KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Inexpensive Powered Speakers Suggestions? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:58 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
gunghouk @ Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:24 am wrote:
In my limited experience of powered speakers I have found no crossover present, only a high pass filter (3.5kHz) for protection of the compression driver. This is obviously for cost reasons.

The whole frequency response therefore hangs on the mid/low driver performane meshing seamlessy with the HPF and compression driver's performance so don't expect a super smooth frequency and phase response from a budget unit.

Typically the low/mid driver (12") is good from around 80Hz to 4.5khz but the compression drivers in these things really are budget, low sensitivity devices so top end falls off drastically above about 10kHz due to the poorly matched sensitivities of the 12" driver and the compression driver.
Normally attenuation is required for the compression driver to match the main low/mid driver.

My 2 cents

GH

What make/model are you basing this on. Most of the powered speaker have an electronic crossover built in that i've used.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:23 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
This was a real cheap powered cab from a company called Skytec with only a single power amp, a no name 12" speaker and no name compression horn.

I would expect dual amp configurations to use an electronic crossover.

Now I use the powered cab for mid duties only fed from an electronic crossover/dsp unit so I can delay the mids to the highs as well as provide protection and mains eq.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:48 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

The electronic crossover is done cheaply by dsp technology but again it's usually expensive to develop unless they can knock it off easily. Quality control is the big issue with speaker drivers.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:16 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 629 times
OFD-Sasha @ Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:43 pm wrote:
Hi guys...LOL..that is funny, no back room deals...I simply offered to send Loman a pair of speakers to listen to..he can make his own assesment. No strings attached. We are constantly challenged with the apprehensive buyer...I thought this would be a great opportunity for a non-partial review :) I'm sure Loman loves you all but I'm guessing he wouldn't want his address listed.

So Lonman, did Sasha ever come through on her offer above and if so, what is/was your opinion of these speakers?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:30 pm 

Hello!

Let me say up front that I registered for this topic. I apologize for dredging this up, but info on these speakers (from users) is hard to find. I'm extremely curious as to the outcome of saga: were the speakers sent? If so, how were they?

I'm a keyboard player looking for inexpensive amp alternatives.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:05 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

No nothing was sent nor any follow up email in any manner stating either they had changed their mind or anything else. Which leads me to believe my original suspicion about not only their quality, but reputation as well. PASS!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:42 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 15 times
As far as I know this is the top Karaoke website on the internet. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If they really wanted to promote their product to thousands of people all over the US and Canada, they could have done so easily and inexpensively by following through and sending Lonman or LondonLive a pair of speakers to evaluate. Any decent company who really stands behind their products would have recognized this as a good promotional opportunity. Their target market is this whole community. People here buy a lot of audio gear, A LOT!

As far as a "money back guarantee" or "100% satisfaction guarantee", "Lifetime Guarantee" etc., my recent experience with some Chinese companies has been less than satisfactory. They will do anything they can to not honor these guarantees. They are just hollow slogans that are meaningless when it comes to actually honoring them. Be careful, don't fall for them, in fact when you see these slogans just click away to something else knowing that it's a bunch of bull $hit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:56 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
stogie @ Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:42 pm wrote:
If they really wanted to promote their product to thousands of people all over the US and Canada, they could have done so easily and inexpensively by following through and sending Lonman or LondonLive a pair of speakers to evaluate. Any decent company who really stands behind their products would have recognized this as a good promotional opportunity. Their target market is this whole community. People here buy a lot of audio gear, A LOT!

I know Musician's Friend was hurt quite a bit by the defection of forum posters over the past 18 months -- not just here but on LAB lounge. And they knew it, too -- internet forum links are about the best advertising they have, since it doesn't cost them a dime.

I bought something from them for a change, and they called me asking why it had been so long. I told them the issues I had, and that I had stopped putting links on the forums and newsgroups I frequent. They actually refunded money on a problem I had 11 months ago! I am now occasionally posting an MF or GC link again. I still like zZounds pretty well, but they just did something that tinkled me off a bit. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I didn't know MF or GC had forums. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:30 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
stogie @ Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:37 pm wrote:
I didn't know MF or GC had forums. Thanks!

Actually, I am talking about links to equipment posted on this and other audio forums like LAB lounge. I bet there have been a fistful of Yamaha MG82/124/166C(X) mixers bought at zZounds due to links here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Ok, I reread your post and misunderstood what you had said, thanks for the clarification.

This place really is a valuable resource for a lot of people and it has an entertainment and recreational value too. I'm surprised that there isn't even more participation considering how popular Karaoke is and there are billions of people on this planet. Heck, if you just take the population of the US, there are probably millions of Karaoke fans just in the US alone. I imagine there are lots and lots of people who just lurk here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:37 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 146 times
I would agree that this site has a reputation for knowledgeable posters so negative feedback such as mine earlier this week about Karaoke Warehouse is not good for the company. Is the company still selling online for the speakers that were to be sent to lonman?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:22 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

ripman8 @ Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:37 am wrote:
I would agree that this site has a reputation for knowledgeable posters so negative feedback such as mine earlier this week about Karaoke Warehouse is not good for the company. Is the company still selling online for the speakers that were to be sent to lonman?

Yeah they are still selling, obviously they do not need the opinion from anyone here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next