KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - A new look at format shifting, and copyright violations. Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
So any kind of copying to a hard drive or other format is illegal...by the letter of the law.  So EVERYONE in the Singers Showcase is technically breaking the law by recording their performance (copyright infringement), putting into a file on the computer (format shifting) & ONCE they post it on a public accessible website such as that (unauthorized public performance...does KS have to pay ASCAP/BMI fees for such performances?).  
I've already heard through other sites the RIAA is going after karaoke performances that have been posted on the web.  Now these seem to be the video performances at this time, but obviously they feel that people aren't allowed to record their fun & post it...so I am willing to bet they are going to start going after plain songs recorded & posted as well!  Here's the link.
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/RIAA-going ... rmers.html

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

That's amazing....show me where there is a financial loss to anyone when someone posts a video on youtube singing their song. If anything it enhances the chance that the song will be purchased by someone who likes it after they hear it.

I don't know how many times I have been out singing karaoke and heard a song that #1 I wanted to buy for my karaoke library, but I also bought an audio version for my DJ music. I'm sorry but in my book that is a net gain.

What's next.....RIAA busting you for singing a George Strait song in the shower LMAO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:57 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Flipper @ Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:54 pm wrote:
That's amazing....show me where there is a financial loss to anyone when someone posts a video on youtube singing their song.

I guess the same arguement could be show me an actual financial loss to the manus for someone buying their discs & transferring them to computer to play while the original stays at home? :dontknow:

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

That's exactly how I feel :yes:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:31 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
I am not a lawyer but if they are trying to apply antiquated copyright laws to to new technologies then they better pass new legislation to make it illegal.. The music industry spends more than anybody else on lobbying congress to no avail You show me where in any legislation where it is illegal to change format with a karaoke cd... Or they would be hanging people ... And it would take a federal agency to to prosecute ....With all the problems we have with home land security and drugs etc forget it people...There is no such thing as karaoke police...

All my life I have defended the underdog and the poor slob trying to make a living with all the liberals trying to tell him what to do...Bear in mind I know what it is to buy a bottle of whiskey from a bootlegger..
\

We have problems promoting karaoke and trying to revamp it ,,,

Instead of getting off on these legality tangents give some viable suggestions Typical liberal BS.. Blame and judge somebody else ....And want Uncle Sam to come to the rescue. Fix your business I'll fix mine... And I dont need a federal agency to fix it...I am so tired of the BS on this forum I could scream...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:50 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Some of the manufacturers have statements printed on thediscs theselves to the effect:

"Not for public performance" or "Unauthorized duplication prohibited".  

Some brands have these types of warnings some do not. The Pioneer Lasers DO NOT. Many but not all CDG's DO have warnings on them.

So what is "Public Performance"?   To me that says Karaoke Bar.

What is "Private purposes". I take that to mean home use or a "Private By-Invitation-only or membership" event.

So this would imply that discs so lablled would be illegal for other than home use.

As to duplication it would seem to me that to make a copy for home use would be legal. Duplication for laptop, or burn use in bars or business would not be.

So check ALL your different brands of discs to see which do and dont have warnings on them I have VERY little SC, but quite a bit of other brands and again some do some dont have warnings.

As to mfr's------either they have liscneses for each song or they do not. Simple and clear. If they are reproducing unliscensed product then they have liability.

Do I see the majors coming after the kareoke DJ.......not really. Mutlireiggers and multiburners absolutely. Single copy on laptop--probly wouldnt be worth the money--but they may want to make exmples of a some------just look what happend with Kazaa and Bear and Napster and Limewire. Went after grandma's and kids.
Would they come after the 50$ a night "Hack"  karoke bar employee Dj?? I doubt it. Come after the bars? Maybe. Come after established karaoke DJ/KJ businesses?? Possibly.

The next question that comes in to mind with all this is all the background music that may be played. Would that all be covered in all this too? Its all format shifted on lappys or played as burned discs for commercial purposes. Perhaps that is covered under the bars paying ASCAP/BMI fees.

Anyway this all needs to be cleared up and defined with a set of rules.

LOT AND LOTS of $$$$, jobs and careers involved with all this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:32 pm 
If you have permission and have paid to use it, you can sing it anywhere you want.  Without it you can not.   Home only.     Not publically or for profit.

If I sing at home, nobody hears me.   If I sing in public everybody can.

If a tree fall in the forest and nobody is around, did it make a sound?

If it did and it sounded like George Strait, somebody's paying. LMAO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:34 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
I was going to go to karaoke venues with a camcorder and video performances.
I was hoping people may want to buy them so I would burn them to disc.
Lucky I checked. Crash and Burn. Ow...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:06 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Video---

Would probly put you into the same category of going to a concert and making and selling a bootleg video of the concert.

