KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Legal problems for hard drive users? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:51 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
It will be interesting to say the least since all the manufacturers of the karaoke programs - even CAVS at one time (not sure what they have stated lately) all target pro shows with statements resembling stuff to the effect of "Never bring those heavy discs to a show again, have everything on your hard drive".  WIth these types of statements being made by the companies making the software, I find it hard to believe that the law would take a kj down that legally purchased all of their discs & transferred them to a computer.  This isn't even necessarily an ignorance of the law type of deal, the makers of these programs are promoting them as perfectly ok for pro use.  SO if a kj got nailed for using a computer from their legally purchased library, then that kj would need to sue the company that designed & sold the program with the promise that it is ok to use.  I am going to be using MTU Hoster & their legalities page alone should help a case of a kj that is getting sued by using one of these systems.

http://www.mtu.com/support/copyright-notes.htm
I know it's still all legal specualtion, but they are stating that it is in fact legal to backup your discs that you legally own for pro show use.  I have a printed copy of all the KJ program manufacturers that have statements/similar statements or downright say nothing to the contrary that a 'pro' show can in fact use these program - at least that would be the heart of the defense.  I own my discs, the discs are still on premises of the computer, I bought the program with these written understandings of the legality issues.  
If I got busted, I would sue the program makers at that point for telling everyone it's ok to do!!!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:02 pm 
LET'S BE PROACTIVE!!!

All of us have SC and Stellar Products.  In recent threads many of us acknowledge there are good tracks around from other manufacturers.  

Instead of theorizing about what we might do legally in response to legal action from either or both of the pre-named entities, why don't we approach the other manufacturers and see what their position is in this regard?  Maybe they're taking a wait and see approach?  Maybe, like Chartbuster, they support computer rigs?

Then we should consider, as forum, voting on the following position vis a vis those who interfere in non-pirated, format shifting:
     We will avoid, where possible, the playing of their products at our shows.
     We will no longer purchase their products.
     We will tell the karaoke enjoying public what those companies have done
     to the costs and smooth operations of the karaoke shows that the public enjoys.

We have the numbers and financial strength to do this if we want!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:06 pm 

Been Liked: 1 time
So what's the consensus?  Nothing to worry about or should I start looking into switching my whole system to CDG's?  

What if we banded together a large group of KJ's and software manufacturers (Hoster and CompuHost for starters) and mounted our own legal battle.  Thoughts?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:08 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
THey are just threatning and (IMHO)will not go after KJs that actuall do shows on hard drive bassed systems that only have done a 1:1 copy ratio.

1. Easier to go after that multi riggers that are running 2 or more systems on 1 cd

2. They have to SUE for a loss.  What is the loss if a legit KJ has ripped his/her disc to 1 pc?

It's all about the $$$$$, and there is NO loss of $$$$ if it is 1:1 ratio.  THey could claim a loss, saying "wear and tear" on disc would require a KJ to replace a discs, but when, would that loss occur?  I have some CDs that are about 20 years old, and still work fine to this day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:09 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

ericlater @ Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:02 pm wrote:
LET'S BE PROACTIVE!!!

All of us have SC and Stellar Products.  In recent threads many of us acknowledge there are good tracks around from other manufacturers.  

Instead of theorizing about what we might do legally in response to legal action from either or both of the pre-named entities, why don't we approach the other manufacturers and see what their position is in this regard?  Maybe they're taking a wait and see approach?  Maybe, like Chartbuster, they support computer rigs?

Then we should consider, as forum, voting on the following position vis a vis those who interfere in non-pirated, format shifting:

Actually SC & PHM has stated they don't like computer users.  Chartbuster has been seen on CAVS units, not sure if they are/were authorized downloads.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:32 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
That's it let's not buy their products, which they have invested so much time and money in to have the best quality, just because they are trying to stop piracy.  People say they will only copy 1:1, but now it's more than that you have to back up your hard drive and back up the back up.  Where does it stop.  Oh wait another club wants to double book you so you get a friend to do it for you with a back up drive.  People say they don't do it but how many stories have we heard on this, how many stories have we heard of hard drives being sold on E-Bay.  Just because someone is saying they aren't doing this doesn't mean they are.  We have stolen laptops and computers.  Now does everyone get it yet or do we have to get the sledgehammer out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Strange...... I was just over on the soundchoice website, and reading a thread over there, they are going to be coming up with a computerized player themselves, by their own admission.

