KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Legal problems for hard drive users? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:14 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
As far as I'm concerned if I buy a disk and I want to run it off my cdg player off my hard drive or off my car cd player then no one will tell I can't. I've paid for it I'll listen or play it in any format that I want to. So they can all kiss my hairy ***. They don't turn away my money when I buy a disk asking me how I'm going listen or play it. So I guess the next step is if you  want to buy the new metallica cd you'll have to buy 1 copy for the house and a seperate copy for the car and 1 extra copy to rip to your mp3 player. It's all a bunch of **** if you ask me. Go after the downloading multiriggers and leave you real customers alone or we might have to Boycott Sound Choice and Top Hits or any other companies that want to bite the hands that feed them.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:34 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

mckyj57 - I did not say it would....

What I said is that I'm picking up on some strange vibes that indicate that they may be heading that direction. As to wether it will work or not is another story. LOL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:54 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
Robdog, it's for commercial use only, not personal.  Format changing for personal use is ok as stated in the Copyright Act.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:08 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

I for one have pulled each and every PHM and SC disk from my collection. I will only support those companies that support the Computerized based shows by selling their products in MP3+G format. For informational purposes this includes Panorama (formerly THM), CAVS, Chartbuster, Zoom.
Any other companies you know of which are distributing in MP3+G format please let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:14 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I don't get it ...... SC has a digital format product coming out, you can now sing SC on Comcast, and they are allowing folks to download to Ipods.....is this not format shifting?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:41 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
Flipper @ Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:14 pm wrote:
I don't get it ...... SC has a digital format product coming out, you can now sing SC on Comcast, and they are allowing folks to download to Ipods.....is this not format shifting?

Yes, it is format shifting, but for PERSONAL use, not for COMERCIAL use (ie: DJing/Kjing)

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:09 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 15 times
I was just having a romp through USC 17 again and I had a thought.  The whole idea of format shifting is stupid because the CD player shifts format five times to get sound out of the flipping thing.  It might be argued that hard drive storage is not format shifting but caching and all players cache.  However, the difference being that the same licensed information exists in two places at once, once on the hard drive and once on the CD.  If you cut the original CD in half, the problem is not relieved but the damages are.  A drastic step certainly, but it would seem to take care of any reasonable objection on the legal side of things.

I don't know if this is all going to blow over or not but I'll tell you, I'm going to write two versions of my new KJ software, one with and one without a player.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:54 am 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

It will blow over just like KAPA did. SC found out before how expensive it is to take each KJ to court and in most cases lose or have to make a deal like a local KJ who signed a agreement with them to not use copies at shows anymore. That was the extent of their big win with him.
I wish they would come after the multi riggers who run 4 or 6 systems and only buy one copy of anything.
But personally I've stopped buying PHM and SC disks until they decide what they are doing. [glow=red]Iwill on the other hand support Chartbuster, Panorama (formerly THM), Zoom, and CAVS since they all provide their music in MP3+G format for my use.[/glow]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:38 am 
I find a big loop hole in Sound Choice's legal proceedings.   They sell downloadable songs right from their very own web site.    RIGHT!!!! :yes:

So If I pay to download one of their songs....Where is it going to download to?????    Isn't it going to be on a HARD DRIVE?????    Isn't that what they are going after?    Computer users.   So if they are allowing me to download a paid for song from their very own site, what the H**L are they talking about????   Is it me or what?????   :O  

How can they allow me to download a song and then come after me for putting it on a HARD DRIVE???    What kind of a hack legal team/CEO/President do they have... LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO

Curly, Larry & Moe....Dewy, Cheatem & Howe LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO  LMAO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:22 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Maybe the same legal team that represented Arthur Anderson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:59 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
those mp3s you can download from SC are licensed for that. They only have 500 titles available, out of 10,000... not very good odds if you want to run a show.

Also, they're only in the format for Ipods...