Shouldnt be a problem if say grilfriend make a video of her boyfriend singing karoaek for thier own personal home use. Lots of people do that with thier cell phones.

But if you try to sell it or publish it say on my space then you would have a copyright/licensing issue. Myspace has now got some lawsuits pending for just such cases.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:07 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I for one am not going to quit using a computer just because Sound Choice wants to press a point. I own 2200 sound choice Disks, and there is nothing written on them about format shifting.  I can play them in anything I want to. I find it amazing that they are not Embracing New Technology (well years old now).

The way I see it if The Place I play at Pays Ascap, and Bmi, Then The artist, writer and the rights society have been paid, and no one is loosing anything. Sound Choice does have the best or somewhat best music, But the quality of the Media.... (disk, and Label) have a lot to be desired. I have 2 year old sound choice disks that are still in the manuf folders, and have not been played that have holes in the foil label, therefore would play like crap. They want people constantly using their originals, so they wear out, and have to be replaced.

Shame on Sound choice for Backstabbing the people who support them......

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:30 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

EElvis @ Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:07 pm wrote:
I for one am not going to quit using a computer just because Sound Choice wants to press a point. I own 2200 sound choice Disks, and there is nothing written on them about format shifting.  I can play them in anything I want to. I find it amazing that they are not Embracing New Technology (well years old now).

No they don't say anything about "format shifting" which is a term that was pretty much coined in the forums by people who believe as you.  But they do say no "unauthorized" duplication.  That's the law, plain & simple.  Don't agree with it & yes i've been running a computer for a while now as well, but I don't feel it's legal to do so...because it's not...TECHNICALLY byt the letter of the law.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:16 pm 
Every law/law suit is subject to interpretation.   You are innocent until proven guilty.    Then it will be up to a judge and hopefully a jury to make the final decision.
If you look innocent, stupid and pityful, you may get off. :O  LMAO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:49 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Does innocent until proven guilty actually mean anythig.
I always thaught it depends on how good your lawyer is.
Didnt think wether you commited a crime or not was actually relevent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Bigdog @ Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:16 pm wrote:
You are innocent until proven guilty.    

Yeah tell that to him
http://www.truthinjustice.org/douglas-warney.htm

And all the others that fall into this catagory.  Wrong place at the wrong time sort of deal & resemble a description...hmmm, must be the guy, lock him up!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:08 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
Of course I gots this real neat photocopier.  It copies in beautiful colours and I gots some papers and I's started to copy money.  Afterall I's gots the technologies and I ain't hurtin' no one cause there's lots of that stuff out there.  And it's my own use and I can dos whats I wants cause them there laws don't apply to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:19 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quote:
And it's my own use and I can dos whats I wants cause them there laws don't apply to me.

as long as you keep it at home no problem..... But when you pass it to someone else..... big problem.

But then again, you are trying to pass judgement on americans with knowlege of canadian law....... and rules. Think again.

I don't know your laws, and you are ignorant to american laws.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:26 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Love you yanks.
You do have a sense of humour after all.
See after John Lenon said he was more popular than God, you burnt his records.
We couldnt understand it in the UK. No-one here took him serious.
He was a scouser like me.
You seriously dont take a scouser seriously.
They cant help but make light of a situation
or say something that is so ludicrous that no-one would believe.
Well in the YUK anyway.
I'm going to get in the sh!t now for calling the UK the YUK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:48 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
Really.  You mean I can't get access to American copyright laws.  Darn and to think this internet thing was suppose to be the best thing since sliced bread.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:15 pm 
I am going to shift my discs to a hard drive.   My defense will be that, after my initial investment for discs that are deteriorating as we speak, I felt the need to preserve my investment.   Once these discs are out of production, they are irreplaceable. (Once in a Lifetime)   What would you do if your $40,000+ investment was disappearing before your eyes?????   :whistle:     Would you let it whither away or would you try to preserve it.    Did anyone try to save the original copies of our Constitution????    Why??? :O  :shock:  :worship:   Anyone ever save a Dinasour bone?    They'll be back... :whistle:  

Case dismissed. :hug:  :yes:

Oh...Bigdog......You've done it again.  :O  :yes:  :dancin: :worship:  :worship:  :worship:  :O

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 15 times
No no no no no BD.  CDs don't wear out.  Nothing touches them in the process of playing and with ordainary care they should last forever.  That being the case, what harm could your player cacheing the information do?  The computer is just how you play you CDs.  That is what we must all learn to say to the blue meanies.  It's not copying, it's not format shifting, it's playing.  The computer is your Player, that's all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next