KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Yamaha MG82CX and Mackie dfx-6 Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:35 am 

Been Liked: 0 time
Can anyone compare Yamaha MG82CX and Mackie dfx-6?

I want a mixer for my home karaoke system. Other components are:

1) Laptop with USB sound card
2) Harman Kardon receivers
3) 2 mono micphones

Karaoke music and videos are played by laptop.
I wish to record mixed sound (vocal and background music) on the laptop as well.

Thanks
-JZ

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:07 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I have the DFX12 model, and it's great!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:18 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
DFX6 or 12 is a good pick for a home use system.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
If you are serious about doing some recording you might want to consider a board with USB capabilities which neither of these boards come with. I only say that because most people end up purchasing a USB interface later so you might as well take the cost of an interface later and add it to the cost of the board now. That being said, both boards you mentioned are pretty even with neither one of them have a real upper hand on the other. The Plus side of the Mackie is that it gives you XLR outs, an extra return to use as a monitor and a 5 band graphic EQ ( a five band EQ really isn't to useful in real life) and faders on all channels. The down side is it only has a two band EQ on the channels, no compressor and a less than stellar FX engine (but useable). The Plus side of the Yamaha is that it has a three band EQ on the channels, two channels of one knob compression(very handy) and the FX engine from the SPX line (better than most). The down side would be No XLR outs, seems to lack a Aux return for monitors and knobs instead of faders ( I personally like faders because you can see where your at easier). SPEC wise the two boards are pretty much equals. Personally I would probably go with the yamaha because of the compression, three band EQ and the superior FX engine, all very useful features for what you have in mind. Once again I'd consider getting a board that is USB ready. Then again I guess it gets down to which features are important to you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:02 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

LondonLive @ 28th January 2008, 10:23 am wrote:
If you are serious about doing some recording you might want to consider a board with USB capabilities which neither of these boards come with. I only say that because most people end up purchasing a USB interface later so you might as well take the cost of an interface later and add it to the cost of the board now. That being said, both boards you mentioned are pretty even with neither one of them have a real upper hand on the other. The Plus side of the Mackie is that it gives you XLR outs, an extra return to use as a monitor and a 5 band graphic EQ ( a five band EQ really isn't to useful in real life) and faders on all channels. The down side is it only has a two band EQ on the channels, no compressor and a less than stellar FX engine (but useable). The Plus side of the Yamaha is that it has a three band EQ on the channels, two channels of one knob compression(very handy) and the FX engine from the SPX line (better than most). The down side would be No XLR outs, seems to lack a Aux return for monitors and knobs instead of faders ( I personally like faders because you can see where your at easier). SPEC wise the two boards are pretty much equals. Personally I would probably go with the yamaha because of the compression, three band EQ and the superior FX engine, all very useful features for what you have in mind. Once again I'd consider getting a board that is USB ready. Then again I guess it gets down to which features are important to you.

May I ask, why a usb board,when line out is just as good for recording?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote:
May I ask, why a usb board,when line out is just as good for recording?

Yes you may. it's as simple as what i already said. I read that the person had a laptop with USB that he intended on using to record with. I have lost track of how many posts that have been on here with people inquiring how to get around using the laptops headphone output. inevitably the answer always comes back "get an interface". I did note he had a USB soundcard which depending on the quality of it ( I hear turtle beach has a real nice one that is inexpensive) may be acceptable. I've been the route, first headphone out (not good), then USB sound card (not bad) and now I use an interface. Which I am very happy with. As far as
Quote:
line out is just as good for recording
, if we add the phrase "In the digital domain", then we'd have a whole nother debate wouldn't we. LMAO. I also made it clear that the only thing that really mattered is what features were important to him.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:28 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Quote:
Yes you may. it's as simple as what i already said. I read that the person had a laptop with USB that he intended on using to record with. I have lost track of how many posts that have been on here with people inquiring how to get around using the laptops headphone output. inevitably the answer always comes back "get an interface". I did note he had a USB soundcard which depending on the quality of it ( I hear turtle beach has a real nice one that is inexpensive) may be acceptable. I've been the route, first headphone out (not good), then USB sound card (not bad) and now I use an interface. Which I am very happy with. As far as

Now I see the logic, thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:28 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
If it's just for basic home recording, there is no need for a usb board, a simple usb converter will do just fine.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUCA202

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:21 pm 

Thank you very much for detailed comparison. You know much more than the folks at Guitar Center :)

One missing feature from the Yamaha is "Vocal Elimination". Maybe I can get a PC software to do it instead?

My USB sound card is Creative Labs "Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit External". It seems to be quite good for many DVD playbacks.

BTW, local Guitar Center at San Jose, CA has both mixers on sale: yamaha $143 (MSRP $219), dfx6 $199 ($259).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:14 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

jzhuge @ Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:21 pm wrote:
Thank you very much for detailed comparison. You know much more than the folks at Guitar Center :)

One missing feature from the Yamaha is "Vocal Elimination". Maybe I can get a PC software to do it instead?

My USB sound card is Creative Labs "Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit External". It seems to be quite good for many DVD playbacks.

BTW, local Guitar Center at San Jose, CA has both mixers on sale: yamaha $143 (MSRP $219), dfx6 $199 ($259).

I must have missed the "vocal elimination" feature on the Mackie, You'll have to wait for one of the Mackie guys to let you know how well that feature works, but I doubt it works well enough to have it be the deciding factor on your purchase. I did a quick check on your sound blaster and it has received a lot of positive reviews so it looks like you'd be alright there. So I guess it gets down to $143 is less than $199. LMAO