KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Slow Singers - What to do? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:23 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Again, please keep this post on topic,  It is an offshoot of this post:

http://www.karaoke-forum.com/posting.ph ... st&p=99403

Two things specially I want to cover:

1. What can you do to motivate singer who sing mostly slow to pick faster songs
2. Moving from the model of "Rotation" to "Round", For example your 3rd song is in the 3rd rotation, but you may not come up in the same order as you were in previous rotations. (KJ gets to pick how the songs are within a rotation to maximize crowd energy)

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:02 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
The singer gets to sing what they want, it's the nature of the beast.  If you want to announce fast songs only, that's your perogotive (sp).  

As for rotation, everyone has their own ideas.  Use what works for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

If you want faster songs from your customers you need to recruit customers who sing faster songs....sorry but some folks just don't have the ability to sing fast songs and some do but would never sing them if you asked. Karaoke is about customers singing what they want.

I have only been sucessful at getting faster songs out of slow song singers once I get to know them really well and can approach them without offending them. It's a touchy subject with some folks.

Start recruiting 35 and under crowd to your shows and you will get the faster stuff. For now you will have to be the fast song singer.

Rotation Management - It's up to you...but if you start doing the old switch game on a rotation of more than say 20 you are gonna lose customers.....my humble opinion.
Not to say this won't work .....but you need to have a cooperative crowd.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I'm with them.  Singers are going to sing what they what.  That's what karaoke is all about.  If you want to dictate what songs are going to be done, become a DJ.

Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:32 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

I have a lot of control on what my singers sing. They give me that control.
The best thing I ever did was to start keeping song lists of what the singers sing.
All my regulars have a song list I keep. Most of the time I am picking out their songs for them from their lists. They are having fun in the bar and don't want to think about picking out their own songs. They have learned through time to trust me with song sellection. If someone wants to sing a slow song and I know it will kill the mood and have a poor response I suggest them to wait until later. People want the audience to like what they sing and respond with a lot of applause.  I have their list in front of me, so I can say, "How about doing this song instead. You will get a much better response, the crowd is much to wound up to appreciate a slow song right now. I know you will do a wonderful job on this song and I would hate for people to ignore it." Then I try to make sure the crowd responds loudly. Then next time you make a suggestion to this person about doing a different song they will trust you.

Sometimes you have no choice you must play the song they want to sing. You can only suggest a change.

Now in my opinion rotation is reputation. If you start only letting people sing in the order you want them to sing in you're asking for trouble. Singers know who they come after in rotation and know when they have been skipped. They won't come back if they feel like they've been cheated. Sure I have some horrible singers in my rotations. The way I run rotation is when a person first comes in I place them 3 to 5 singers down in the rotation, so if I know they are a bad singer I will put them between to good ones. Once you are in that rotation order you stay there the rest of the night unless new singers come in and get added. I don't put all my new singers at the end.

Bad singers or singers who only sing slow songs. There is a place for everyone. People get a hoot out of watching someone bomb a song. That's what karaoke is all about. Singers that only sing slow songs. I have a couple of those. I just put them together in the rotation if possible and announce it's time for slow dancing to grab a partner, but no butt grabbing - hee hee. It seems if i announce it I'll get a lot of dancers - if I don't announce it I probably won't have any. Believe me the crowd likes a chance to get a little closer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:50 pm 
Welcome to the world of "customer service."   You have to kiss their a** now.   They pick what they want to sing.  You have to deal with it, if you want to keep working.   You can sing the fast songs.   The singers keep themselves entertained.   You must entertain the majority.  The non singers.   Fast songs keep them there and awake and having fun.   It's part of the deal.    If the non singers bail on you, the bar owner will bail on you, also.    Most of the time I sing what I have to sing, not necessarily what I want to sing.    Karaoking is not like DJing.    It never will be.  They are two different animals.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:00 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Very true Bigdog. I try not to sing if I'm really busy, but sometimes
you have to. I would say 99% of the time I'm singing what the crowd
wants, not what I want. I'm so sick of Redneck woman -  LMAO

I'm more concerned with his rotation. If he is skipping people because of what they sing I think he is asking for trouble. I've had people threaten me with bodily harm because they thought they were skipped.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:13 pm 
There are many KJs that have a good following by playing favorites.   It doesn't help the bar owner make as much money as they could, but try to tell them that.   I also know of many KJs that don't work anymore and can not figure out WHY.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:52 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

I am in a small community and have found that if you interfere in the music choice or rotation order , other than adding a new singer, you loose singers, and they don't come back for some time. They also don't like much chit chat on mic except by the singers. So the less talk the KJ does, the better here. In some ways, makes for easy work. BUT, it also makes for a less exciting show some nmights. I find I have to step up and sing more often as there are not many really good singers here and people will also walk out if there are no good singers. Small towns can be so easy some nights, and so tough others. Sure keeps you on your toes as a KJ..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:12 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I don't need motivation to sing fast song; cos I don't, I hate singing fast song. What is wrong with slow song. Yes I ask, WHAT IS WRONG WITH SLOW SONG?

