KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Caffeine is a baaaaaad man! Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:10 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 50
Been Liked: 0 time
I gave up caffeine here about 10 days ago. Today I decided it wouldn't hurt me to have a small coke at McDonalds drive through and so I had that. It didn't even taste good at first. In fact it wasn't until I was almost halfway through it that it started to taste a slight bit appealing.  It made me remember when they introduced Coke in China after the opening of China to world trade. Most of the young teens etc who tried it said it tasted like medicine. They hated it. If not for the caffeine link, this would be another drink that just plain wouldn't get interest.

I went to the doctor and my blood pressure was high. She asked me if I had been drinking anything with caffeine.  She asked bacause it had been borderline to high several times in a row when I went in with other issues.  I asked if caffeine would contribute to high blood pressure and she said yes, it's a drug. I asked for copies of my medical records because my older ones turned out were destroyed after 7 years (state law to keep them even that long). On my visit she had written "caffeine abuse". I guess that's true since I told her I was drinking a 44 ounce Coke between 1 break and lunch at work every day and would sometimes stop for another one on the way home from work or drink one with dinner. That comes to 70-110 ounces of Coke a day, which is crazy. After realizing I also get a little buzz for about 1 hour and then I start falling asleep or getting tired after drinking Coke I thought....why am I drinking this stuff?

One other rant about caffeine.....

I had a cyst removed from my shoulder about 7 years ago and I asked the doctor where these come from. He said the type I had could come from drinking caffeine. I was a little amazed to find out there really are reppercussions to drinking Cokes. I always thought there weren't.  :(

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:21 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
everything in moderation dahlin ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:31 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 11 times
70-110 oz per day, that's only a little over 2 liters !  That's hardly even substantial unless you are chasing amphets, or 2 pots of coffee with it. How the heck can you even get out've bed in the morning with that little assistance ? Stop being such a lightweight and ask the doctor for a prescription of Dexedrine. take about 80 Mg per day, and knock out the sweet stuff,  the sugar is the problem.. drop the sugar and chase the amphets with 3 pots of coffee.. Not only does this serve to kick in dopamine, but it'll boost your IQ (caffeine and stimulants are in the smart drug category).  Stop be so masochistic. Enjoy your addiction !

So you get a little cystic ? In males that's unlikely caffeine, calcium deposits sometimes happen, they are referred to as Wens.. Unrelated to caffeine in most cases, fatty diets, genetics, and alcohol CAN cause these more than likely ! Thing about cysts, is that unlike caffeine, THOSE are at least easy to cut out; or better yet just leave them, and nurture them !! Look at them as character marks !  If God didn't want you to have any addictions, and dependencies, he'd have created you as a rock !!

I'd be more worried about your teeth, Dentists are scary ! but caffeine itself is our friend !!!  Switch to Diet Coke, a little Phenylalanine puts hair on your chest !  Aspartame is for real men !  Ciggies are dangerous, but caffeine is a necessary evil !  Real life requires we have some sort of psychostimulant to kick us into gear in order to face..

You do have other options,  but you really should do this adjunct with some type stimulant... Walk or jog 10 miles daily,  that will lower your BP... You need to be working off tension and stress Jeff...Regarding the caffeine, consider allowing it.. It makes people feel better, not EVERYTHING that makes us feel better is "baaad", in my own weighing pros and cons, yep,  I have serious digestive probs, and although caffeine doesn't help, the fact that these are psychosomatic (stress induced ulcers) and caffeine relaxes me, I don't worry about it.. Somethings going to kill us, if not a substance, it might end up being boredom that we die from !

OK, seriously now...  I'm exceptionally hyperactive,  I use caffeine as a means of lowering my BP, and calming me down..  Sorry you are having probs with this HIGHLY addictive substance.  I'm addicted to caffeine, however I accept this and forgive myself since I don't touch alcohol, ingest nicotine, or do anything else for fun..  Many of us NEED caffeine just to get out've bed !  It's an antidepressant, it *IS* an addictive substance,  but all that coke is going to make you gassy as all hell !  Although coffee is bitter, you might want to consider a different means of getting the drug into your system... Just exercize, and walk off the hypertension.. I've been battling hypertension my whole life,  but all kidding aside, caffeine is a successful form of self-medicating..  You are drinking that amount of caffeine for a reason, it makes you feel good, don't beat yourself up over "it being baaaad",  for some of us, it's a necessary evil... You might find that the elevated blood pressure is labile, and not related to the caffeine, while it's true in many females (slightly higher body fat content) caffeine does make them cystic, it can in men too but unless you are extremely hypersensitive to caffeine, You need to consider what might also be a fatty diet, (cholesterol intake) and lack of exercise. Do you drink alcohol ?  do you smoke ?  eat a high fatty diet content ?  Do you get out at least twice a week to a gym to work-off life stresses, play basketball in a league ? do you swim ?  Do you walk a distance at least 3X per week ?  These things are ARE very important additions to our lives as adult males living in a society where stress abounds, Jeff.  Regarding cysts,  drink apple-cider vinegar daily !

