KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Mackie DFX6 or Soundcraft EFX8 Mixers Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:29 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I need to purchase immediately a new mixer. Im looking at either the mackie DFX6 or the Soundcraft EFX8. would like advice on which one has a better quality effects and better pre amps. I have a yamaha MG16/6 and find the sound to be a little thin and tinny sounding. I use the Sure Beta 58a mics and have always been very happy with them.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:09 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I vote for Mackie!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:44 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I will go for Soundcraft if money is not an issue; There are good reasons why they are generally more expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:17 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
You won't be disappointed with either, but in these two choices i'd opt for the Soundcraft. Better efx section & eq sections, the Mackie will have better preamps but the trade off will be worth the difference.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:34 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Im leaning toward the Soundcraft EFX 8. They are using GB30 pre amps but I have no knowledge about how good or bad that is. Anyone have any info on this

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:59 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
ALGAE @ Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:34 pm wrote:
Im leaning toward the Soundcraft EFX 8. They are using GB30 pre amps but I have no knowledge about how good or bad that is. Anyone have any info on this

They're fine. You aren't going to get real quality preamps on little mixers like this, the Mackies are probably the best as far as small consoles, but then the trade off for the efx & eq section isn't worth it. The Soundcraft will be more than ample.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:40 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

I came across this statement from soundcraft.....The Soundcraft EFX uses the highly transparent GB30 Mic amp (designed by Graham Blyth for the company's 30th anniversary and also used on the larger LX7ii and GB Series professional consoles).doesnt sound to bad does it. Also I see on line the efx8 and efx12 are the same price (409.00) Doesnt make sense http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... =147227646

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 15 times
Whooo, I'm drooling after looking at the Soundcraft EFX12. Dude, go for it, you only live once. Put it with a powerful amp and some good speakers and you will be gold. Thanks for the discussion, I may just change my whole setup. I've been wanting to go to a mixer and separate amp. Let us know what you get...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:43 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
If the EFX8 is in fact using the same preamps as the mid level GB series Soundcraft consoles then this becomes an easy answer. The GB30 is a fine preamp. If you are used to using a board with lower quality preamps It might take a little getting used to as the GB30 is very transparent in nature. Another board you might want to take a look at is the Allen & Heath Zed series. Some models are similar in price to the Soundcraft but come with 100MM faders and USB capabilities also with great preamps and EQ section. I'm kind of an Allen & Heath fan myself but the Soundcraft is right up there with them. Don't you just love all the choices when you start thinking outside of the box.:wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 56 times
I just switched to the Soundcraft 12/2 from the Mackie DFX6 and all I can say is wow!!!! There is a bit of a learning curve with the Lexicon FX over what is on the Mackie. Mackie is a great board but needed to upgrade for more board space.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:32 am 

Hello all,

After reading various forum regarding the soundcraft efx mixer, I decided to finally get one. My problem is, I don't really know how to set it up with the lexicon processor. My equipment is as follow.

DVD karaoke -> mixer channel stereo 1
Shire mics -> mixer channel 1&2
Mixer insert L&R -> Dbx 266XL w/ Y cable
Mixer out -> JBL Eon G2

On the mics ch, the settings are as follow.
Gain @30
HF @3
MF @750Hz, 3db
LF @6
Aux1 @6
FX@8
Pan @0

Stereo channel 1 is all set to 0

This is where I don't understand. How do I adjust the lexicon processor. I tried everything I can think of, but it still doesnt sound right. Is my settings above correct?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.