I think this is a retailer trying to bull..t people into buying their stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:03 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

spendlove1 @ Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:06 pm wrote:
So what's the consensus?  Nothing to worry about or should I start looking into switching my whole system to CDG's?  

If your system consists of a hard drive you bought off of ebay or you have no original discs to match to what's on your system, then yes I would worry & start switching over to disc or very minimum, purchase the coinciding discs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 15 times
Well, Sound Choice... Ahm...  Bye!

They can keep their disks as far as I'm concerned.  I always thought they were overpriced anyway.  With the ever increasing number of legally downloadable karaoke songs, we need them why exactly?

Have you ever noticed how much dead air there is on the front and back of a karaoke song.  All those little lights flashing on the screen that no one really needs to see.  Maybe there's some way to cut all that stuff out,  Hmmmm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:24 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
ericlater @ Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:02 pm wrote:
LET'S BE PROACTIVE!!!

I am for avoiding those who are against providing digital versions of their libraries and have ceased purchasing from SC and Pop HIts Monthly as well as others. I have found a decent replacement for SC in Zoom as to quality made tracks.  I also now purchase Top Hits as they are also available in MP3+G format. The only thing I have to do to make these tracks work for me is to rename them so it adds a disc and track id to the name. But I am no longer format shifting as they are already in digital format.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:46 am 
You can down load from the Sound Choice site.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:39 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Bigdog @ Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:46 am wrote:
You can down load from the Sound Choice site.

They only have around 1100 or so songs available out of their 10K + library.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:33 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

funny this is about stellar records, and they have a big lawsuit against them. http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2006/ ... eral_court

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:36 am 

Karama's a (@$%&#!)!  HAHA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:04 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
Quote:
ave you ever noticed how much dead air there is on the front and back of a karaoke song.  All those little lights flashing on the screen that no one really needs to see.  Maybe there's some way to cut all that stuff out,  Hmmmm.

Afew yeas ago when we were using S&D and having to fade to another winamp we had a gap-less cross fader that done just that at the begiing and end... I dont remember but might have been SQRSoft..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:15 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

exweedfarmer @ Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:21 pm wrote:
Have you ever noticed how much dead air there is on the front and back of a karaoke song.  All those little lights flashing on the screen that no one really needs to see.  Maybe there's some way to cut all that stuff out,  Hmmmm.

They do they beginning silence on purpose for cuing purposes - I prefer it myself over some of the discs that just start off the second you push play.  The SC discs you at least have a couple seconds to make sure the right song is up before the wrong music starts blasting.  If you run 2 players there is no down time, start the 2nd player as the 1st one is ending.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:30 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

SC & Stellar have confirmed the two messages as authentic.

They ARE going to still go after the 1:1 computer jocks (those that buy their discs, rip to only one machine per disc)... now whether or not it's going to stick in court, I don't know.

Common sense tells me no way, but I doubt ANY of us have any real clarity of mind when it comes to the court systems.

By taking such an aggressive stance on even loyal disc purchasers that are not out to rip off the manus, in my mind, they're making a tragic mistake. I know that THM has hurt the sales from PHM... Heck, I PERSONALLY told Tom from Stellar that I was going the digital route, and since his company frowned on digitizing their product, that I was going to go the route of the one manu that was putting monthly releases in mp3+g format. And I know I wasn't the only one!

This is going to be a train wreck to be sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:42 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It will prove interesting LOL

I have been plugging into the SC boards and the Jolt forum and have read the most recent comments and positions by Mfg's ....and what a mess it is for sure.

If you read between the lines of what BC says on the SC boards I'm picking up a strange vibe that they know where the industry is heading and that KJ's will probably not be a big part of it in the future....I may be wrong here but if you go back and re-read it it sounds like the industry is going mainstream and will eventually bypass the KJ.

Is anyone picking up on those vibes as well, or is it just me?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:06 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
Flipper @ Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:42 pm wrote:
I may be wrong here but if you go back and re-read it it sounds like the industry is going mainstream and will eventually bypass the KJ.

I don't know what you mean. Any decent performance is going to require an orchestrator. If you think that a self-service one-size fits all sound and equipment with no emcee is going to replace a decent KJ, I don't know what to say.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:12 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
mckyj57 @ Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:06 pm wrote:
Flipper @ Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:42 pm wrote:
I may be wrong here but if you go back and re-read it it sounds like the industry is going mainstream and will eventually bypass the KJ.

I don't know what you mean. Any decent performance is going to require an orchestrator. If you think that a self-service one-size fits all sound and equipment with no emcee is going to replace a decent KJ, I don't know what to say.

Did the Jukebox replace the DJ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next