The caffeine at that quantity isn't a major problem for an adult male, realistically, unless you are VERY sensitive to the substance, it's insignificant in the form of Coca-cola, the sugar substances and other ingredients in regular coke at that quantity are not a good thing however, A lot of tooth, and stomach rot substances in that amount of coke.

True,  we live in a caffeine addicted society.. If you don't smoke, or drink alcohol, allow yourself the caffeine, MANY of us need the kick,  life is tough ! It has a strong antidepressant quality !   If your heart is strong,  workout, and boost the caffeine !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:50 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Quote:
everything in moderation dahlin

This is the #1 killer of so many !   Moderation is VERY dangerous !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:31 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

please explain steven, and while you are at it do you wanna do a little moderating your fingers down my spine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Quote:
drink apple-cider vinegar daily !

i just gave a certain stubborn someone some apple cider vinegar remedies but he's too much of a baby to drink the stuff.... :no:

it was very interesting to read all the medicinal uses of it....i've never tried any of them but i'm gonna....i ain't no big baby!

about the caffiene though, my cousin recently had to have a lot of cysts (benign) removed that the doctor said was caused by caffiene....how exactly does vinegar help this do you know?

hi jeff and wikki!   :wave:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:41 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

I used cider vinegar a lot when training horses. It was a natural remedy to aid tie up (when a horse's muscles cramp up and prevents them moving after exercise) it is caused by lactic acid in the muscles. It is also supposed to be good for gout and athritis. Supposedly good for many more things as well.
Its weird tho, I drink buckets of coffee and my blood pressure is never high. Perhaps its the combination of sugar, caffeine and aerated water???

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:56 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

yep, i read where it was good for muscle spasms and such to which he had in one of his legs....you know if he listened to me he'd be all better by now and i wouldn't have to listen to his whiningggggggggg all the time.... :roll:

you know i'm kiddin' you hon...kinda... :hug:

ok, i'm really gone now to listen to the song....it's your fault you know, stop posting 'til i'm out of here!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:48 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

It contains Pectin and that cuts cholestral.    Weirdest thing about ACV though..  I have horrible ulcers, and reflux;  One would think that drinking the ACV straight (which I do,  I don't dilute it) would burn the #*(# out've my innards.  It doesn't,  in fact I feel better after drinking the stuff, strange but true.  Maybe it's attacking that H. Pylori bacteria stuff that causes the ulcers, and excessive typing in chatrooms.

::::::::::runs around in circles trying to catch tail in mouth::::::::::

hit's table leg...

:::::::Changes directions, and chases tail counter-clockwise::::::::

:::::extends rear legs thru front legs and running on front legs only darts across living room scratching butt on carpeting:::::

::::  Runs to front door to pick up bone before one of the other KS varmin try to steal it, and runs back to the real world.....

later dudes....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Steven Kaplan @ Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:50 am wrote:
Quote:
everything in moderation dahlin

This is the #1 killer of so many !   Moderation is VERY dangerous !

That's right. That's one reason I chase tornadoes.

A friend of mine, 'Dangerman' - Geoff Mackley favorite saying was 'If you're not living on the edge. You're just taking up space'.

I found that intruiguing, but there are lots of ways to live on the edge, and it also means different things to different people. For some people just leaving their house is living on the edge.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:16 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Stephen as I recall vinegar is a base right? And it is supposedly health beneficial to have your body ph levels more base than acidic.  

What all good things does apple cider vinegar do though? Sounds like pretty good stuff, if I could stand to drink it.

As for caffein....there are limits. I love the stuff, but back in my early 20's I was programming for a software house. I would tend to skip lunch and drink cup after cup of coffee. I also realized later that I would sit and hold my breath a lot as I was working on things concentrating. Well, one day my heart just started jumping and fluttering all over the place. I thought I was having a heart attack or something. Nope, just too much caffein. I was OD'ing on the stuff. I've been drinking coffee since I was 6 years old. I LOVE the stuff. But I've become fairly sensitive to it as I get older. Nowadays I can only have about 1 shot a day in a cappacino, or maybe a second. But it will make my heart jump if I get too much (especially if I am also having allergies), it will also screw up my digestive system and give me diarrhea - make me go constantly. I've learned to drink my morning caps with a few scoops of fiber and voila - no more problems.  

But yeah, other than that I love caffein and coffee. It makes me so productive and positive, and excited about life. I'll run many miles when I drink enough of the stuff. That's one of the positive health benefits of caffein - it helps motivate you.