Did I ask; What is wrong wht slow song?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 4 times
Quote:
I'm so sick of Redneck woman

"     "   "     "     "           "     (ditto--even though I've never sung it; it seems to be tapering off, though--I haven't heard it at any karaoke places in a while)

I mostly do fast songs.  (And, Flipper, I am 43.  So there.    LOL ).  But once in a while I like to do a slow 1.  Sometimes the crowd responds to the slow songs, sometimes they don't--but it's that way w/the fast songs too sometimes.  

I don't have a list of songs--I usually just think, "Let's see--what do I feel like singing now?" and only put in 1 or 2 songs at a time.  Usually just 1, but sometimes I'll think of another song I wanna do, and I'll write it down and give it to the kj while it's still fresh in my brain.  Sometimes I can't decide between 2 songs and I give 'em both to the kj and say, "Here, you decide what order they should go in."  

A friend of mine says slow songs are easier to sing.  I say that depends on the song, at least for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:00 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

I find slow songs easier, but also take more concentration. I just keep a watch on the listeners, and the more of them I see talking and not watching, I think it's time to speed it up for a sec and just do one myself. Some nights I don't have to sing at all, others, I sing quite a few. But to me, that's part of my job. I've seen a few KJs that never sing when they really could have used it. and they all had lots of people walking out. And I agree with the premis that you need to give them what they want, and do your best to fill in the rest.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:49 pm 
A KJ that doesn't sing or can't sing, is a fool.    I can think of one I know real well, that SUCKS with singing.   He use to DJ and turned into a KJ because he wasn't working enough.   He still loses KJ jobs because he's a jerk.   He drives people out of bars.  Believe me you would not want to listen to him for more than 1 song.   He has a small following because he play favorites.   Don't ask him to sing.  He can do some of the talking songs real good, but how many of those are there?    You need to sing to keep the non singers happy.   Period.   If you don't you're gone.   I have a list of around 600 songs I can sing.  They are in my master book that I keep right on the table so I can look them up instantly.  I have all of the key changes marked.   I can sing the entire four hours, if I have to.   I have already done 3 hours in a night.   Most of them were back to back.   Once I start playing the music never stops.   So if you want to KJ you better know a lot of songs.   Different types of music, also.   Not the same stuff, it will get boring.   You have to be able to entertain the entire crowd, the entire night.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:20 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

I agree. I can't see a KJ lasting very long without the ability to sing and fill in where needed. Like being able to do duets. Picture and I've Had The Time OF My Life and any Grees song, seem to be top duet favs here, and I get so many requests to do these with lonely ladies. I do it. It gives them a thrill regardless of how bad they do, and they come back next show. I think to be a good KJ, you  need to be a singer. Maybe not a great one, but able to at least carry a tune and be willing to do almost any music, to do those duets and fill in when the pace needs to be changed.
23 years ago, I was a lounge singer. Did some bars, but mostly louges. That was just my style of music. I would again, but my memory ain't what it was. So karaoke works for me. But unfortunately, in some town, like here, the order of the day is cheep cheep cheep entertainment regardless of how bad it is. I was really hopeing to change that. But, not working out well so far. But then, I'm stuborn.... :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:19 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Pablo @ Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:23 pm wrote:

2. Moving from the model of "Rotation" to "Round", For example your 3rd song is in the 3rd rotation, but you may not come up in the same order as you were in previous rotations. (KJ gets to pick how the songs are within a rotation to maximize crowd energy)

1. If your motivation for suggesting a fast song to me is selfish on your part, I am not interested. If you come across a song that you think I will enjoy, and we have chatted a bit more over time than merely a greeting when I hand in a song slip, make the suggestion. I may do it--NEXT round. I have a song in for this round, thank you very much.