SC also sells a proprietary player and you can download their tracks that they've authorized to that... but who the heck wants to have a SC specific player, and another for everybody else's stuff?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:20 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Matt, you've said that Portland was saturated with karaoke. When did this occur? I'll bet dollars to donuts it started when discs could be copied and increased when hard drives became available.

Why are hosts getting crap money? Once again, easy free or next to free copies and hard drives giving undercutters the means to get into the marketplace. They couldn't do it if they had to pay for discs. Am I wrong?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:14 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It was saturated before Hard Drives :yes: PC karaoke did not really start catching on here until the last couple of years.

By the way Knightshow does not live in Portland anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:33 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Its been WAY saturated here for quite a number of years. And the hard drives did not really start showing up until only 3-4 years ago. Relativley fewer number of venues than u might expect and lots and lots of DJ's and wannabes. Not the hard drive users that caused the over-saturation, but multi-riggers have had big undercutting impact. More a problem related to people exlusively using bogus burned discs than laptop/harddrives. Burned sets are cheap. Lappies and HD's cost big $$. Thats why the proliferation of bogus burns. The hard drive/lappy people are usually legitamate KJ/DJ's here--they have to be--they have to get a hefty return on thier investments. The burners dont---they are the ones with CHEAP investment and therefore can undercut.

We've also had a problem with a particular KJ killing the biz by seling bogus/unliscensed cavs systems to bar owners who then drop the "EXPENSIVE" independent KJ and hire the 50$ a night stiffs/hacks who are litte more than waitresses/bartenders pressed into KJ service(seen this at MANY places)----(This happened at one of the places I did fill-in gigs at). These people dont want to do it, they hate it, they dont care about what they are made to do and often just flat out hate karaeoke(they make WAY MORE money waitressing and bartending). Hence a proliferation of lost gig opportunities and TERRIBLE TERRIBLE quality karaoke.

IM TALKING ABOUT HACKS THAT NOT EVEN BIG DOG COULD IMAGINE!!  

It's even bleaker than Flipper decribes or most people imagine in terms of the overall MARKET here in PDX.

There's only a VERY few places I would actualy go to spend a karaoke evening. Whereas if it werent like this Id be hangng out ALL OVER THE PLACE!!

Now if you dont have a HD with 40000 duplicates of maybe 1500 actual songs with a cavs or laptop system, you WONT get hired as an independent to do bar shows. (Private shows are diffrenent in that regard) . Youll be reduced to being a 50$ hack at a bar with its own cavs system--because this is what barowners have now been conditioned to. Plus you better bring a substantial following with you or you wont be around very long. KJ's here are treated as all the same and a dime a dozen.

Sorry for the bleak picture but thats what we LIVE with here in Portland. Hopefully its a better situation elsewere.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:43 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Like I said started with burns and continues with illegal HDs being sold.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:25 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
Hi guys, dont know if your bars are run any way like the pubs are in the UK.
Here most of the pubs are owned by big corporates. They charge high rents
and you are tied to buying all liquids from them (or a heavy fine).
This means the landlords (bar owners) have very little money to pay a KJ.
Pro KJ's are getting replaced by cheap immitations.
The pub owners are actually killing off their own trade.

Here all DJ's can get a PPL licence which allows them to put their tracks onto hard drive. They will not allow that for karaoke tracks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:05 pm 
In my country the KJs are turning into DJs.... so soon it will not be a problem... :O  LMAO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:07 pm 

I believe a wav+g file, while being huge, would not be format shifting. With hardrive prices and capacities being what they are it seems feesible.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:18 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
think again!

it IS format shifting... otherwise you could copy them to cdrs and nobody would care.

even so, I have 12,000 cd+g tracks. Figure on a rough estimate that like the SC Spotlights, you get 15 tracks per 700 MB of space.

For me, that's 560,000 mb of space. Now I could put them on two hard drives... but sheesh!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:00 am 

A cdr can be distributed (aka Ebay) and and external 1TB drive is about 750U.S. A wav. file is an EXACT (no data or quality loss such as mp3) duplicate, so there is no shifting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next