KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Does anyone have any experience with this? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:29 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 47 times
I had never heard of it, but my 13 year old son brought this place to my attention. It's called "Power Chord Academy".  

He's dying to go. He's got a great start already on playing electric guitar, he's gotten very good at reading tabs, he's a power chord fanatic, and he also plays some on the fiddle, banjo, drums, and mandolin- he just mainly likes to play rock guitar. He's  got a good ear for music, and very good rhythm. I think the place would benefit him quite a bit, getting to go to all the classes and hobknob with some pro instructors and players. It sounds like from sunup to sundown pretty much all they do is music SOMEthing.  

It seems a bit pricey for a one week camp tho (almost $1600)..... so, since many of you here play guitar, or have kids who do, I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with this place.  There's not many options for guitar camps (that concentrate on his style of music) close to where I live. And I'm not sending him to the east coast:)

(and please don't yank this thread... I'm not promoting anything, no links, I'm just asking a legit question... for personal opinions) :D

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:22 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
$1600 for a week.    :no:

I just started a few months ago learning the guitar, and I don’t see anything that a person can teach in a week that’s worth anything close to that.  

But maybe you’re loaded, so it’s all up to you.   :)

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:55 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

No, I'm not exactly "loaded" :no:...... this would be quite an expense for me. But what to spend my extra money on if not my kids?  

They do cram music teaching in every day, starting at 8 AM until lights out at 10 PM. He's a very fast learner, my nephew has shown him things that it takes him just a few minutes to grasp, he's just a natural on instruments. It's not "teaching him songs" that I think would benefit him, it's techniques and styles, and they even do production, he would learn to mix and all that. They are broken into "bands" by playing ability, and they come home with a music cd and a dvd video of their final on-stage concert. (which parents can attend) He got his electric guitar for his 12th birthday, and other than some things my (self taught) nephew has taught him, he's done very well learning on his own. I play acoustic, but don't have the ability to teach him ANYthing on the electric, especially with the style of music he likes to play. Most guitar lessons are classical, he scoffs at that. (i would too) So I just thought this a good idea. His school guitar class instructor (who's not much of a player, it's just a "bring your guitar and jam" type of class) told him about it, but has no "personal" experience with the place.

Yes, it's spendy.... if it weren't for that, I'd already have him signed up. (that, and the fact that NONE of my kids have ever been sent away from home for a week, I'm one of those old fashioned over protective mothers)  But I do think the experience would be great for him. ( i could even send him to both weeks, for more advanced training.... but my bank account would scream in protest)  

I'm just trying to see if anyone here - knows anyone - who's sent someone there, to see what they personally thought of the place. It's kinda farfetched (mostly just karaoke people here, not many die hard electric guitar players)..... but it was worth a shot asking. And starting this thread sure didn't cost me anything.  :whistle:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:50 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Edit:  See next post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:01 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Okay, this is what I did.

I posted your question on an electric guitar forum.  

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/for ... ?t=1607167

I hope this helps.    :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

blue that's alotttttttt, to me it's like when i took golf lessons, there's only so much they can teach u and u can learn in 1 week....i think that price is wayyyy out of line....

guessing he already knows how to form chords but let's say that there's some that don't and they pay that money, it takes over a week just to learn ur chords, so what did they learn in that week? they paid $1600 to learn how to form chords....that's alot.....jmo.....Billy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:34 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

This is the first response I got from posting your question on an electric guitar forum.  

Hopefully there’ll be more later.
-------------------------

[QUOTE=Voltaire;21910397]The academy splits people up into what music they like, you bring your own equipment min. 50watt amp for guitar..

but it mainly for those that already know what they're doing people that know music theory, i wouldn't suggest going unless you know you can play well.

it's for getting bands together. and if you can't play well with others then i think it would be a lost cause/be embarressing[/QUOTE]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:14 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

http://www.powerchordacademy.com/newSit ... hatToBring

I know you’re just asking for someone who has had some experience with this place, but I can’t help but chime in on this.  

:shock:   I just checked out their whole site and video, and to be brutally honest,

(Edit:  I removed what I said here so as not to offend.)

Suffice it to say, in my opinion, it's a total ripoff scam.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:27 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Upon more investigation, they require certain things that you likely won't have, then will RENT them to you.  Seems like at every turn, they want more money.

Check this out!
------
LESSONS & WORKSHOPS
Private lessons and workshops are available to Power Chord Academy students for an additional fee. Lessons are taught by our staff of professional musicians and come highly recommended. We offer beginner, intermediate and advanced classes to dramatically improve knowledge and playing ability. You can sign up for lessons during the online registration process or by logging into your student account.

------

They even charge extra for the LESSONS!  

It looks to me like it's all about making an MTV style video.  