2. If I sing at the beginning of round 2, then at the end of round 3, you have for all intents and purposes skipped me and I will not be coming back. Until I know you are gone, which I presume will happen pretty quickly. And if I sing at the end of round 3 but you move me back up in round 4 becuase you like my song, who else in the crowd will you have alienated?

The audience you should be concerned with keeping is the singers. We want to sing what we want and at the spot in the rotation we have gotten. A big part of the fun of karaoke is Lena Horne follwed by Metallica, follwed by whatever comes up next.

I've run a karaoke show before. Shows that drag are boring and irritating. But if the crowd...the singers...want something lower key, then they should have it. They are paying my salary. I sing the fast ones, as others have suggested, or go with the flow, as I see fit. If you don't have enough energy and presence as the emcee to keep the energy up when the song are slow, get a DJ gig.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:37 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Echo Karaoke @ 2nd July 2006, 4:20 pm wrote:
I agree. I can't see a KJ lasting very long without the ability to sing and fill in where needed. Like being able to do duets. Picture and I've Had The Time OF My Life and any Grees song, seem to be top duet favs here, and I get so many requests to do these with lonely ladies. I do it. It gives them a thrill regardless of how bad they do, and they come back next show. I think to be a good KJ, you  need to be a singer. Maybe not a great one, but able to at least carry a tune and be willing to do almost any music, to do those duets and fill in when the pace needs to be changed.
23 years ago, I was a lounge singer. Did some bars, but mostly louges. That was just my style of music. I would again, but my memory ain't what it was. So karaoke works for me. But unfortunately, in some town, like here, the order of the day is cheep cheep cheep entertainment regardless of how bad it is. I was really hopeing to change that. But, not working out well so far. But then, I'm stuborn.... :-)

It actually is the opposite in my country. KJ that like to sing will not last long. Singers here do not like KJ to take up a place in the rotation no matter how short the rotation is. Its OK for KJ to help in duet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:29 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
Texas Gigi @ Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:19 pm wrote:
Pablo @ Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:23 pm wrote:

1. If your motivation for suggesting a fast song to me is selfish on your part, I am not interested. If you come across a song that you think I will enjoy, and we have chatted a bit more over time than merely a greeting when I hand in a song slip, make the suggestion. I may do it--NEXT round. I have a song in for this round, thank you very much.

2. If I sing at the beginning of round 2, then at the end of round 3, you have for all intents and purposes skipped me and I will not be coming back. Until I know you are gone, which I presume will happen pretty quickly. And if I sing at the end of round 3 but you move me back up in round 4 becuase you like my song, who else in the crowd will you have alienated?

The audience you should be concerned with keeping is the singers. We want to sing what we want and at the spot in the rotation we have gotten. A big part of the fun of karaoke is Lena Horne follwed by Metallica, follwed by whatever comes up next.

I've run a karaoke show before. Shows that drag are boring and irritating. But if the crowd...the singers...want something lower key, then they should have it. They are paying my salary. I sing the fast ones, as others have suggested, or go with the flow, as I see fit. If you don't have enough energy and presence as the emcee to keep the energy up when the song are slow, get a DJ gig.
I like the way this post is followed up by a quote by Voltaire.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:21 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

One of my KJ friends announces throughout his show that the more high energy type of song you pick, the faster you'll get to sing. So he works his rotation accordingly. I don't know if that policy ever backfires on him, though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:25 am 
Jovi, your friend will have a very limited following of people.  So he basically has no rotation of any kind.   Won't last long in the real karaoke world.   Not saying he won't have a following and not saying that the bar won't be full of people, but the number of places he can play will be small.   Not every bar wants that type of music all night.    Look at what 90% of the singers usually sing, and it's not that.    The main idea of a bar having any entertainment is to build up the revenue.   If they can't make money, they won't have it.   So to show favoritism to the rock singers isn't always in the bars best interest.   It won't make the majority of the singers too happy either.    Make the bar money you work, don't and you won't.   65-80% of the crowd is NONSINGERS.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:20 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Ya know, Bigodg, I will concede that the majority of the crowd is made up of nonsingers. Most of the places I have worked and/or played have two different types of nonsingers--those that are there specifically to hear the singers (not necessarily "friends" of the singers) and those who really don't care because they are shooting pool, playing darts, or just drinking.

A tense karaoke show will run off even those who are not actively listening because the atmosphere in the bar will be charged iwht negative energy. (Good grief I sound like the new age hippie that I am.) But it's true. If you can tell people are not having fun around you, then your capacity for fun diminishes. Sometimes even overdoses of alcohol do not help.