KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Was accused by SC went tru audit anybody want to know the real story Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:51 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
timberlea @ Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:27 pm wrote:
Costs to defendants are rare when they prevail, whether it be Small Claims Court or Supreme Court. It is just part of the system. How many people do you know ever got reimbursed for their time for defending their case?

Agreed 100%

And lets not forget, SC agreed to drop her from the lawsuit... If she were to press the reimbursement issue legally, they would NOT drop the suit. Legally SC is 100% in charge.

It is what it is...
Agree to let SC audit your equipment
Agree to let SC see your song book
Agree to future SC audits
Agree to not take any legal action vs SC
Agree that SC can still take legal action in the future
Agree that it is a privilege to use the SC trademark

And SC will
Agree to drop you from the suit, for now.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:21 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 146 times
Manobeer @ Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:51 am wrote:
timberlea @ Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:27 pm wrote:
Costs to defendants are rare when they prevail, whether it be Small Claims Court or Supreme Court. It is just part of the system. How many people do you know ever got reimbursed for their time for defending their case?

Agreed 100%

And lets not forget, SC agreed to drop her from the lawsuit... If she were to press the reimbursement issue legally, they would NOT drop the suit. Legally SC is 100% in charge.

It is what it is...
Agree to let SC audit your equipment
Agree to let SC see your song book
Agree to future SC audits
Agree to not take any legal action vs SC
Agree that SC can still take legal action in the future
Agree that it is a privilege to use the SC trademark

And SC will
Agree to drop you from the suit, for now.

That's totally bogus. What were the grounds to put her through the stress and losing all of the time she won't get back?

If SC wants to randomly pick karaoke hosts to put through this hassle (and they are NOT the law) then they should be prepared to reimburse someone that spends THOUSANDS of $$$ on their product. Not sure how on earth you can compare this to getting a traffic ticket.

Otherwise they (SC) will get what we have seen in this thread,,,, loss of business! It only makes good business sense to treat those that complied and reimburse them for their time and trouble.. If they want to come in and bully people around, they are not doing themselves any favors!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:21 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
ripman8 @ Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:21 am wrote:

That's totally bogus. What were the grounds to put her through the stress and losing all of the time she won't get back?

If SC wants to randomly pick karaoke hosts to put through this hassle (and they are NOT the law) then they should be prepared to reimburse someone that spends THOUSANDS of $$$ on their product. Not sure how on earth you can compare this to getting a traffic ticket.

Otherwise they (SC) will get what we have seen in this thread,,,, loss of business! It only makes good business sense to treat those that complied and reimburse them for their time and trouble.. If they want to come in and bully people around, they are not doing themselves any favors!

I guess you don't read all the threads about her audit.
She was picked because she was running multiple rigs on the same night and SC thought she might be a pirate. They filed a notice of intent to sue and when she got the notice she called SC and asked for an audit to clear her name thus putting all the work she did getting her stuff together on her. She could have just ignored it and got sued and then would have had to do the same but in court costing her more monies for lawyers, court costs etc only to be proven innocent. They are really not bullying people around just wanting those they suspect to prove they are legal.

Ya know this is kinda like the new AZ law. If the police stop you for something and suspect you might be and illegal you have to prove your not.

In my honest opinion I think she did the right thing and from what I have read she has picked up new gigs that pirates have vacated.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:03 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

ripman8 @ Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:21 am wrote:

If SC wants to randomly pick karaoke hosts to put through this hassle ...

Legally speaking, they have the right continue the lawsuit... They did agree to drop it. Nobody is forced to format shift, and this company is using their legal rights to take action.

But I do agree that it is bad for business and my disc dollars will not be spent on companies that take such action against their customers even if we are evil format shifters.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:50 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
Lone Wolf @ Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:21 am wrote:
In my honest opinion I think she did the right thing and from what I have read she has picked up new gigs that pirates have vacated.

Did I miss something? Where did KJAthena say she picked up any extra gigs as a result of her (and others) being audited?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:55 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 398 times
Lonewolf must have been quoting off of the other forum that KJAthena also posts on. I also belong to that forum. She let us know on that forum that five pirates have run that weren't named in a lawsuit and that they picked up a gig as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:31 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 757 times
Thank you Danny.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:59 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 398 times
They have picked up another one so that two new gigs since Sound Choice went through Florida.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:45 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
c. staley @ Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:45 am wrote:
Wall Of Sound @ Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:17 am wrote:
Just a refresher Manobeer if you remember, just copying the trademark off a disc to computer is an infringement. If one wants to run SC content on a computer, one opens themselves up to scruitiny.

I say everyone should go back to disc for awhile if they don't want their computers looked into to get a privlege to run SCs content on a computer.

Just like driving, it's a privlege, not a right....

...... It's an "option" and it won't make or break any show. You're proof of that. Despite your own efforts and private investigator assistance, you haven't been able to unseat "Boozy the karaoke guy" who's karaoke library "went from 50,000 down to 2,000 overnight" right?

So your "privileged discs" are doing nothing other than gathering dust and it really doesn't matter if you have 50k or just 2k of songs does it?... nope. All those SC songs are not helping you one bit.

