KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Soundcard for laptops Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Soundcard for laptops
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 1:26 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I am going to slowly move over from disc based to computer based system. I have a decent laptop I bought that works well. I bought one of Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS Notebook PCMCIA Card for it and it sounds decent. I will be going to rackmount computer in the future with laptop as backup system.

So, for now I want the best sound I can get out of my laptop. Is that Audigy unit give out decent sound or is there something better? I am mostly concerned about the quality of the audio output. Thanks in advance.

Seize the day and SING!!!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:38 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
In all honesty Creative is Junk.

Pick up an:

Echo Indigo DJ
MAYA 44 Usb
Gigaport

Those are the 3 widely used Pro - Soundcards.

Or look at a NuMark USB mixer.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:02 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

lyquiddye @ Thu May 18, 2006 3:38 am wrote:

Pick up an:

Echo Indigo DJ
MAYA 44 Usb
Gigaport

Thanks for the response. Now, can you be more spcific? Is Creative junk because it sounds terrible or because of reliability? Also, which of the three do you prefer? I would like best sound quality possible. It would seem USB based means I have carry an external unit with me. If they sound about the same, I would think PCMCIA solution is more elegant. What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:53 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I've been hearing that for a long time about Creative.

Their USB soundblaster mp3+ device is just FINE. I liked it so much, I've bought three others in case one DOES have a problem. Use the third for my home computer since the onboard out died on me.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I have been using Creative Soundblaster products for my shows for 3 years now.

I really like the PCMCIA card for my laptop. I'm extremely happy with the sound and reliability over the past couple of years.

I also have a NZ USB series and use that for my home system. Good Product.

The only product I have purchased from them that I had problems with was an LS internal soundcard. The input jacks they use are a bit flimzy and do not take kindly to repetitive set up and tear down applications. I have replaced 2 on my shuttle computer. This model only costs $30 so if I have to replace once a year or so thats not bad.

The other 2 units have proven very durable.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
Some people don't settle for what is cheap and works.

The Echo Indio DJ is 2 independent sound cards in one PC card. The sound is 7 times cleaner than any soundblaster product. I think it sound the best out of any sound card I have ever heard.

The Maya 44usb and Gigaport are basically the same cards. Not as Clean as the Echo, but still 5 times up on any creative product. I like these cards for the RCA out vs the Echo's 1/8" outs.

Problems with soundblaster includes hardware conflicts, latency issues, the pcmia card are poorly manufactured, the cable that connects to the card is very easy to break, we had one just snap off.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:29 am 
I like the look and input/ouput capabilities of the Echo Digital Audio Hardware http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/PCI/  haven't found a price sheet on this site yet but I do like the amount of combinations for in/out that these toys bring to the table.  Musician sites show the average price for the Gina 3G at $279, Layla 3G at $499 and I didn't look for the price of the MiaMIDI PCI card.  Definitely on the higher end for the price range for a sound card that I normally suggest but these toys have a helluva lot more options than your basic Creative USB soundcard etc.  As with everything, you get what you pay for.  Definitely some nice toys though... Here are some other USB/Firewire sound card devices to see some other options.  

http://www.bswusa.com/searchresult.asp?searchType=category&subcat=comp-inter

There are devices from $39 clear up to $2650 depending on your needs.  These will definitely give you some good ideas of what is available and potential of what a true PC setup can offer.  Thanks, Lyquiddye,  for pointing some of us in the direction of these interfaces... some great options available...

Tig

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:39 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Interesting link... I see Behringer has finally released a USB connectable mixer.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:43 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
knightshow @ Thu May 18, 2006 10:53 pm wrote:
I've been hearing that for a long time about Creative.

Their USB soundblaster mp3+ device is just FINE. I liked it so much, I've bought three others in case one DOES have a problem. Use the third for my home computer since the onboard out died on me.

I too use themp3+ ( http://www.soundblaster.com/products/mp3+/ ) device at my shows.  I own 3 of them.  And they are cheap, and never had any problems.

I tried the  Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA card, and found it to be "tinny" sounding, so I returned it, and stayed with the MP3+.

Yes, I probably could get better sound if I purchased a high end sound card, but in my case, it is a expense that is not a necesity.  If I switched, no one that comes to any of my shows would notice the difference.

Now if you are one of the obssesive types, and must have the best of the best just to set your mind at ease, by all means purchase a high end "pro" sound.  Someday perhaps I will, but for now, what I use works fine for my situation.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

thank you for the information on the Echo Indio card. Perhaps I will look at this card for use in the future. Right now I'm fine with my sound cards and their performance.

Obviously a unit that sells for $160-200 is going to be provide superior sound. Right now I cant justify the extra cost.....maybe if I heard the difference I would think differently.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:29 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
knightshow @ Fri May 19, 2006 5:39 am wrote:
Interesting link... I see Behringer has finally released a USB connectable mixer.

Yeah but their USB link is nothing more than an external converter that could hook into any mixers outputs.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:01 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks for the inputs. Looks like I will be checking out Echo Indio DJ card for my use. I have seen them on sale on Ebay so I will be shopping around. Thanks again for the help.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:25 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I was at compusa today, and literally laughed in this poor $8 an hour flunky's face.

