KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Help with finding a gig Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help with finding a gig
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:45 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
As some of you know I left my last steady gig in Dec. 08. Since then I have been doing so fill in work, and wedding and school dance gigs. But I'm still searching for a steady karaoke gig. I have put together a small sales pitch (still tweaking it), and have handed out hundreds of cards, but nothing seems to be coming my way. Does anyone have any ideas they would want to share. I would greatly appreciate any and all advice. I'm in the St. Louis Mo area, and I am getting alot of "we already have karaoke". I don't want to steal a gig from anyone, but I know I put on a kickin' show, and can help a venue increase revenue, so what can I do. HELP!!!

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:23 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
Our area is saturated right now and highly competitive for bar gigs. I just put in a 300 dollar add for outside gigs and private parties. My only reg gig is Thur and I decided to keep the weekends open for more lucrative deals. I also do standby and spot gigs for some bars. Actually a steady gig to me anymore gets boring.

I dont remember how many times I turned down a 3 or 4 hundred dollar gig because I was committed to a bar. It is something to think about.

ad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:53 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 15 times
I just started doing something I should have done a long time ago. Yesterday I got in my car and went to several places, walked in, handed them my card and introduced myself. I should get one or two gigs out of that. If you do that a few times you'll have at least a couple or five one night tryouts. It's really not that bad, it's all about attitude and being positive and optimistic. I wish I had done it months ago.

It's extremely competitive here too. Many places already have a KJ in place and lots of places don't want anything to do with Karaoke. You just need to smile and go on to the next place. It's the proverbial numbers game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:47 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
Memorable mailings, wait 3-4 days, follow up with phone call referencing mailing, wait 2-3 days, follow up with visit if appointment hasn't already been made, repeat as needed.

I've been turned down 1 or 2 times by a venue, only to be hired at a later date.

Come up with a good ad, and post it at all the free internet sites you can find ( Karaokelistings, Oodle, Kugli, Local, Craigslist, etc...). Use as many keywords as possible ( Karaoke Host, KJ, Party, Event Services, etc...)

This will bring you way more inquiries than a dedicated site, and lots of 'net exposure. If a particular site only gets you requests for cheap work you can always turn it down, but keep the listing for added web rankings.

Stogie has really given the best answer though.....LEGWORK!

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:40 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
You have to do something to make yourself stand out. Just handing out business cards is rarely going to be an effective tactic. Put together a promotions kit that you can give the bar. A "one-sheet" (band term for a one page description of the bnad) for your business works really well and is more than most bars get from Karaoke hosts.

Then pick out a bunch of clubs/bars/restaurants in your area that you think would be good for Karaoke. Call each one and ask them if they have Karaoke and what night (like as if your a potential customer looking for a place to sing). If they give you information on their Karaoke night, cross them off the list they're not in the market for a new host. The ones that tell you they don't have it, circle and those are the ones you want to go visit. In person is the only way to do this. Don't talk to a bartender, find out who is responsible for booking entertainment (if they have bands or other entertainment). If they don't, ask to speak with a manager or owner. Sometimes they're reluctant to give up this information so you may want to have a drink or two and sweet talk the bartender/waitstaff a little.

In the end you have to do your homework and understand theh place you're going to approach before you approach them. Just walking in cold and saying here's my card give me a call if you want Karaoke, doesn't get it done. Show some personality, be friendly and professional. Don't make it look like your just out searching for gigs, make it clear that you want to play THEIR bar/club/etc. Make them believe you hand picked them and show them that you understand what is important to them (butts in the seats drinking and eating). Show them how you can improve that.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:08 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
karyoker @ Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:23 am wrote:
Our area is saturated right now and highly competitive for bar gigs. I just put in a 300 dollar add for outside gigs and private parties. My only reg gig is Thur and I decided to keep the weekends open for more lucrative deals. I also do standby and spot gigs for some bars. Actually a steady gig to me anymore gets boring.

I dont remember how many times I turned down a 3 or 4 hundred dollar gig because I was committed to a bar. It is something to think about.

ad

Hey Ollie I think you need to check this out. I found it on another site

http://www.karaoke-tutor.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=784

Lone Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:37 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Quote:
Hey Ollie I think you need to check this out. I found it on another site

LOL If I were unknown in the area he might have some valid points. However I have been doing outside gigs in that area (3rd generation) for years that range from 3-600 dollars. I am well known and my system has a very good reputation.

The main purpose of that ad was to let then know I am available again on the weekends and provide a new phone number.

If he would like to post some photos of his system here I would be interested.

I have a full description on the web and have posted photos here of my system and setups.

If you can call a snake hooked up to this a bunch of wires then I'm guilty' I even run video to the graphics monitor and big screen thru the snake.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:37 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 146 times
What's the back of that thing look like?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:59 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Quote:
What's the back of that thing look like?

To be honest its sort of messy now but I have dressed and installed many radar. tv studio and other racks and laced the cables with nylon lacing twine. Now I just use plastic ties or even bread ties. Actually all the public sees is a snake hooked up.

As you can tell by the photo all inserts or feeds are ninety degree molded plugs. I do cut the cables at the right length to dress and route them in a professional manner.

Actually the rack is usually hidden and all you see is a laptop and a smiling host. We do run FOH and I have a very clean setup.

In this photo the rack is on the left side of the table and just showing is part of the the lcd monitor

photo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:10 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Ollie,

Considering the author of the post that Wolf linked I don't think you have much to worry about. From what I can tell the poster is thought of as kindly on that board as he used to be on this one.