KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Loaded hard drives Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Loaded hard drives
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:36 am 
I would rather have 5,000 great sounding songs on a great sounding system, than 100,000 songs with 2 shoe box size speakers and cheap microphones. LMAO  LMAO

I just love how STUPID my competition is.   Makes me smile more everyday. :yes:  :worship:

I have Pioneer Laser discs 1-57 plus the UK (300) set and all the Country discs.

Tip Top lasers 1-21

Pioneer complete CDG set.     The rock (blue), country(orange) and oldies (green).

Original DK set 1-99.

Many Sound Choice, Music Maestros, Legends, Star Discs, Back Stage, Uk, Chartbusters, All Hits, Pop Hits Monthly/country, Pop Hits Today, Pocket Songs, Top Hits Monthly, Sweet Georgia Brown, Sunfly, Lost Classics, Dangerous, JVC, Nikoda, Country Hits Today, Standing Ovation, etc.

About 9,500 one-of-a-kind songs.   Haven't done a count lately (since January).

I just sold a complete almost identical system to some people.     Completely trained them.   In 2 months from the day they started looking for jobs, they work 5 nights a week.    That's all they want.

That reminds me, the one speaker girl just lost her job to them, totally.    Another hack out of work. LMAO    You go, my newbies. :worship:  :worship:

More hacks to slay everyday. :yes:

Sleep nice hacks.  :asleep:  I'll sing you to sleep on a good system. LMAO  LMAO  :O  :drums:   Yours will cause nightmares. :O  :shock:   Now that's some scary karaoke. :yes:  :shock:  LMAO 2 shoe box speakers and a $50 microphone.    Yeeeehaaaa.   Fade to black..... while playing "Thriller"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:21 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Quote:
I just sold a complete almost identical system to some people.     Completely trained them.   In 2 months from the day they started looking for jobs, they work 5 nights a week.    That's all they want.

Hmmm...  Are you telling us that you have exact duplicates of your karaoke collection and you sold them to some people?  Were those CDGs and laser discs that you just happened to have exact original copies of that you were able to sell to those people?

Inquiring minds wanna know.  Now, I'm really curious...

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:44 am 
:yes:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:31 am 
Someone told me tonight that there are 6 new area KJs with hard drives.     All competing for my turf.    LMAO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:00 pm 
Sorry, folks, but I have a different opinion.  As a devotee who is not a KJ I look, first, for the shows that offer the greatest selection of songs.

There are several KJ's in my area now using "loaded" hard drives and there are others who have CAVS systems.  Those using laptops have CDG players and disks that they no longer use.  Their sound systems are as good as anybody's; one guy using a laptop pushes 500 watts and a has a bass that can rattle cars in the parking lot.  And frankly, while I know the difference, I don't care all that much about the sound system unless it really sucks.  I want to like the KJ, the other people at the show, and the song selection.

It's nice to be shown on the screen of a laptop several different versions (and some duplicates) of the same song.  And it's nice to find songs by artists not available at other shows (e.g.  Eddy Raven, Fruitcakes by Buffet, a lot of Bob Marley, Merle Haggard, John Conlee, Jay & The Americans, Drifters, Platters, Sam Cooke, 5th Dimensions, Pink Floyd, Meat Loaf).  While I can usually find a nice selection on CAV systems with about 10,000 songs, but it is nice to have 60,000, or maybe it's really only 30,009 (after dups) songs to choose from

I've been singing out for four years now.  I have compiled a list of over 400 songs that I have sung.  I'm not looking to sing the same 3 songs every night; I want diversity and lots of it!  I don't condone pirating, if that's what's involved.  However, the guys with the CAVS systems tell me they can't play their files on any other piece of equipment, including a similar piece of CAVS equipment.  If you own two pieces of CAVS equipment, you have to double your investment in the software.

So, for whatever it's worth, that's my take

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:21 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
ericlater @ Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:00 pm wrote:
Sorry, folks, but I have a different opinion.  As a devotee who is not a KJ I look, first, for the shows that offer the greatest selection of songs.

SO a show that has a large book - even though many of those may be dups or crap version is more important than quality?  Interesting.