This is what you'll end up with, and it's all worthless.

Leave with your own:
-Studio Recording CD
-Music Video DVD
-Concert Performance DVD
-PCA 50+ Page"Teen Musicians Handbook"
-Private Personal Review & Analysis
-Record Label Submission
-PCA Attendant Contact List
-PCA Summer Session T-shirt
-PCA Diploma

:no:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:39 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Thanks guys....

Yep, that's all I'm gonna say for now;)

I read here (and the other- guitar forum).... I'll post here again tomorrow morning. (yawn)... Charmin has to get some sleep. I've been multi tasking and haven't had the time to write a proper response. Gotta be proper yanno.

(and i have a bone to pick with someone :wink: , so till tomorrow... g'night)

But really, thanks:)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:44 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

BlueStainedShoes @ Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:39 pm wrote:
(and i have a bone to pick with someone :wink: , so till tomorrow... g'night)

:(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I have a friend who is going to the school of guitar that Robert Fripp teaches. Only students that are selected by Fripp himself may attend. But for $1600 bucks you get to travel to the Mayan Temples for a week and jam with Fripp as the sun comes up.
James

Being critical of a person's success in any respect speaks volumes about the lack of your own.

Love as though you've never been hurt, Dance as though no one's watching, Sing as though God Himself were listening.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:34 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

UnHinged @ Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:14 pm wrote:
(Edit:  I removed what I said here so as not to offend.)

Now that's not fair:)

Here I got up, drank me a stiff cup of coffee, cracked my knuckles, and came on here to pick that bone I was talking about..... and you've edited. Shame on you, that's not playing nicely.

Nah, I'm kidding. Thanks for placing it over there, it's a much more suitable place than here for the kind of question I posed. And, since it is, I posted my response over there:)

Quote:
Suffice it to say, in my opinion, it's a total ripoff scam

It's not a "ripoff scam".... expensively overpriced, yes, but not a "scam". The school here actually has a scholarship for it, which is how it came about that we learned of it. (explained in other thread) But if schools are putting money into a scholarship program for it, I'm sure they have good reason for thinking the program beneficial. We'll see, cause I just registered him and paid the $1600.

(psych... not really)

Billy: It is terribly expensive, huh? And what do you mean golf? Rednecks don't golf, they play football in the mud:)

I think a LOT could be learned in a week, actually. Not if you were going to learn to master the guitar and read sheet music, and all that.  I went to a mandolin workshop recently (one hour session) and came away knowing a few new things. (technique-wise) In Weiser Idaho at a fiddling festival, I sat in on a fiddle workshop, same thing. If you already have basic playing down pat, and have been in musical circles, and are past the beginner level..... you can grasp a lot of things in a short time. Yes, he's way past the "learning chords" level. He learned "chords" when he got his first little acoustic, he was 4. But he never paid the guitar much interest until about 2 years ago. And seriously, this kid plays probably 10-20 hours a week. Ask Odie, he'll tell ya.... that's about all Harley ever does when he's not in school, he loves it- and loves learning new stuff on guitar.

But, needless to say, I've reconsidered.  Since it was first brought up to him by the school that he's a good candidate for next years' scholarship, I've decided it's best to wait... and let him earn it:)  Maybe he'll keep his other grades up in hopes of going? A parent can only wish... haha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:48 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 11 times
Wait until he's around 16 and think about a 6 week summer program at Berklee or GIT in California (they cost roughly the same, if not a few hundred less for the one week seminars, and one week is too little to cram so much in, there's only so much that can be absorbed, the rest is practice.  Diffuse it over 6 weeks, or for that price ONE YEARS worth of private lessons).   See if you can invest that $1600 into a years worth of lessons locally from a good guitar instructor that has a knack for teaching, and shows an interest in what he is interested in, perhaps even taking him beyond "power chords"; while that's a start there's so much more he'll soon become interested in as he ages just a few years, and he'll take in more when he's a few years older and has a few more years of interest invested, 16 is generally around a time kids are ready to branch out beyond a narrow-area of focus.  That's about as costly as most camps get for guitar too. Berklee is roughly a few hundred less in fact, and the camps that offer the most guitar "bang for buck" at such a price, generally want kids to be a few years older, for intensive study. A good reason being that there's only so much a person can absorb in one sitting, or day anyway...  Whether it's a 1/2 hour intense lesson, or an intense day, at 13, he's better off with a good instructor and PRACTICING what he learned, there's A LOT a person can learn in just a 1/2 hour,  I wouldn't spend that for just "power chord" interest to be honest,  I'd spend that however for a MORE rounded guitar education, and you don't want him inundated with so-much that the experience is just a diminishing returns type thing. Intensive programs still require absorb------>practice----->practice---->lesson---->practice---->practice----->practice-----Lesson etc, and one week is really for a person that has PEAK focus, and is really ready to dive in and absorb A LOT.... Seriously, wait a few years, 16 is a good age to start to flood them with LOADS of stuff assuming they are disciplined, and ponder "Guitar Institute of Technology" for 6 weeks.  Save up for a semester program rather than one week..  Although these are general fun experiences, once again, 13 is somewhat young for such intensity, $1600 is quite steep, and I personally believe a years worth of personal lessons is a much more practical investment for 1600 bucks,  you can of course send him to a music camp, they are all around, and it doesn't have to be a specific type area of study at his age,  he'll meet up with others that have a comparable interest as long as there are other guitarists.. GIT, Berklee, a few of the Texas music camps offer intensive programs that also includes theory, and have a larger teaching staff, larger student showing. But that is steep for a 13 year old who can learn as much about power chords in a few private lessons for less IMHO...  

