!  A big loss in quality.

Again, I could car les about he format shifiting, ther is no hipocracy.

Oh yeah, if you want a key change of one of my songs, just ask, I can change the key to accomidate you.

And if I had a regular that realy wanted to use their own ORIGINAL discs, I would swich the CD drive in my PC to accomidate, bring my CDG player, or buy the disc(s)for the songs they wanted, and rip the to my PC.  I have probably spent around $2000 last year ordering regular and custom CDGs for songs that customers wanted (that dosent include the monthly discs I subscribe to).  I am accomidating, but I will not take the chance of playing pirated or crap music.

If I can't accomidate you, you are free to go to any of my competiors shows where they have crap sound, bad mics, scratched discs, and bad attitudes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:04 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It figures....  I haven't had time to do anything lately and this is the first thread I see.   :shock:

We will not play your burned disc....  We mean no offense - but if it's taken......  We have no way of knowing you paid for the original.  We've had this policy from the get-go and opening a retail karaoke store just enforced that.....

We understand you may not agree with our policy but it isn't your system at the club.  We understand you may choose to sing with someone else; that is certainly your option and we want you to have a good karaoke experience.  We also want to be able to enjoy ours.....

Good thread!

Susie :)

and be a star!!!!

Karaoke with Full House Entertainment

[scroll]Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean...... :confused: [/scroll]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:31 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I've never really had a problem playing a singer's personal disc.  I'm always amazed though that many people don't seem to keep a case or sleeve to protect them, so I try to have a few spares on hand.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:13 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
marty3 @ Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:31 am wrote:
I've never really had a problem playing a singer's personal disc.  I'm always amazed though that many people don't seem to keep a case or sleeve to protect them, so I try to have a few spares on hand.

I don't worry much about the burned disks -- I can always make another. Though I only have ever had one go bad.

I have about 450 purchased CDGs, and if I ever ran into anyone who claimed to not be  willing to play non-original disks, it only takes about 4 128-disk carriers to carry my collection. I could easily put them in the car next time I came, and show them the disk for every song on every disk.

But as I said, in the real world no one has a problem playing my disks. It makes life a lot easier for me not having to get KJs to make a key change.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:16 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

cracks me up.

Oh, I illegally am playing copies of my originals (converted to computer in a commercial setting) but I won't play YOUR illegal copy.

Gimmie a break!

And I despise computerized setups that won't play an outside disc, whether original or not. it IS plain laziness not to bring in even a $40 player with an a/b switch.

I'm not picking on any one person here... just the recent comments on it reminded me of some of the situations I've ran into.

I've only been denied handing in a disc at one place due to a KJ (a $50 a night guy no less) being all hoity-toity and claiming that they were answering to a higher calling. I just told the owners of the place why I was taking my money I spent to another place.   I've also been denied handing in discs at a show that used Hoster... one of his setups wasn't set up correctly as trying to import the track was causing Hoster to crash. I've been to THREE Hoster setups, one by this same KJ, and not had any problems with the same disc...

so not having the customer service setup of another player for outside discs to me seems sad. Now, if you've trained your audience that's the situation, then fine, but it's STILL a sad thing when you could take your disc to a disc-based show and be able to play it. Having that kind of inconvienience is taking the computerized format  too far away from satisfying your customers in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I would like to get some feedback from you KJs on the following.  I do not own any karaoke disks but I do have a number of backing tracks which have been purchased from suppliers and these tracks are fully licenced for public performance (ie they are not restricted to "personal use only").  As many of these tracks have been downloaded from the suppliers' websites as mp3 files, I obviously do not have original CDs, and I have created my own CDs. I do have all the receipts for the purchases.  As these are not karaoke trackks, they do not display lyrics.  

I was wondering what your responses would be if I were to turn up at one of your gigs and asked if you would play these backing tracks for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:05 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Murrlyn @ Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:50 pm wrote:
As these are not karaoke trackks, they do not display lyrics.  

