KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Should a KJ Play My Copy of a cdg that I Own? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:43 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
lyquiddye @ Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:37 am wrote:
I played burned disc when I used a Karoke Player... like 6 years ago.  All honesty there are worse things going on in the world. If we focused 1/10 of the energy spend on mindless internet, music, and computer related issues......

World hunger would be solved, the war would have never started, gas would be $1 a gallon, every family would have 3 cars, welfare would not exist, unemployment would be somthing you get while getting you masters degree, captain crunch would be a real person, Micheal Jackson would leave little boys alone, Walt disney would be thawed out and drinking a beer with 2pac and Elvis, Adam Sandler and Jack Black would still be funny, Chevy Chase would do another vaction movie, Cable and satalite companies would wake up and realive the with the money spent on advertising tv should be free.

I run a computer based system I do not have the capability of playing someone's cd. I have 23,000 unique songs in my book I'm sure you can find something to sing.

Excellent points there!  LOL   I must admit, karaoke issues and serious, hard core reality aren't quite in the same league!  But go ahead and play the disc and battle it out in court if necessary.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
Odie @ Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:43 am wrote:
Excellent points there!  LOL   I must admit, karaoke issues and serious, hard core reality aren't quite in the same league!

Yeah, I always love it when KJs tell karaoke singers to get a life.

Quote:
But go ahead and play the disc and battle it out in court if necessary.

People are posting plenty of cases where people are being sued for ignoring BMI and ASCAP, and plenty of cases where they are being busted for selling illegal copies. I suppose the people who worry about being sued can run their lives worrying about being the first one sued for format-shifting, or the first one sued for playing a burned CDG disk. I personally think they would get a lot more bang for their buck if they looked a couple of extra times before crossing the street instead, but hey -- they can spend their time worrying about the things they want to worry about.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:01 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

I hardly ever go to a karaoke show without my own karaoke discs. Never yet meet anyone who won't play them; but I bring the originals.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:18 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Jian @ Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:01 am wrote:
I hardly ever go to a karaoke show without my own karaoke discs. Never yet meet anyone who won't play them; but I bring the originals.

I could bring the originals, I suppose, but it would take more than one 128-disk carrier to cover my wife and my repertoire. And it would be messy to try and get them all back in their proper places when done. I would have to probably carry a book, too, to find the disk number for every song. 8-)

If I ever ran into a KJ who wouldn't play my disks, and I for some bizaare reason had to go to precisely that show, I suppose I could toss the collection in the car. It only takes 4 128-disk binders, and I have a current book.

But as I said, I have met a hundred KJs and precisely zero refused to play a burned disk while saying they would play an original.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:41 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mckyj57 @ 24th February 2007, 10:18 pm wrote:
Jian @ Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:01 am wrote:

I could bring the originals, I suppose, but it would take more than one 128-disk carrier to cover my wife and my repertoire. And it would be messy to try and get them all back in their proper places when done. I would have to probably carry a book, too, to find the disk number for every song. 8-)

If I ever ran into a KJ who wouldn't play my disks, and I for some bizaare reason had to go to precisely that show, I suppose I could toss the collection in the car. It only takes 4 128-disk binders, and I have a current book.

But as I said, I have met a hundred KJs and precisely zero refused to play a burned disk while saying they would play an original.

At one time the boot of my car was where I parked my CDs; all 4 boxes of them. Now I just bring along those that I want to sing with. I have mabe 10 cds that are always in the car and bring along 'new' songs for verities.

I have never make any copies of my collection yet, but I am going to put them in HD soon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:52 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

The way some kj's scratch discs you'd have to be crazy to bring originals out. I make my own songs and have to burn them to disc. I've taken brand new discs I just burned before going out, and by the end of one night they're all scratched to hell.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:43 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
I don't play disc but I welcome people to bring up their usb flash drive. I'll gladly play anything one them. I have a number of 256meg drives I purchased for under $5 each. If someone wants to sing a version I do not have I suggest they copy their cd+g's to a usb drive.

Most of the kj's in my area are digital they all like the movement to usb drives for customer cd's. That way there is no need to carry a cd+g player for no reason.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:51 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

lyquiddye @ Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:43 am wrote:
I don't play disc but I welcome people to bring up their usb flash drive. I'll gladly play anything one them. I have a number of 256meg drives I purchased for under $5 each. If someone wants to sing a version I do not have I suggest they copy their cd+g's to a usb drive.

I do carry a jump drive with my songs on it. I need to make some modified versions with the key change, though. (I wish there was an easy command-line key-changer instead of all that pointy-clicky crapola, but I haven't found one.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:36 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Pretty sure you can get a virus from a usb drive.....correct me if I'm mistaken... :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:03 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I was gonna say, no I'll take your virus potential jump drive, but won't play the same illegal copy that I have on my hard drive!

sheesh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:02 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
Two or 3 times I hooked up a laptop to a Mackie 808 and we had full access to my KJ and DJ database. In all cases BTW the onboard audio was better than JVC players. For about $40 you can make a box wireless with a usb dongle. Then with wirelees and folder sharing the KJ would have full access to my libraries (if nessary from a locked  office)  Or 6 Kj'S could walk in and intranet with the KJ...

