KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - SC and Stellars Tactics are soooo wrong Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:42 am 
Per a post made by the administrator at another karaoke forum, he received a letter from SC that provided the contents of the letter that SC had sent to venues in Phoenix!

Basically, per that post, SC sent letters to a few venues letting those venues know that they (SC) believed those venues were breaking the law.  The letter quoted copyright law; described what the venue could look for to make sure they were in observance of the law; quoted the penalities for running afoul of the law; and never made a single threat.

So, as I had come to believe, no "cease and desist" letters were actually sent.  I believe if SC thought they could win in court (come out ahead financially) in a suit related to format shifting they would have started a suit by now rather than send out that letter.

But their overall strategy worked.  Folks are wondering what to do with their hard drive shows.  They caused KJ's to argue with one another over the law, and what SC had a right to do vs maybe what they should have done.  KJ's have retired or are planning to leave the business.

The fact is, truly, that nothing has legally changed since the time before the SC PRESS RELEASE (and that's all it was) showed up on the website of KaraokeStar.com.

There is now a RUMOR, AND IT'S ONLY A RUMOR, that I heard last Thursday from a local KJ who doesn't participate in any forums that an entity or group of entities is pusuing the question if there are any legal ground for suing SC and Stellar over this incident?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:06 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Well here is the letter that supposedly went out.  Again, only on this ONE retailers site - same with the actual press releases.  And other than one forum member that happens to have the same name as the area these were sent to, no one else has stepped up to say they have even saw the letter.

http://karaokestar.com/sounchoiccea.html

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:03 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
ok What Now @ Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:00 pm wrote:
truth is the contest i just entered was downloading their songs off the net....when i asked him what site he said oh just a site i know of....so who knows...

Had a similar one here in Iowa.  The Casio/race track hosts a very large karaoke contest each year.  You win $250 to qualify, and....
1st Place - $5,000
2nd Place - $2,500
3rd Place - $1,000
4th Place - $500
5th-8th Place - $100
So a prety BIG contest.

Last year a friend of mine entered, and we went to support her.  After the event I went to the host to talk shop, he used a laptop.  Told him I was a KJ and we started chewing the fat.  Whell, it came down to he asked if I wanted to swap songs with him, casue he has a great source for downloading karaoke tracks (IRC I assumed).  Told him flat out NO, and that you aare a scum sucking bottom fedeer.  I then told the officials from the casion/race track, and they did nothing, at that time. This year they have a new KJ host, that actualy usues his ORIGINAL discs, although a lot of them are scratched, and skip.

It just amazes me at the gall of some people.  That guy dind't know me from Adam, heck I could have been an represanitive of a karaoke CD manu.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 15 times
Well blessings be if the SC threat was all smoke and mirrors but, I still think we have a problem with the scum sucking bottom feeding pirates.  I can't compete on a song for song basis with someone who has a 100,000 song library and paid for none of it.   Perhaps we need to turn our attention to what can be legally done to get rid of these *7#*&^$#s and all who sail with them.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:27 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
I think that's what SC is already doing!  IMO, the best action for all you KJs to take in order to protect your investments and business is to report the pirates to the appropriate authorities.  As has already been pointed out many times, the pirates cause you to lose business and greatly reduce your potential income by not having the same overheads as you and therefore being able to undercut your fees.  So, they are not only stealing from the artists and manufacturers, but also from YOU!  

It's sort of like the auto-parts supplier being run out of business 'cause he can't compete with the business down the road that sources all their parts from stolen cars!

Maybe you should be embracing the action the SC is taking as it may save your businesses!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:43 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Uh oh.  Here it comes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:53 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

WHAT authorities??

People have tried for YEARS to report illegal shows.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:35 am 
Murrlyn

The main thrust of my previous post is that SC is actually doing nothing!  So what would you like anyone to do in support of them?

Following up on what Knightshow posted, you should also review the complete post of what follows.  The actual post is in another thread.  I edited what's below.  

Posted: BY STARZKAROAKE Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:42 am  
Re: RIAA, KAPA, BMI Etc..  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Hey guys,

I have over the years personally reported 5 different hosts who I know were using illegal copies with NO originals.  

SPIN, KAPA, Sound choice DID NOTHING!

I have given them name, physical address, e-mails on several individuals selling hard drives.  I offered them the hard drive as evidence.   It contains 105,000 karaoke songs and the ENTIRE Sound Choice catalog.  

THEY DID NOTHING!

I have sent them user name and info for karaokeinfo.com and pleaded for them to bust them…. NOTHING!

We have been doing karaoke for over 12 years and we have over 100,000 in receipts for originals.  I subscribed to Power Picks for 4 years and purchased 3 of every disk.   We have over $35,000 in just Sound Choice receipts.  We are a computerized Karaoke company, but we DO have one for one versions of all disks, but we do not keep them at shows... (that kind of kills the whole benefit).