Heck,  I couldn't get much utility out've a "one week" seminar..  I'd go for the 6 week camp program at an accredited music school,  Most of the time needs to be practicing, and there's ONLY SO MUCH a person can absorb and digest at a time.

JMO...

A years worth of private lessons is a better idea at 13.  Power chords are essentially perfect 5th theory.  Basic interval theory doubling on certain notes, that's about it.. He can learn that at home...  If he wants to get more into Jazz or blues styles, country, or a certain genre, I'd say 6 week camp at about 16

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:15 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Here you go Charmin,

This is Kappy's cheap-a$$ed crib-note power chord camp for misers !

You can send your check in the mail to-

Quote:
Kappy's Power Khord Kamp for lower income folk

http://www.guitaralliance.com/guitar_le ... /index.htm
    http://members.tripod.com/~badseed_08/t ... hords.html
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/ ... hords.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:18 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Yeah, checking into in and thinking it over. (and er.... being dang near called an ignoramus for even considering it might I add... ) I think it best if I forget this place as a means to help him out. I mean, if he wins a scholarship, great....

But he has learned all he has by practice, and jamming with other people- they show him stuff- he shows them stuff, it's all good. And there's most likely not a site anywhere that he's not been to on the internet. I'm always yelling at him about my printer ink- he prints song tabs constantly. I didn't even know until a few days ago, that he has the guitar neck memorized, note by note. (something I never took time to learn) He has one friend who takes classical lessons, he shows Harley stuff like that and Harley in turn teaches him riffs and power chords he knows.

Ah well.... Maybe I just got excited about sending the hard headed kid to camp for a blessed week of not having to hear him and his dad go head to head.  LMAO

Quote:
Kappy's Power Khord Kamp for lower income folk

I'll have to check into that. Funny, I couldn't find a website for it tho....

:drunk:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:05 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

For those not familiar with the A/V guitar lessons online, this site is EXCELLENT, and free.   These instructors also offer the option of private lessons, jam disks, instructional disks...  via Cam and midi equipment..

Tonight was Satriani style, and thursday is Alex Lifeson.   Frequent live interactive lessons where you can ask questions, read charts see the instructor play the riffs on a video, etc..  Live lessons
http://www.riffinteractive.com/

http://www.riffinteractive.com/catalog/catalog.htm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:09 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Thanks for that Steven.     :wave:

In the immortal words of Homer Simson…

“Free… I can afford that!”

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:20 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

TY Steven.... I'm not sure if he's found this site. Not that I've seen anyhow (and I'm usually close by when he's on the comp)

I'll show him when he gets home from school.

Dang, why can't they have a mandolin site like that?  :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:31 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Yeah UnHinged and Charmin,  Lyle Ronglien is one dynamite guitarist. I like all t he instructors on this well run and maintained site !  (Riff Interactive).

Monday the thursday nights depending on time of year are the interactive class lessons, and the agenda is listed in advanced.  (Usually the progression is the instructors figure kids might get guitar for Christmas so beginning of new year starts beginning level lessons which get more advanced as the year progresses).  

Around now some of the intermediate lessons should be about to begin (and depending on style even we more advanced players can always stand to humble ourselves and take refresher beginning AND intermediate classes, especially as we get old and sloppy, and fingers start getting in the way of our technique  :shock: )

Enjoy,  I took many year end jazz, and mode theory classes with these guys, and thoroughly enjoyed them..   Just one hour in many cases was MONTHS of practice when things got more advanced in a genre that's not my particular area.  Even in areas I've played they lent some great ideas that I hadn't pondered for funk, contemp rock styles, etc.

Have fun.

Incidently if you find you like one of these instructors, they make their money teaching private interactive lessons, about 20 bucks I think for a 1/2 hour.  All you need is a cam, (sound helps too as does a guitar) LOL.  I've purchased the lessons in CD volumes, and their jam-backings as well !