Tried to tell me you couldn't use a USB 2.0 hub without power. Not only that, I found a "thumbdrive hub" right there http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... pfp=SEARCH

Not exactly what I was looking for, but it worked. It also comes with a wired connector about 3" long ( usb male connector to a female connector) so you don't have to immediately be on back or front of the PC.

I asked about Plextor drives. They NEVER HEARD of them! LOL! showed them on their own website the models I was looking for. Problem is, they're three times too expensive.

For just about anything, COMPUSA's three times too expensive. They had USB 2.0 cables for $27!!! Same with BEST BUY! I walked over to Walmart and got the exact same cable for $5! SHEESH!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:49 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 34 times
lyquiddye @ Thu May 18, 2006 6:38 am wrote:

Pick up an:

Echo Indigo DJ
MAYA 44 Usb
Gigaport

That's a funny comment :no:  

I've been buying Creative cards for years and never had an issue? I do own the Audigy2 ZS Notebook and simply love it, but of course, it doesn't compare with my Emu-1212m I have on my desktop, well, it's got to be crap too cause it's from Creative Pro!!

They have THE best key changer with EAX Console and their Emu-1212m & up are using the best D/A converter on the market, (same converters used in Digidesign's Flagship Pro Tools HD 192 I/O interface) you'll need to spend lot's of money to get that sound quality with any other brands!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:57 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Micky @ 20th May 2006, 4:49 am wrote:
lyquiddye @ Thu May 18, 2006 6:38 am wrote:

Pick up an:

Echo Indigo DJ
MAYA 44 Usb
Gigaport

That's a funny comment :no:  

I've been buying Creative cards for years and never had an issue? I do own the Audigy2 ZS Notebook and simply love it, but of course, it doesn't compare with my Emu-1212m I have on my desktop, well, it's got to be crap too cause it's from Creative Pro!!

They have THE best key changer with EAX Console and their Emu-1212m & up are using the best D/A converter on the market, (same converters used in Digidesign's Flagship Pro Tools HD 192 I/O interface) you'll need to spend lot's of money to get that sound quality with any other brands!

Thats funny:

Have anyone ever compare Creative card to those Endigo DJ etc. To my knowledge Creative are made for home users mostly for games and home entertainment. thats why you get a 5.1 output.

We all like to use the best; the best speakers, the best amp the board and yet we compromised on the card when we go PC. Just because we have no problem with the card so far does not mean its good enough.

Why buy a $100 mic when a $50  one almost sound the same. Why use a $1000 amp when a $300 amp can do the same job. Because they are better.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:28 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 34 times
I'm not saying creative are making the best audio cards, of course the SB are design for mass and for games... I wouldn't compare any SB to a pro card, but to say it's junk? Let's be fair here, let's compare the Indigo with an E-Mu1616 (Creative Pro) and see, I have a pretty good feeling who will win!!

I'll repeat, the Creative products are a bargain for what you get, just the EAX software's are excellent! And BTW, the Audigy2 ZS Notebook is on sale at $75.00 with all the software, that's a best buy in my opinion!!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:50 pm 
Anybody (magazines) check these out with side-by-side comparisions?     We need data.    Get some data.... I want the best money will buy.   For around $500.

Where are the electronic gurus?????   :hug:

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:43 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

As far as pcmcia cards go I'd recommend the Echo Audio Indigo IO card as it has a line out and a line in for recording the singers if you need it. Alternatively some USB devices worth considering are the Edirol UA-25 and the Tascam US-122.

All of these devices can be found at reasonable prices on Ebay. I have all three BTW and if I had to lose one it might be the Tascam, tough call. My favourite is probably the Edirol. There's nothing to choose sound-wise between all 3.

GH

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

knightshow @ Fri May 19, 2006 10:25 am wrote:
I was at compusa today, and literally laughed in this poor $8 an hour flunky's face.

Tried to tell me you couldn't use a USB 2.0 hub without power. Not only that, I found a "thumbdrive hub" right there http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... pfp=SEARCH

Not exactly what I was looking for, but it worked. It also comes with a wired connector about 3" long ( usb male connector to a female connector) so you don't have to immediately be on back or front of the PC.

I asked about Plextor drives. They NEVER HEARD of them! LOL! showed them on their own website the models I was looking for. Problem is, they're three times too expensive.

For just about anything, COMPUSA's three times too expensive. They had USB 2.0 cables for $27!!! Same with BEST BUY! I walked over to Walmart and got the exact same cable for $5! SHEESH!

We are lucky to have Fry's electronics for almost everything I need. The service sucks and the worker's knowledge is about as anywhere else but they have two things going for them: price and absolutely great return policy.  If you know exactly what you want, the prices are about the same as average price you would find on the net. However, you have to pay sales  tax but you get it right away rather than waiting without having to pay for shipment.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:48 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
Lately I have setup 3 laptops in about as many weeks..  For the noney the Griffin iMic is hard to beat I have compared it with all the onboard audio and the delta 44 in the rackmount it is awesome. Google Griffin iMic..  I found out awhile ago I can use it in conjunction with the onboard sound and get 4 tracks (2 stereo) out. The iMic has a line in for recording so using the line in onboard too provides 4 tracks in for recording..
 For recording into the mic input it requires a voltage divider such as  this