KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Need some suggestions for slow dance music Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Tonight I had two different parties that wanted some slow dance music. I barely pulled it off and pretty much felt like a deer in the headlights.
I played F.Hill/Breath and Claptons/Wonderful Tonight, things along that line.
What I don't want to do is get caught off guard again. I mean it was actually pretty cool to see couples out there slow dancing and singing along with the tunes, so I'd like to be able to accommodate them in the future. I'm all about being prepared and tonight, I have to admit that I wasn't.
thanks,
James
Maninblack

Being critical of a person's success in any respect speaks volumes about the lack of your own.

Love as though you've never been hurt, Dance as though no one's watching, Sing as though God Himself were listening.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:59 pm 
There are a lot of good slow oldies.   If they're in a dancing mood any type of a slow song should work.   Country, oldies, rock, ballads.     Do you have any disc sets.    They should contain a nice mix of tempos.   Garth Brooks, The Dance.   Lady in Red.   I Will Always Love You, Whitney Houston.    Angel Eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:43 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 11 times
Go back to ballad in the mid-late 1960's and early 70's.

The day's of "Get Together" by the youngbloods. etc.. MOST ballad was slow... Seals and Crofts,  Loggins and Messina, Clapton (As you stated), Traffic, Bread, America, Chapin, Lightfoot, IF you'd like lists I have MANY... Beatles,  Dear Prudence, Long Long Long, etc etc etc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:14 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

BRYAN ADAMS
BEE GEES
BILLY JOEL
DIANA ROSS
ERIC CLAPTON
ELVIS PRESLEY
GARY MOORE
WHITNEY HOUSTON
LIONEL RICHIE
MARIAH CAREY
MICHAEL BUBLE
NEIL DIAMOND
PAUL MCCARTNEY
ROD STEWART
TOM JONES
ROBBIE WILLIAMS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:55 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Jame's.   At our age, this should be easy.... As I said.  We grew up in the day's of "Slow love ballad"...  Half the song's were slow in our day....

Stones

Wild horses,  Angie,

Association

Never my love,  CHerish

Rod Stewart

Glad bags sad rag's

COmmodores

Sweet Love,  Still, Three times a lady,  This is your life

JT

High mr that's me on the Jukebox,  You can close your eyes, fire and rain, you've got a friend

Jimmy Buffet

Come monday, Son of a son of a sailor

Lightfoot

If you could read my mind,  Summer side of life ?

Bread

If,  It don't matter to me

Led Zep.

Thank you, Rain song, stairway to heaven (most of it)

Stylistics

Betcha by golly wow..

I'll read off an old set list of stuff we used to cover...

Amanda-Boston
Can't find my way home- Either TRaffic, or Clapton (EC was here)
You made me so very happy BS&T
Cause we ended as Lovers- Jeff Beck
Theme from an imaginary Western-  Mountain
Celluloid Hero's-  Kinks
Silver paper-  Mountain
Sometimes in Winter- BS&T
Ruby Tuesday
Love TKO- Pendergrass
Broken Arrow- R RObertson covered by R stewart and alot of others
Lady Jane-Stones
Drift away-Dobie Grey
Dying to live- Johnny winter +
I'll write a song for you EW&F
Cool change- Litte River band
I love you-Climax blues band
Rikki don't lose that number- Steely Dan
Dear Prudence- Beatles
Didn't I blow your mind this time-Delfonics
Everybody is a star- Sly
Share the land- GUess who
Let me take you home tonight (1/2-fassed) hehehe
More than a feeling -also Boston
The man I'll never be-Boston
Can't you see-Marshall Tucker
Midnight rider-Allman bros
Please call home-Allman bros

It goes ON AND ON///

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:00 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Angel-hendrix
Hey Joe
Little Wing
Castles in the Sand
The wind cries Mary
Night's in white satin-moody blues
Dire straits get's into medium slow--sort've like the grateful dead... People hang onto each other not knowing what to do... LMAO

Tunnel of love
Skate away
Wanted dead or alive-Bon Jovi  (that must've been around 1986 cause it was new when I had to learn it) LOL ...

That's about it for now...

other stuff is Carly Simon, Helen Reddy, ABBA, Manilow, Janis Ian, Carol King

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:09 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I have a few suggestions

I Could Not Ask for More - Edwin McCain
I'll Be - Edwin McCain
Never Tear Us Apart - Inxs
When You Say Nothing At All - Keith Whitley
Live Like You Were Dying - Tim McGraw

Man I have a brain cramp lmao.....well maybe these might help. If I think of more I'll come back and add them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:12 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Actually, you just made me think of a good point Fiery, If he's doing more of a country venue,  they might not want classic rock/ballad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:12 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I love anything by Gato Barbieri.  "Europa" is one of the most sensual songs I have ever heard.  I'm getting chills just thinking about it now....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:16 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Seal too, get's into some pretty interesting stuff....  Newborn Friend,  Kiss from a Rose.  Chicago had loads of slow stuff too.... Yet he's in tennessee, and they might want country.... I guess it depends on venue...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:26 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

LOL I'm screwed for country suggestions mostly... I generally sing rock/alt... country is usually by request. I managed to squeeze one out because I sing the Alison Krauss when you say nothing at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:29 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

All I can really think of when I think of slow dance music, is country rock... "Feed Jake" to me, isn't the most romantic song in the world  LMAO.. while country rock is loaded with slow renditions...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:31 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

How many couples fall in love while embraced dancing to

"Fly fishing",  or

"If I die, before I awake, feed jake,  he's been a good dog" ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:41 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Luly @ Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:12 am wrote:
I love anything by Gato Barbieri.  "Europa" is one of the most sensual songs I have ever heard.  I'm getting chills just thinking about it now....

:shock: and I get chill bumps just thinking about you gettin chill bumps ;)

WOW, thanks guys and gals, some really great and I do mean great suggestions here.
I guess what I need to do is make a complilation disc with some of these tunes on it, that way there's no wait time in between tunes.

Yeah the one ole boy that wanted to slow dance with his lady, he also has a huge Karaoke setup. He was pretty drunk last night, and most of the conversation was him telling me what I needed to do for the show, and what kind of music I needed and blah, blah, blah. Now had he been sober I would have probably paid a bit more attention, but he's one of our 'penny millionaires' as I call them, so he came off arrogant and rude.
Well I pulled out the ole 'Wonderful Tonight' for him and his lady, and just like I thought he would do, his ego took over, he gets the mic and is actually trying to sing to his lady while he's dancing....LOL so that meant that he kept looking over his shoulder and turning back around so he could see the monitor. From my point of view it was pretty funny, but I knew actually what I was doing, just feeding the ego  baby, sometimes that's all you can do. Well it worked, after the song finished, sure enough, mama had a tear in her eye, and he was the hero. Yep, somebody was gonna get lucky. While he was walking off the stage, he comes over and palms me a 20, with the comment, 'good job, I apologize for being such a a$$, you do know what you're doing'.......hehehe After that, it was about ten minutes later, mama was leading him by the hand and they made their way home. So it was a good night for all.
It's actually those moments that make it fun to do Karaoke, especially when everyone's leaving for the night and they make it a point to walk by the stage and tell you what fun they had. The boss was taking this all in, and after the show wanted to sit down with me and look over the calendar and book some additional dates. It was a very good night indeed. I just want to have more moments like that, and I think with the suggestions you folks have made, I can make it happen again. So thank you very much.
Respectfully,
James
Maninblack

Being critical of a person's success in any respect speaks volumes about the lack of your own.

Love as though you've never been hurt, Dance as though no one's watching, Sing as though God Himself were listening.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:49 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

maninblack @ Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:41 pm wrote:

Gawd, do I have to restrain myself here.... LOL

Glad you had a good evening, James.  Do listen to that song (Europa) if you never have.  The saxophone is one of my favorite instruments and it's played so beautifully and seductively on this song.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:16 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Luly @ Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:49 pm wrote:
maninblack @ Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:41 pm wrote:

Gawd, do I have to restrain myself here.... LOL

Glad you had a good evening, James.  Do listen to that song (Europa) if you never have.  The saxophone is one of my favorite instruments and it's played so beautifully and seductively on this song.

Actually I am familiar with 'Europa' off of the Caliente album, because it came out back in 76'. A band that I jammed with sometimes played it. They were all into Chicago, Earth Wind & Fire, Tower of Power and stuff like that. I would set in and do some of the rock tunes with them. We played at some of the more upscale private dance clubs in the area at that time, and these folks were very much into that style of music. And you are correct it is very sensual music. I'm also a big fan of the Bob James/Earl Klug type stuff as well. What about Boney James, you like any of that?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:12 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

maninblack @ Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:16 am wrote:
...I'm also a big fan of the Bob James/Earl Klug type stuff as well. What about Boney James, you like any of that?

I'll be very honest, I've never heard of any of these artists.  Are they country? When I get home I'll go into Rhapsody and listen to some of their stuff and tell ya what I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:07 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Luly @ Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:12 am wrote:
maninblack @ Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:16 am wrote:
...I'm also a big fan of the Bob James/Earl Klug type stuff as well. What about Boney James, you like any of that?

I'll be very honest, I've never heard of any of these artists.  Are they country? When I get home I'll go into Rhapsody and listen to some of their stuff and tell ya what I think.

Country?....LOL nope, not at all. They're slow groove jazz, what I like to call candlelight jazz. Bob James/Earl Klug are piano/guitar, Boney James is horns. Yeah check them out, I think you may like some of their stuff. I use to go to a jazz bar in Atlanta called Walter Mittys, it was a speakeasy styled bar, with just piano, guitar, drums, and stand up bass, with the occasional sax player setting in. It was really nice laid back low key type stuff. I was usually the only white guy in the place, but everyone knew me and knew that when I came in the door, I was looking for a place to relax and get away from all the loud music that I normally played.

James
Maninblack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:03 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well, I just found out Bob James did the theme for the tv show Taxi called "Angela", very cool.  I also enjoyed listening to his rendition of "Fly Me To the Moon".  He's a great pianist.  "Heart String" from Earl Klugh was some nice guitar playing.  My father plays the guitar so I get to listen to it all the time.  It's so mellow that I sometimes fall asleep listening to it.  I remember always feeling so at peace as a child listening to my father jammin' on his guitar.  I'm now listening to Boney James' "Ain't No Sunshine".  Wow, there's just something about the sax that is so soothing and scintillating at the same time.  

Thanks for introducing me to these great artists, James!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:47 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Luly @ Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:03 pm wrote:
Well, I just found out Bob James did the theme for the tv show Taxi called "Angela", very cool.  I also enjoyed listening to his rendition of "Fly Me To the Moon".  He's a great pianist.  "Heart String" from Earl Klugh was some nice guitar playing.  My father plays the guitar so I get to listen to it all the time.  It's so mellow that I sometimes fall asleep listening to it.  I remember always feeling so at peace as a child listening to my father jammin' on his guitar.  I'm now listening to Boney James' "Ain't No Sunshine".  Wow, there's just something about the sax that is so soothing and scintillating at the same time.  

Thanks for introducing me to these great artists, James!

My pleasure