I have posted where I am running all of my Karaoke shows on Sound Choice's forums and told them to come and get me so we can go see the judge.  They deleted my post and you guessed it... THEY DID NOTHING!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:08 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hmmm, it seems to me that the very reason this thread started in the first place was because SC IS doing something!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:18 pm 
Major Poster
Major Poster

Logic would tell me, Sound Choice is no Sony. They have limited money and resource to do anything, and are probably having a hard time staying in business. Kjing doesn't pay very well, and you can't compete with a $400 pirate hard drive with over 100,000 songs. I doubt SC can police this, but limiting KJing to using only original disks would be the only solution they could enforce with some success. Even if you only make one copy(no matter the format), it doesn't matter to them....to stop pirates, they must stop everyone from making copies. It takes too many resources to seperate the 1 for 1 people from the, as many as you can get away with, for one people...........sad and unfortunate....... :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:01 pm 
Murrlyn

I started this thread and IMMEDIATLEY indicated that I thought there was no evidence to support the thinking that SC and Stellar were really doing anything.  And while they actually have done nothing, they used a press release (a meaningless piece of paper) to make it appear that they were prepared to seriously confront pirating and other issues.   That press release appeared only on one retailer's website, but news of it spread quickly.  As a result, it caused a furor on this forum and other forums.  MEANWHILE, nothing was actually happening. And while some believed that Phoenix venues were sent A CEASE AND DESIST LETTERs, no such letters were sent to anyone!!!

So, my initial belief that those two manufacturers had not actually taken any legal steps and my suspicion that they don't appear really desirous of doing so have proven to be correct (for the time being).

I believe that if those two manus really understand how to eliminate some of the pirating problems they would have approached forums like this one for help rather than have taken steps that have alienated so many.  Regardless of the worthiness of their position, I don't like being deceived and/or used.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:18 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Murrlyn @ Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:08 pm wrote:
Hmmm, it seems to me that the very reason this thread started in the first place was because SC IS doing something!
Yeah... they're alienating EVERYONE that uses a computer for commercial shows... threatening them and the venues that want or have karaoke... and reminding them they way they did WAS a threat.

Yeah they're doing something. But as the title to the entire topic states, their TACTICS are what's being debated.

I personally left the kj world because of this action.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:50 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thought everyone would find this interesting.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2006/ ... eral_court

Kelly :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:29 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
Kellyoke @ Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:50 am wrote:
Thought everyone would find this interesting.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2006/ ... eral_court

Kelly :shock:

Yeah, shocking (NOT), but the article is 1 yerar old.

Famous music also sude ChartBuster and Sound Choice
http://dockets.justia.com/search?query= ... urt-tnmdce

Anyone know a lawyer or someone with access to ECF/PACER so we can see what is happing with these lawsuits?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:40 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Sorry that it's old news to you.  First I had seen it. I just find it interesting that those of us who play karaoke "digitally" yet legally paid for and OWN the original discs, are being found fault with by companies who possibly don't even legally have the rights to sell us the music in the first place.

Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:41 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

If you got into trouble for illegal copying of a song that the disc manufacturer didn't have a right to use in the first place, you might be able to use that as a defense (not knowing much about this sort of litigation, I stress the word *might*), but it would only work for that particular song.  I would imagine that if you get that deep into it, you've probably got enough illegal material that even taking a few songs out of the equation won't do you much good.

But yeah, the manufacturers have to worry about copyright as much as anybody.  Unlike the average KJ, the manufacturers are easier to find, it's easier to prove infringement since their catalogs are publicly available, and they've got enough money that it could be worthwhile to sue them.  From what I understand Music Maestro basically went out of business because they violated a bunch of copyrights.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:18 pm 
I copied and posted the whole news article (regarding Music Maestro, Chuck Berry, etal) in the "Chuck Berry" thread a couple of weeks ago.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:47 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Not sure if this has already been posted by someone else.

http://ipjustice.org/wp/2007/02/22/karaoke_legal_myths/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:04 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
Liberals for the last 50 years have slaughtered the constitution (which by the way I took an oath to defend and all the politicos have taken the same oath and systematically have destroyed.
the middle class and constitution).  It has been amended to a district court

Now one document which has been conveniently pushed under the rug is the original BILL OF RIGHTS link

Read # 5  Walk into my bar and bust me for a federal offense.. I will hang you son..

You dont think it still applies ? Bust me. lets give it a go...Lets see how digital karaoke and hard drives stand up in court.. It is neither legal or illegal until it has been tested in a district court (copyright) You can sit here and type until the cows come home It is an unknown factor ...A business cannot operate on rumors but proven laws proven by legal advice and hard facts..

And if you have visions about them quitting pointing fingers at each other and catching up with technology think again We have identity theft and other problems concerning the internet that the current congress wont or cant address So just makes you think they will address our situation? Until they do the copyright laws in our case are in limbo...PERIOD And dont let anybody try to tell you different...
I STAND I am tired of anybody accusing me of being illegal or pointing fingers at me with unfounded rumors If you  want to take me on?  Better hire a lawyer and pack a lunch... We are going to court.

Is there anybody here that stands up for workers and constitutional rights? Or do you want to engage in immature debates founded upon rumors and support illegal activity from the manus on down..Develop some B***s and lets tell them what we want.. You can either persue that course or let them destroy that which we love. They dont give a damn about you... I have a revelation for you In this land of haves and have-nots.. You are a have-not...

We have some big prob;ems in this country right now copyright laws is not one of them...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:41 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Tell it to the RIAA, karaoker! L O L !!

I hapen to agree with you, and likewise, I too served my country. But that doesn't mean anything to this discussion.

We can tout the whole unproven thing in court, but those are some hefty fines, and I'd just as soon not challenge it since SC and Stellar have decided to be dicks about the whole thing.

They want to concentrate on the home market, anyway. Which is ironic in that with a market share as dwindling as they claim, yet they come out against computer folks in a commercial venue...

hmmmmmmmmm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next