KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Was accused by SC went tru audit anybody want to know the real story Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:29 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Sounds like a classic case of harassment to me. In theory then, their audits could never end, be ongoing, and you'd be at their mercy, as well as any clubs we work at. And clubs and bars are standing still for this as well? Bet we loose jobs by all this. we won't have to worry about the pirates. Sound choice is harassing the clubs, and they'll get out of karaoke for sure. Something just doesn't sound right here. Can't be the case. And the fact that you join some organization saves you from their relentless pursuit? I sure don't see any evidense what soever, anywhere...that this has even slowed down a person using illegal disc songs or whatever. Sounds like a bad economic down turn for sound choice to me. Someones making money here. And the sad part about it, is sound choice isn't even making new disc are they? nope...somethings not right with this scenario. :vomit:

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:54 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
karaoke for food..... @ Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:29 pm wrote:
Sounds like a classic case of harassment to me. In theory then, their audits could never end, be ongoing, and you'd be at their mercy, as well as any clubs we work at. And clubs and bars are standing still for this as well? Bet we loose jobs by all this. we won't have to worry about the pirates. Sound choice is harassing the clubs, and they'll get out of karaoke for sure. Something just doesn't sound right here. Can't be the case. And the fact that you join some organization saves you from their relentless pursuit? I sure don't see any evidense what soever, anywhere...that this has even slowed down a person using illegal disc songs or whatever. Sounds like a bad economic down turn for sound choice to me. Someones making money here. And the sad part about it, is sound choice isn't even making new disc are they? nope...somethings not right with this scenario. :vomit:

Sounds like a racket some guys from Sicily would be interested in. "Gee it's be terrible if something were to happen to your Karaoke library..."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:59 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
all our venues have registerd with Safe Harbor...venues here don't seem to mind the education of how to aviod being sued and how to hire a legit host

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:42 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
Lonman @ Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:47 am wrote:
JoeChartreuse @ Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:15 pm wrote:
Lone Wolf @ Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:10 am wrote:
kjathena @ Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:33 pm wrote:
As I was told unless they have reason to beileve that we "crossed to the dark side" and became pirates we are ok. We are joining KIAA OOPS POOP to show we will remain legal. Yes that does give them the right to request further audits but we do not care If you are legal you have nothing to worry about..

How does joining a group (POOP) show you will remain legal?
By paying their fees?

I.

It doesn't make anyone LEGAL, any more than passing an SC audit does. All it does is get a CLAIM from SC ( and not documented at all) that they may not hassle you again- or they might. Nothing at all to do with LEGAL anything..
Unless you buy all your downloads from Sound Choice in the mp3g format making them LEGAL for your show, but even they admit if you have the disc it's now ok on a 1:1 ratio provided you actually have the disc for each & any system you run.

Lon, to repeat, SC has no authority to LEGALIZE anything! That was the point. They can only claim that it's ok with THEM. No laws involved..

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:33 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
JoeChartreuse @ Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:42 pm wrote:
As I was told unless they have reason to beileve that we "crossed to the dark side" and became pirates we are ok. We are joining KIAA OOPS POOP to show we will remain legal. Yes that does give them the right to request further audits but we do not care If you are legal you have nothing to worry about..

By paying their fees?

I.

It doesn't make anyone LEGAL, any more than passing an SC audit does. All it does is get a CLAIM from SC ( and not documented at all) that they may not hassle you again- or they might. Nothing at all to do with LEGAL anything..
Unless you buy all your downloads from Sound Choice in the mp3g format making them LEGAL for your show, but even they admit if you have the disc it's now ok on a 1:1 ratio provided you actually have the disc for each & any system you run.

Lon, to repeat, SC has no authority to LEGALIZE anything! That was the point. They can only claim that it's ok with THEM. No laws involved..

Only speculation, but how do you know they did not acquire digital rights making them legal mp3g's in the eyes of the law.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:28 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 268 times
Lonman: Kurt slep from soundchoice has already confirmed that their licensing agreement only contains the right to transfer their music and trademark. They have no control or ability to grant rights for the graphic/lyrics. Their OPINION is that if you transfer it to harddrive, no one will bother you.