Wow! interesting info! Thanks C!

1) It supports what I've been saying all along- no single "divine brand" ( cue angelic choir.. :roll: ) makes or breaks a show. If one thinks it does, one has absolutely no confidence in one's hosting skills.

2) No denial from Wall- kinda makes for a limp sail....

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:48 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Dr Fred @ Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:37 am wrote:
After occupying your house for 3 days on a false accusation (as they later determined themselves) it would seem that they owe you something for the inconvenience.

Yes sound choice has a right to protect their trademark and products, but they also do not have the right to just accuse everyone and leave the burden of proof on the accused.

Just as a matter of fairness they should reimburse you for all the time involved (even if they were nice) they did waste a lot of your time. An appology is not sufficient in my book. Compensation in the form of either cash or disks would be the only fair recorse.

Yup. I'm thinking $6500 and their remaining disc library.......Fair is fair, right?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:01 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Sweet Dreams byEurythmics

Sweet dreams are made of this
Who am I to disagree?
Travel the world and the seven seas
Everybody's looking for something
Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you
Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:23 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

tovmod @ Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:01 am wrote:

Who am I to disagree?

ClassicKaraoke and 6 others like this

(oh wait this isn't facebook)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:46 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

classickaraoke @ Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:23 pm wrote:
tovmod @ Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:01 am wrote:

Who am I to disagree?

ClassicKaraoke and 6 others like this

(oh wait this isn't facebook)

Moonrider likes this!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:18 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Just when i thought i heard it all...Anyone remember back when being a karaoke host was actually enjoyable? People you are shooting yourselves in the foot here. And some actually think this idiotic nonsense is for our own good? Hilarious. I don't know why you just don't take those same folks that are accusing you of being a thief out for a steak dinner after your audit? {shakes his head and sighs}
Dr Fred, i agree with your views 100%, although i don't know you personally. Sounds like you have it all together to me.

Now can someone answer this simple question for me please? I am a computer based KJ, 100% legal. Let's just say i am stupid enough to play sound choice's games. I let them examine my disc. They find me legal. They apologize, we have a beer, order pizza, swap pirate jokes and call it a day. They could again at any time do the same thing to me, and the fact i presented proof positive i'm legal doesn't matter? I get acused all over again? is this for real guys? just curious??

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:06 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 160 times
I guess the powers that be "ASSUME" that once you get their seal of approval, you'll run out and buy one of those loaded hard drives; thinking that now you're safe to do so. They don't trust anyone but we're supposed to buy and use their products in GOOD FAITH. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:33 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
As I was told unless they have reason to beileve that we "crossed to the dark side" and became pirates we are ok. We are joining KIAA OOPS POOP to show we will remain legal. Yes that does give them the right to request further audits but we do not care If you are legal you have nothing to worry about.

We are currently putting togeather another system and have been buying discs for over a year to do so. When it is done we will request an audit of that system as well.
We have picked up a total of 4 regular shows since the filling and I exspect to be back up to +14 a week within the year ,from clubs looking for hosts that can PROVE they are LEGAL and our rates are inching back up. I thank SC and Kurt for this.

Will some request an audit pass and then reload pirated material YES...some people will even steal from there own grandmothers...but I CHOOSE to think most people are better than that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:10 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
kjathena @ Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:33 pm wrote:
As I was told unless they have reason to beileve that we "crossed to the dark side" and became pirates we are ok. We are joining KIAA OOPS POOP to show we will remain legal. Yes that does give them the right to request further audits but we do not care If you are legal you have nothing to worry about..

How does joining a group (POOP) show you will remain legal?
By paying their fees?

I pay for my drivers license but I still go over the speed limit occasionally.

I applaud the fact that you went through the audit with SC but I don't think you need to join a group to prove you will remain anything. By joining POOP that only means that they can audit you anytime they feel like it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:45 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 73 times
that is correct....but not many will join and agree to audits upon request and then reload a pirated drive and go....The fees will help in the fight against the pirates and to pay for audits to prove legitamcy for Legal hosts that request in advance audits. AND as a industry org...the fees are tax deductable :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:15 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Lone Wolf @ Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:10 am wrote:
As I was told unless they have reason to beileve that we "crossed to the dark side" and became pirates we are ok. We are joining KIAA OOPS POOP to show we will remain legal. Yes that does give them the right to request further audits but we do not care If you are legal you have nothing to worry about..

By paying their fees?

I.

It doesn't make anyone LEGAL, any more than passing an SC audit does. All it does is get a CLAIM from SC ( and not documented at all) that they may not hassle you again- or they might. Nothing at all to do with LEGAL anything..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:47 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
JoeChartreuse @ Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:15 pm wrote:
Lone Wolf @ Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:10 am wrote:

By paying their fees?

I.

It doesn't make anyone LEGAL, any more than passing an SC audit does. All it does is get a CLAIM from SC ( and not documented at all) that they may not hassle you again- or they might. Nothing at all to do with LEGAL anything..
Unless you buy all your downloads from Sound Choice in the mp3g format making them LEGAL for your show, but even they admit if you have the disc it's now ok on a 1:1 ratio provided you actually have the disc for each & any system you run.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next