Quote:
It's nice to be shown on the screen of a laptop several different versions (and some duplicates) of the same song.  And it's nice to find songs by artists not available at other shows (e.g.  Eddy Raven, Fruitcakes by Buffet, a lot of Bob Marley, Merle Haggard, John Conlee, Jay & The Americans, Drifters, Platters, Sam Cooke, 5th Dimensions, Pink Floyd, Meat Loaf).  While I can usually find a nice selection on CAV systems with about 10,000 songs, but it is nice to have 60,000, or maybe it's really only 30,009 (after dups) songs to choose from

You can't look through a book, I have a master book that you can do just that as well.

Quote:
I don't condone pirating, if that's what's involved.  
Quote:

Unfortunatly, this IS what is involved in a majority of the cases - especially with the jerks selling on e-bay & craigs list.

Quote:
However, the guys with the CAVS systems tell me they can't play their files on any other piece of equipment, including a similar piece of CAVS equipment.  If you own two pieces of CAVS equipment, you have to double your investment in the software.

Hopefully you mean they have to purchase another set of music for that second player & not just use 1 set for both player - this is highly illegal!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:33 pm 
Briefly, the preponderance of songs are SC, CB, Legend, SGB, not crap versions.  I'm not out there looking to sing 400 crap versions of songs.  And while it's not the case, what if 1/2 of 60,000 songs are exact dups?  That leaves 30,009 to choose from.

And it surprises me that you imply that it is fair for those for those with CAVS systems to have to pay for the same software, over when they purchase another CAVS system. Did you have to repurchase all of your disks when you bought a back up cdg player?

Also, you can't look through a book with 60,000 or even 30,000 songs, unfortunately!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:43 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

ericlater @ Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:33 pm wrote:
Briefly, the preponderance of songs are SC, CB, Legend, SGB, not crap versions.  I'm not out there looking to sing 400 crap versions of songs.  And while it's not the case, what if 1/2 of 60,000 songs are exact dups?  That leaves 30,009 to choose from.

Ok chances are over 2/3rds of those songs are songs you would never even consider singing, but it's great that they have them.

[/quote]And it surprises me that you imply that it is fair for those for those with CAVS systems to have to pay for the same software, over when they purchase another CAVS system. Did you have to repurchase all of your disks when you bought a back up cdg player?[/quote]

Did I have to repurchase all my discs, well in fact I did - i'm legal in that manner.  It's too easy for the computer users & cavs users to just make a hard drive dup & have 2 (or more) shows running.  This is not only blatently illegal but also screws the karaoke field out in general from the manufacturer, to karaoke companies, to the average consumer as manufacturers are being stolen from directly from every copy that is made AND used at the same time for monetary gain - it's a loss to them because they weren't paid for that actively working copy, so they don't produce as much music or anything that be a little obscure staying to 'mainstream' only releases & those are even becoming less & less often due to piracy.

Quote:
Also, you can't look through a book with 60,000 or even 30,000 songs, unfortunately!

You can't look through a printed book, but you'd take the time to stand and have a host scroll through his program for you while running a show?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:00 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
Quote:
one guy using a laptop pushes 500 watts and a has a bass that can rattle cars in the parking lot.

Most of the pros get that out of one speaker.  I get 1,200 out of my tops, don't have subs yet.  My partner gets 2,500 out of his system, tops and bottoms.  I would say most on here have similar, depending if they're running tops ot tops and bottoms.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:04 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 52 times
ericlater @ Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:00 pm wrote:

Just casue you have a lot of songs dosen't mean you have a GREAT SELECTION.
A competior of mine boast that they have over 20K in karaoke songs.  So I downloaded his list of songs, put them in exceel, remove dupes, and he had about 9K in unique songs.  THat is a heck of a lot of dupes.  Yes It it nice to have some dupes, as long as they are different versions of the same song.  But in all reality, the guy had like 30 listing for "I Got You Babe".  6 of them were Char buster version, and 4 were Sound Choice version, along with several other versions from other manufactures.
Quote:

t's nice to be shown on the screen of a laptop several different versions (and some duplicates) of the same song.  And it's nice to find songs by artists not available at other shows (e.g.  Eddy Raven, Fruitcakes by Buffet, a lot of Bob Marley, Merle Haggard, John Conlee, Jay & The Americans, Drifters, Platters, Sam Cooke, 5th Dimensions, Pink Floyd, Meat Loaf).  While I can usually find a nice selection on CAV systems with about 10,000 songs, but it is nice to have 60,000, or maybe it's really only 30,009 (after dups) songs to choose from
Yeah I hate going to shows that don't have a variety of music too, but just casue they have 60,000 songs dosen't meant that they have a good selection.  That is why I have burned custom discs for the wife and I with the songs and version we like.  Used them at a competiors show that we go to on occasion, and he dosent have some of the songs we have.  So we use our discs.  Someone got pissed at him casue I sang "ride On" by AC/DC, and this someon gt pissed casue he wanted to sing it too a few week later after hearing me sing it, but that host dind't have the song.  Well, that person is now a regular at my shows, casue I have the song he wants.  BTW, that competior boasts he has 15,000 songs, but still dosent have the selection I have with about 6,000 songs
Quote:

I've been singing out for four years now.  I have compiled a list of over 400 songs that I have sung.  I'm not looking to sing the same 3 songs every night; I want diversity and lots of it!

Consider your self in a minority.  On on of my systems I keep track of the songs that were played.  There were approx 1,300 uniques songs played 5,000 times in the last 120 days (or there abouts).  

I would LOVE to have more singers like you at my shows, but most people sing the same 5-10 songs, and hardly ever try somthin new.
Quote:

I don't condone pirating, if that's what's involved.  However, the guys with the CAVS systems tell me they can't play their files on any other piece of equipment, including a similar piece of CAVS equipment.  If you own two pieces of CAVS equipment, you have to double your investment in the software.

So, for whatever it's worth, that's my take

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:08 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

timberlea @ Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:00 pm wrote:
Quote:
one guy using a laptop pushes 500 watts and a has a bass that can rattle cars in the parking lot.

Most of the pros get that out of one speaker.  I get 1,200 out of my tops, don't have subs yet.  My partner gets 2,500 out of his system, tops and bottoms.  I would say most on here have similar, depending if they're running tops ot tops and bottoms.

I run 600 watts into my highs alone.  500 watts isn't a lot in a pro system.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:17 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

twansenne @ Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:04 pm wrote:
Quote:

I've been singing out for four years now.  I have compiled a list of over 400 songs that I have sung.  I'm not looking to sing the same 3 songs every night; I want diversity and lots of it!

Consider your self in a minority.  On on of my systems I keep track of the songs that were played.  There were approx 1,300 uniques songs played 5,000 times in the last 120 days (or there abouts).  

I would LOVE to have more singers like you at my shows, but most people sing the same 5-10 songs, and hardly ever try somthin new.

I could probably run a successful show with 1,000 songs realistically, I too would love to have more diverse songs sung.  I run over 10K unique song titles (about 13K with dups - I pick carefully) 75-80% Sound Choice, then Pioneer, DK, Chartbuster, Monthlies and lesser percentage off brands, with songs these newer kj's can't legally get as they are discs & manufacturers that are no longer avaiable, however, like twans said, it's the same group that sings the same few.  I do have a few that save their own slips & write down every song they want to try & keep them with them when they come in.  Marked with a star on basis of how they did, or an X if they do not want to try that song again.  They do continually look through the book - I also have mine online so you can see - for new songs as well & write down the ones they want to try.  On occasion they will actually hand me a stack of suicides & tell me to pick!   :dancin:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:10 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Eric, if those files were gotten illegally, and nobody stands up to them, what will eventually happen is the manus will quietly shut down, and stop production. SC has already scaled way back. THM and PHM have stopped entire lines due to piracy.

All you're thinking of is your own needs.

The singers and kjs ALL need to consider the manu's. I realize that sounds weird... but it's the blatant piracy that's making this happen.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:18 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
why do u guys care if its free we pay enough in this damn world chill out wonders of the net relax not costing u nothing i get all my stuff free

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:27 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

beckyj25 @ Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:18 pm wrote:
why do u guys care if its free we pay enough in this  world chill out wonders of the net relax not costing u nothing i get all my stuff free

Ah but that's where you are wrong.  It's costing me because other illegal kj's download illegal music then run shows that us legal kj's may get.  They also could get the bar into trouble by running illegal libraries.  Now along with illegal kj's copying & running shows  with illegal copies, home consumers downloading hurts as well because the manufacturers don't get their money for that illegal copy & it also cuts back on music produced for everyone, as Matt stated, certain companies are already out of business, many have cut back drastically in what they produce & some have dropped entire lines due to illegal downloads - if you don't think it hurts karaoke in general - think again :(  :shock:  Pretty soon the only thing going to be available is crappy sounding companies that are illegal to begin with by not obtaining proper licensing to reproduce the music in the first place!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:56 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

But even the illegal manus will go out of business as they will not be able to pay their staff and expenses because no money (read revenue from sales) will be coming in.  Music costs money period.  If no one is buying and getting it "free", there will be no music because no one will be able to afford to make any.

Now do you get it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:18 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Just because you CAN do it... SHOULD you do it?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:02 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Only if you're Matt.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:29 am 
You're all ABSOLUTELY correct.  I did check and the DJ I said had 500 has a 5000 watt system.  So, WATT.  My point is that there are KJ's out there with loaded discs who are not using "shoe box" systems.   If you'll recall, I said that I select a show based upon three criteria:  The KJ (particularly management of the rotation), the other singers (their reaction to other singers and their showmanship), and l-a-s-t-l-y the selection.

Lonman.  Most every KJ I talk with has a back system, in case the main unit fails.  When I asked if you repurchased every disc you own at the time you purchased your second cdg player, I was implying that the second unit was for use when your main unit malfunctioned.  Why should someone who wants to back up his CAVS hardware have to purchase a second catalog of software?

And, as you pointed out, a lot of what you own in the way of CD's are no longer available.  So, how did you include those when you created your second set of songs?

Lastly, I can understand how new KJ's, probably knowing little about the business and the law, are anxious to get started on the "cheap".  I don't understand how those who have been in business for years and are trying to make a living from the "Karaoke" industry don't see how what they are doing is "biting the hand that feeds them".

I go to venues and often spend more than I would like to help support the show.  If I don't, the show may be gone the following week!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:19 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

ericlater @ Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:29 am wrote:
Lonman.  Most every KJ I talk with has a back system, in case the main unit fails.  When I asked if you repurchased every disc you own at the time you purchased your second cdg player, I was implying that the second unit was for use when your main unit malfunctioned.  Why should someone who wants to back up his CAVS hardware have to purchase a second catalog of software?

If it for a TRUE backup system, then i'm all for it.  If they are USING that backup system at any time their main system is being used, then they are a true thief/pirate/scumbag, as they are now making money of of a system they didn't pay for in the first place!  
However this isn't about people who converted their legally purchased discs, this is about the loaded hard drives that idiots sell on e-bay that people/kj's buy THINKING they are legal in the first place just because they paid money for them, when in fact they are not (no original discs) - although I am willing to bet most know these drives are illegal in the first place & just don't care!!! :(

Quote:
And, as you pointed out, a lot of what you own in the way of CD's are no longer available.  So, how did you include those when you created your second set of songs?

When I put together my second system, I DIDN'T include some of those songs or discs because they were no longer available.  I did my best & scoured ebay & other sources I have for used discs & got several after much searching - not all, but I copied nothing for the second system.

Quote:
Lastly, I can understand how new KJ's, probably knowing little about the business and the law, are anxious to get started on the "cheap".  I don't understand how those who have been in business for years and are trying to make a living from the "Karaoke" industry don't see how what they are doing is "biting the hand that feeds them".

You lost me here?  - biting the hand that feeds us?

Quote:
I go to venues and often spend more than I would like to help support the show.  If I don't, the show may be gone the following week!

As any customer should that enjoys a specific show/club.  Drink water/coffee or soda all night & that doesn't pay for the cost of allowing you to sing at their establishment!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next