Cokes and sugar....nah - bad for you. That sugar is baaaaad. I can't tolerate a lot of carbs like that. Since I was a kid I stopped drinking sodas, and candy, etc. I just don't normally like them that much. I used to drink diet coke in college. It would help me ramp up for a quick cram and score highly. I used to come in to a sociology or business law type class and in a few hours cover everything in the book, and notes and make a high grade on a test with that being my only exposure to the material. After that though, it was kind of like the Star Trek episode of 'Spocks Brain' where Dr McCoy dons the Teacher and replaces Spocks Brain, but then the alien tech begins wearing off, and he forgets how to do it. I would start short circuiting and forgetting stuff. I hear Phenylalanine is believed to cause Altheimers. It gives me headaches regularly - so I believe it. I don't need Altheimers,...I love to BBQ and cook and eat beef ribs so I have Mad Cow BSE for that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:20 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

sweeten with a little NZ manuka honey. It is a natural antibiotic and very very good even used externally on wounds.
the cider vinegar and honey then becomes honeygar which is actually a commercial mixture here

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:27 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Vinegar is fermented,  It's "Acetic Acid", it has a very low Ph, only about 2-3 as I recall.  Certain bacterial and viral infections can't live in acidity, hence acorbic acid- (vitamin C) citrus, etc.. for Colds...  Now about lowering Ph for various other conditions, or raising Ph using a "base",  I don't know if this is topically done, it's an area of study ALWAYS changing thought, and I don't follow holistic healing closely.. Not sure if raising a WHOLE bodies Ph is generally done.. But I don't know of reasons a male would wish to raise their body Ph,  I think the body naturally excretes excess acid.. I can think that topically, some anti-acid remedies would be beneficial for stomach acid secretion, but as far as raising ones Ph, I don't recall much about the homeopathic concepts, or if a person would ever want to do this, and if-so what benefits that would have... Acidofulus, yogurt culture, friendly flora and that type of thing, body cultures and benefits, I don't know about.. I'd have to defer these areas to a female who's more in tune with other aspects of body Ph, digestive enzymes, intestinal flora, and high yeast production, because these aren't area's I remember about anymore, and typically I don't think males are as affected in these areas.. but even-so, how to neutralize conditions at various parts of the body depends on cause, not actual symptom...  My idea of naturopathic diet is to eat like a pig, get all bloated, and in turn watch my house plants turn nice and green

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:46 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Quote:
A friend of mine, 'Dangerman' - Geoff Mackley favorite saying was 'If you're not living on the edge. You're just taking up space'.

Geoff Mackley's favorite saying "WAS" ?????    :shock:

Jeff may be correct, but you tell Jeff Kappy say's... "Sue me for being selfish and wanting to take up space for about 100 years, as opposed to being generous and giving up my space after going over the edge prematurely"   LMAO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:46 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 50
Been Liked: 0 time
All I can say is....caffeine ain't no friend of mine. I liked it for many years and all I got out of it was overtired and cysts. I could do without both of those.

As for vinegar. When it comes to holistic medicine, vinegar is at the top of the list of best medicines. I had two peeps at work who tried to get my son to use it when he had a serious health condition last year. He lost 10 of his 60 pounds to vomiting after a severe bout of diahrea. He did his first vomiting after I forced him into Apple Cider Vinegar. I'm sure it has wonderful properties but it sure turned his stomach quick and made things worse. He miraculously got better after about a week of vomiting up everything we gave him. It was a close call for him I think. I don't believe my wife ever took it as a serious challenge to his life but I sure do.

We're hoping we never see another occurance because they never figured out what the problem was. I better leave this life LONG before either of my kids because I'm not sure I could take it quite frankly. :baby1:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:43 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

You have a good point Jeff,  I've found all these highly addictive substances that do something "for us" for a certain time-period (and we never know given our individual chemistry how long this time period will be), seem to eventually get habituated to by us, and then what happens, is that what at one point gave us that positive "kick", pulls a 180 on us and instead kicks us in the back leaving us with the negative affects and suddenly no more "boost", nicotine rush, dopamine high, etc.   I've gone thru this with most substances, and at some point I've had to either end ingesting them completely on my own, or when not possible visit the "resort"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:53 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Jeffieoke @ Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:46 am wrote:
All I can say is....caffeine ain't no friend of mine. I liked it for many years and all I got out of it was overtired and cysts. I could do without both of those.

As for vinegar. When it comes to holistic medicine, vinegar is at the top of the list of best medicines. I had two peeps at work who tried to get my son to use it when he had a serious health condition last year. He lost 10 of his 60 pounds to vomiting after a severe bout of diahrea. He did his first vomiting after I forced him into Apple Cider Vinegar. I'm sure it has wonderful properties but it sure turned his stomach quick and made things worse. He miraculously got better after about a week of vomiting up everything we gave him. It was a close call for him I think. I don't believe my wife ever took it as a serious challenge to his life but I sure do.

We're hoping we never see another occurance because they never figured out what the problem was. I better leave this life LONG before either of my kids because I'm not sure I could take it quite frankly. :baby1:

nothing is worse jeff than watching the anguish on a parents face as they stand at a grave and say to no-one in particular "this should have been him looking down on me"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:26 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

That is emotional pain of a magnitude I can't conceive   :(    I couldn't survive that !   Wouldn't want to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:26 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Duplicate post removed