If they do not have the lead vocal in it, it is considered karaoke.  The lyrics on screen does not make a karaoke disc.  Karaoke = empty orchestra - meaning music minus vocals.

I generally don't have a problem playing burns.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:28 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I make most of the karaoke songs I sing from the original music, in a painstaking multi-step process. I also take the time to make great looking cdg's for them synced better than 99% of what you can buy. Most of the songs I sing are not available in karaoke, or the karaoke versions are simply too horrible to sing with.
  I've never had any kj turn me down when I'd give them one of my discs to play. Of course, I don't go out to sing much anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:31 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
I applaud what you do.
I am so angry it is illegal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:57 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Well, since I own most of the CD's I make them from, and since I don't make them for anybody else, and since I don't get paid to sing them, I really couldn't care less. I do this for fun. The lawyers can all stick it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:53 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

:oh yeah:  :oh yeah:  :oh yeah:  :oh yeah:  :oh yeah:  :oh yeah:  :oh yeah:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 15 times
Murrlyn @ Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:50 pm wrote:
I would like to get some feedback from you KJs on the following.  I do not own any karaoke disks but I do have a number of backing tracks which have been purchased from suppliers and these tracks are fully licenced for public performance (ie they are not restricted to "personal use only").  As many of these tracks have been downloaded from the suppliers' websites as mp3 files, I obviously do not have original CDs, and I have created my own CDs. I do have all the receipts for the purchases.  As these are not karaoke trackks, they do not display lyrics.  

I was wondering what your responses would be if I were to turn up at one of your gigs and asked if you would play these backing tracks for me.

The only way I would play any home burned disk is if you assured me in writing that you owned all rights to the music.  I have several novelty songs that I use on home burned CD but I do own all the rights.  Knowing the situation that KJs are in I really wouldn't expect anyone else to believe me about the origin of my home burned disks.

Maybe I shouldn't say this but I find myself shaking my head at the whole idea.  I think if you're bringing your own disks to a karaoke show, you're taking the whole thing much too seriously.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:39 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
b Flat @ Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:28 pm wrote:
  I make most of the karaoke songs I sing from the original music, in a painstaking multi-step process. I also take the time to make great looking cdg's for them synced better than 99% of what you can buy. Most of the songs I sing are not available in karaoke, or the karaoke versions are simply too horrible to sing with.
  I've never had any kj turn me down when I'd give them one of my discs to play. Of course, I don't go out to sing much anymore.

and he is sooooooooo bruddy good at what he does  :hug:  :wave: B dahlin
btw any more blues tracks for the witch? something a bit horny and pole dancerish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:37 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I played burned disc when I used a Karoke Player... like 6 years ago.  All honesty there are worse things going on in the world. If we focused 1/10 of the energy spend on mindless internet, music, and computer related issues......

World hunger would be solved, the war would have never started, gas would be $1 a gallon, every family would have 3 cars, welfare would not exist, unemployment would be somthing you get while getting you masters degree, captain crunch would be a real person, Micheal Jackson would leave little boys alone, Walt disney would be thawed out and drinking a beer with 2pac and Elvis, Adam Sandler and Jack Black would still be funny, Chevy Chase would do another vaction movie, Cable and satalite companies would wake up and realive the with the money spent on advertising tv should be free.

I run a computer based system I do not have the capability of playing someone's cd. I have 23,000 unique songs in my book I'm sure you can find something to sing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:59 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

exweedfarmer @ Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:28 pm wrote:
I think if you're bringing your own disks to a karaoke show, you're taking the whole thing much too seriously.

Why?  I enjoy karaoke, I tend to like to do songs that most KJ's aren't likely to have in their collection.   Most places don't even have even one Kate Bush song in their library, let alone the 9 I have.  

Discs are cheap, 20 bucks is a cheap investment in entertainment, especially when you get repeated uses out of it.  I get lots of compliments on the unusual song selections that I do.  

I also let my friends use the discs so it increases the likelihood that I'm going to hear more music I like and less "Black Velvet" and cliched crap like that.