This also happens to be their position for ripping a CDG disc to a harddrive.

However, these files are 100% legal if you use them directly from the discs they are burned to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:33 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

jclaydon @ Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:28 pm wrote:
Lonman: Kurt slep from soundchoice has already confirmed that their licensing agreement only contains the right to transfer their music and trademark. They have no control or ability to grant rights for the graphic/lyrics. Their OPINION is that if you transfer it to harddrive, no one will bother you.

This also happens to be their position for ripping a CDG disc to a harddrive.

However, these files are 100% legal if you use them directly from the discs they are burned to.

I know, but for to keep claiming it's not legal, this is coming from the original standpoint of the manus, now they allow a legal way to use the mp3g's in a show. No one is to say whether the original artist is going to go after a kj. The original point of Joe's complaint was that no manu would legally allow computer files, this is now changed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:50 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Lonman @ Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:33 am wrote:
JoeChartreuse @ Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:42 pm wrote:

By paying their fees?

I.

Only speculation, but how do you know they did not acquire digital rights making them legal mp3g's in the eyes of the law.

They may have- for THEIR use. THEY cannot authorize the use of downloads for a show, or make any other LEGAL provisions

A) BECAUSE THEY DON'T OWN THE MUSIC.

B) The required U.S. LAWFUL licensing has yet to have been drafted. Why? Because our requirements are much more complicated than, say, the UK- and requires the cooperation of many more individuals and agencies for each track. Everyone wants their piece of the action...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:42 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
ok that all aside .... those who been around buying the disks trying to be legit.... is the standard and some guy comes along with his 1500 sound system 300 hard drive and whatever computer he had laying around and wham claims to have over 100k songs and will beat any price. is it right.... HELL NO.... so they need to pay like all the rest of us who did. or go back to their garage and play with it and stay out of the clubs... my opinion.....!

:p

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:53 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

JoeChartreuse @ Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:50 am wrote:
Quote:

They may have- for THEIR use. THEY cannot authorize the use of downloads for a show, or make any other LEGAL provisions

A) BECAUSE THEY DON'T OWN THE MUSIC.

B) The required U.S. LAWFUL licensing has yet to have been drafted. Why? Because our requirements are much more complicated than, say, the UK- and requires the cooperation of many more individuals and agencies for each track. Everyone wants their piece of the action...

:roll: Whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:02 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
Joe they may not own the copyright to the song but they do of their licenced version. You can equate it to novels/comic books and movies. If a movie is made from a book, the production company usually does not own the copyright to the book. They negociated the right to produce the movie. When the movie is made then the production company owns the rights to the movie. Of course everyone gets a cut of things. If you make a movie and want to use the London Symphonic Orchestra's recording of Beethoven's 5th they can't use it. Even though the 5th is in the Public Domain, the orchestra's version/recording is not and therefore cannot be used without permission.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:48 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

timberlea @ Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:02 pm wrote:
Joe they may not own the copyright to the song but they do of their licenced version. You can equate it to novels/comic books and movies. If a movie is made from a book, the production company usually does not own the copyright to the book. They negociated the right to produce the movie. When the movie is made then the production company owns the rights to the movie. Of course everyone gets a cut of things. If you make a movie and want to use the London Symphonic Orchestra's recording of Beethoven's 5th they can't use it. Even though the 5th is in the Public Domain, the orchestra's version/recording is not and therefore cannot be used without permission.

At the risk of repetition ad nauseum:

The required U.S. LAWFUL licensing has yet to have been drafted. it doesn't exist, for reasons stated above.

U.S. LAW - not the mfrs. or civil courts- requires several things before running a download based show becomes legal. Those requirements have not yet been met, therefore no U.S. LEGAL licensing EXISTS.

There is nothing that a mfr., host, singer, or anyone else can say to change that.

WHEN all parties required can agree on terms, I am sure it will happen- but IT HASN'T YET.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:18 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
After you completed the audit did you receive a CERTIFICATION LETTER FROM SOUNDCHOICE? The letter would be on Soundchoice letterhead, with embossed seal and signed by Kurt Slep himself stating certification of your Soundchoice Brand collection for use on computer-based Karaoke system?

Did you receive such a letter?