As I type I am on my system comp on a high band wireless. I could send you a karaoke zip file in seconds or stream audio to your system.. Whats a cd?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:30 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

I think I may have beaten the system. I've stored 100, 000 songs as bin files in my brain. I have installed a speakon connection in my rectum, and can generate up to 1000 watts(mono), depending on what I have eaten. I have two balanced mic inputs comming out my ears, and two more trs mic inputs, one in each nosrtil, and they all have phathom. I only have one slider though, and I can't tell you where that's located, but the key changer hangs directly below it. Unfortunately, I only have a two band equalizer, and they are twisters. I have also installed two S-video outputs, connecting them directly on both optic nerves. Is this a legal hookup?
Also, I no longer remember my name, but I find that trivial..... :) ......I love when I'm asked to crank it up..... LOL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:33 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

If you move that last entry.........you would literally be moving my bowels.... :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:39 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
Billy D @ Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:30 am wrote:
I think I may have beaten the system. I've stored 100, 000 songs as bin files in my brain. I have installed a speakon connection in my rectum, and can generate up to 1000 watts(mono), depending on what I have eaten. I have two balanced mic inputs comming out my ears, and two more trs mic inputs, one in each nosrtil, and they all have phathom. I only have one slider though, and I can't tell you where that's located, but the key changer hangs directly below it. Unfortunately, I only have a two band equalizer, and they are twisters. I have also installed two S-video outputs, connecting them directly on both optic nerves. Is this a legal hookup?
Also, I no longer remember my name, but I find that trivial..... :) ......I love when I'm asked to crank it up..... LOL

love the humour where can I purchase you?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:52 am 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Have songs, will travel.......fee....$0.00....free delivery........this is a special, only for you, Morgan.......be warned though.....if the anal connection is not completely tightened, it can result in a rather unpleasant fragrance, and the wattage will be reduced proportionately........let me see what dates I have open..... :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:18 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I'm usually bringin my own discs, some are burned for Travel purposes only.  And some are customed from UK sites.  Mostly because I like to do a song that isnt in the book, and it puts fresh blood instead of what's in the KJs books.
 But if they do not accept my disc, I can make do with singing Neil Diamond for the umpteenth time, or sing a George Strait song.   And even sometimes, a KJ asked that if I would like, he can burn my disc into his harddrive so "I don't need to bring the disc back and it would save me the trouble of carrying it"  to which I replied "Can I get a cut from the songs I gave you?  I'm just a hobbyist not making profit."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:22 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
Billy D @ Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:52 am wrote:
Have songs, will travel.......fee....$0.00....free delivery........this is a special, only for you, Morgan.......be warned though.....if the anal connection is not completely tightened, it can result in a rather unpleasant fragrance, and the wattage will be reduced proportionately........let me see what dates I have open..... :)

I am sure I am capable of the correct tweaking  LMAO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:38 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Re Invention @ Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:59 am wrote:
exweedfarmer @ Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:28 pm wrote:
I think if you're bringing your own disks to a karaoke show, you're taking the whole thing much too seriously.

Why?  I enjoy karaoke, I tend to like to do songs that most KJ's aren't likely to have in their collection.   Most places don't even have even one Kate Bush song in their library, let alone the 9 I have.  

Discs are cheap, 20 bucks is a cheap investment in entertainment, especially when you get repeated uses out of it.  I get lots of compliments on the unusual song selections that I do.  

I also let my friends use the discs so it increases the likelihood that I'm going to hear more music I like and less "Black Velvet" and cliched crap like that.

I agree with Re Invention.  When I used to go out and karaoke it up all of the time, the venue I'd attend had decent equipment, but rarely updated their songs.  If I wanted to sing something newer, I'd occasionally buy a CDG and take it with me.  I have a decent sized CD case and always bring it with me now.  I even have had other folks at the bar ask to do some songs off my discs (which I didn't care, I just had to make sure I got them back).  Good times.   8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:43 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

MorganLeFey @ Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:22 pm wrote:
Billy D @ Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:52 am wrote:

I am sure I am capable of the correct tweaking  LMAO

LMAO (singing) I wanna be tweaked by you, by you, and nobody else but you....I wanna be tweaked by you....a lo oh oh own.....poo, poop-ti-do... LMAO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:03 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
MC Krusty @ Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:38 pm wrote:
I agree with Re Invention.  When I used to go out and karaoke it up all of the time, the venue I'd attend had decent equipment, but rarely updated their songs.  If I wanted to sing something newer, I'd occasionally buy a CDG and take it with me.  I have a decent sized CD case and always bring it with me now.  I even have had other folks at the bar ask to do some songs off my discs (which I didn't care, I just had to make sure I got them back).  Good times.   8)

Well, that that is a CRAPPY KJ.   I add new songs about once a month, deping on what I have ordered.  

Oh yeah, another reason I don't like playing customers CDs....Had one guy (@$%&#!) up and down that I scratched his disc when it skipped when it was playing.  It went from his hand to mine and directly to my CDG players tray.  He whined and complained, and just to shut him up I bought him a new one.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile