KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - What Would The Ideal Karaoke Spot Be Like? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 7:02 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 1049 times
Based on Dakota's excellent suggestion, I present this topic for discussion. I'll start...

Before we even get to the entertainment, the place should have great food and drinks that are reasonably priced. And of course, great service.

The place should have ample parking, with a parking lot that's not full of pot holes.

The atmosphere should be welcoming and comfortable. There should be a lot of room for the singers to freely move around during their performance and enough room for people who want to dance. In other words, not in a confined area.

Now, let's talk about the karaoke...

The sound quality should be outstanding. The KJ should know how to run a board and make every voice sound good. He should have great people skills, a great personality and treat everyone fairly.

Well, that's a start...

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 7:10 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 330 times
Alan B wrote:
Based on Dakota's excellent suggestion, I present this topic for discussion. I'll start...

Before we even get to the entertainment, the place should have great food and drinks that are reasonably priced. And of course, great service.

The place should have ample parking, with a parking lot that's not full of pot holes.

The atmosphere should be welcoming and comfortable. There should be a lot of room for the singers to freely move around during their performance and enough room for people who want to dance. In other words, not in a confined area.

Now, let's talk about the karaoke...

The sound quality should be outstanding. The KJ should know how to run a board and make every voice sound good. He should have great people skills, a great personality and treat everyone fairly.

Well, that's a start...

Ummm, Alan,, that is really a very generic starting point. Your description of the "ideal" bar kind of looks like Carls Jr. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 5:12 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrscott wrote:

Ummm, Alan,, that is really a very generic starting point. Your description of the "ideal" bar kind of looks like Carls Jr. :D

I'm looking forward to hearing what your views are for what the ideal karaoke spot would be like.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 5:27 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:

I'm looking forward to hearing what your views are for what the ideal karaoke spot would be like.

I'll pass Alan, I do not want to be the subject of anybody's ridicule on what I have in mind. But let me say this much, it would be an amazing place for public performances.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 7:06 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

mrscott wrote:
Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:

I'll pass Alan, I do not want to be the subject of anybody's ridicule on what I have in mind. But let me say this much, it would be an amazing place for public performances.
I would really love to hear about it... as well as other people's opinions.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 2:33 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:
Alan B wrote:
mrscott wrote:

I would really love to hear about it... as well as other people's opinions.

I wasn't going to do this, but here goes.

Alan, for the most part, I fully agree in your basic assessment. I believe that there should be a certain basic level of expectations of what a "proper" karaoke spot should be. There are the "required" boxes to tick, and then there are viewpoint on what I would do if I had the ability to create such a spot. Those boxes are much more specific, and I will try to describe what I would like to see.

The concept I have in mind is much more of a "music and entertainment destination", rather than just for karaoke.

I will start with driving into the parking lot. A lot that is large, open, well lit with no dangerous dark areas. One that has video surveillance around the clock for safety concerns. This is a medium size venue with maybe between 300-400 capacity. It would be a combined entertainment venue plus dining for all ages (until a certain set time at night when minors would need to vacate). Food (and bar) would be high quality full meals offered until around 10 p.m. or so, with smaller items (appetizers for sharing) available until maybe an hour before closing time. The place would be well lit with warm lighting in the dining areas. The place would be a clean, well maintained place with plenty of comfortable seating/tables. All seating should have a reasonably good view of the stage area. I might also mention that bathrooms would be clean and spacious with enough stalls to accommodate several people. ALL staff, MUST be warm, friendly, encouraging of the performers, plus be fully trained for multiple tasks. Yes I know what I am asking here, but this is my dream, OK? Ceiling would be very tall, and the acoustics would be amazing. Alright then, the stage area would be a medium size, semi circular stage that is elevated (2 to 3 steps is all) above a large dance floor. The dance sits the lowest (elevation wise) to the rest of the building. The access to the dance floor and stage would have several spots around the edge of the floor. There would be a smaller section of seating and tables (set around the back edge of the dance floor) that is only one step above the dance floor on the opposite side to the stage. This would be prime seating for certain events, but available at all times otherwise. The stage also has its own entrance from the back and sides for bands or special performances. This venue would be tall enough for there to be a balcony that overlooks the stage and dance floor as well. Pool tables and games for patrons to use. Seating would be available up there as well. The main view spot from the balcony would only be used on event nights for "select customers". There would be a green room and a couple of dressing rooms behind the stage for multiple needs. The back stage also would have it's own bathrooms. Professional level lighting for the stage would be able to spotlight individual performers as well as entire bands. Great sound is a must, with high quality equipment. Wired microphones on stands would be the default ones provided, but wireless would be available upon request. I would probably use either Shure Sm58's and maybe Super55's for fun, or Sennheiser's E935's. A professional technical booth for lighting and sound would need to be available to all who require "house sound" (karaoke, open mic, etc.) LOTS of TV's placed around the entire venue, so that at any given spot, customers can see the screens. When not being used for karaoke, those TV's would play a variety of events, music videos, sports, or videos of past performers from the venue. A qualified and trained person for the technical part would be on staff at all open hours. When there are events such as karaoke, bands, contests, etc., there would be a host for that event who would need to be a fun, positive and encouraging of all performers.

Weekly lineups would sort of look like this.
Mondays would be open mic nights or individuals who would like some time on the stage. Time would start maybe around 7 p.m. or so. All pre-arranged and authorized of course.
Tuesdays would be audition night for bands, set up into 2 hour blocks, so you could have 2 or 3 bands audition on a given night, also starting around 7 p.m. or so.
Wednesday, Thursday and Friday would be dedicated karaoke nights with that fun, friendly, positive person I was describing above, and the technical person running the booth. This gives the host time to "schmooze" the crowd. This person must be the master of the 30 second conversation :D
Saturday nights would be band or special event nights. ALL advertised months in advance. I would like to see if it would be possible to attract well known entertainers as well.

That's it folks,,,, there is my dream. Now it's time to wake up !!

Last edited by mrscott on Sat May 18, 2024 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 3:48 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

I almost forgot this too...

Even the restaurant part of the business, during open hours, would also have the ability for all ages to have a chance to perform on stage (up until the set time, around 7 or so would be fine). Patrons would find mini kiosks and encouraging advertising on each table when the urge for someone to sing. Find the song, load it into the system, and the staff would be more than happy (and encouraging) to get the singer(s) onto the stage when it's their turn. After all, this IS an entertainment venue, so most patrons or their family members, should be keen on the idea of singing. A possibility of reserving time blocks may also be available, jut a thought.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 6:18 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Your ideas for the perfect venue sound amazing. You covered everything. I would love it if such a place or places actually existed.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 6:35 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Back in the day, there was a place called Big Mama's Karaoke Cafe. It was owned by Chartbuster Karaoke. Anybody could eat, drink, and sing any time of the day. It was the most ultimate karaoke venue anywhere. It's a shame it closed in 2011. But, just watch this video and see what it was all about... mind blowing. Click on this link below and prepare to be blown away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSstr9vb1hk