KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Interacting and mingling: What's the secret? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:26 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I hear about (and see for myself) many karaoke hosts that say going into the crowd and chatting up customers really works for them and gives the room a good vibe. This is an area I have no skill in. Now, I've had many people tell me I'm a great karaoke host. I've had people come from Cape Cod to my small town in southern NH because they prefer my show to the ones down there. They like my sound, my voice, my selection and I'm very friendly... when people approach me.

For me, I feel if I were to walk into the crowd and sit down with some patrons at their table and start chatting with them, I'd be intruding on their night out. They often look like they're involved in their own conversations, and I'll admit, when I'm out with friends, I don't always enjoy a stranger coming over and interrupting my conversations, even if they are the host of the show. But I still see and hear about this happening.

How do you obtain this skill? What are the dos and donts of approaching patrons and "chatting them up?" How do you break the ice and go about it so people will feel more at ease, rather than intruded on? Don't get me wrong, I've never people become upset because I DON'T do this. I usually stay at my station, work the equipment, and watch the performance going on. If someone approaches with a question or request, I give them a smile and I'm very friendly, but I know if I had this skill that some hosts have, it would make my show all the better.

I just want to be the best I can be, and if people really like a host that mingles with the crowd, let me hear some of the secrets from the hosts who are successful at this approach (literally).

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:44 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 31 times
I never really "sit down" at a table when I'm hosting. Who has the time? But I will walk out and talk to people. Shake hands with the guys and hug the gals.

Being cordial and warm is a skill that can be learned, here are some tips:

- be genuine. If you really are happy that everyone is there, you will come off much better, then if you're "trying to put on a face."

- SMILE! Look a person in the eye and smile... they will smile back. How cool is that? You just put a smile on someone's face.

- Shake hands. With men I do the single standard handshake, or a "soul shake" depending on their body language. With women its a gentle handshake only touching the fingers. I will sometimes clasp her hand with both of mine. Combine with a warm smile, and a head nod "yes". This body language shows how open and approachable you are, not only to the person you're talking to, but to those around you.

- Be confident. You're the host, the floor is yours, let your body language reflect that. Walk with your head up, but don't "strut".... that's arrogant... and you don't want that.

- Be approachable. If someone comes up to you, smile! As they are talking, usually asking question about a song you might have, gently nod your head yes. This is subtly saying "please give me more information."

I was in sales for 20 years and these techniques do work. It amazes me how people's body language is like a ticker tape of their inner thoughts scrolling across their forehead. Read theirs, and control yours and an incredible world will open up to you!

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:11 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

I have also been in sales for years and for me it is a natural thing to approach people and engage them in conversation, no matter how brief. For many people it is being "approachable" that makes them comfortable. Looking people in the eye as you approach them, extend your hand, and introduce yourself. "I haven't seen you here before..." or "I've seen you here before and I never introduced myself...." and then begin a benign conversation. Discuss what songs they sing, or if they haven't sung, "Can I help you find a song to sing?"

I agree with your issue about not interrupting a conversation at a table - be an opportunist, watch when part of the group leaves the table and someone may be sitting by themself....or if someone hesitates in front of the stage for a split second, take that as an opportunity to approach them. They may have questions but don't want to "bother you" Follow up with that person, explain that you didn't have time then to answer any questions but you do now....

Like singing, sales is 90% confidence and 10% skill...just have to practice.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:03 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
The best shows I have seen have been a husband wife team where they would swap taking requests and mingling with the crowd. That way the sound can be adjusted when necessary and oral requests are more natural and friendlier. Most singers like to feel they are a part of the show and even want to help carry in and setup. Even though it is sometimes a pain it is good to accept their services for they mingle with newbies and the crowd. I also sometimes introduce strangers to the regs. Large tables are actually better than small ones because people tend to mingle and party together. One of the reasons we run FOH is because we are in and part of the crowd and accessible. One secret is mingle and talk to to the listeners too for they are the ones making the Ca-Chings. This is a very important part of hosting but the most important part is listening to what folks want whether they are singers or just partyiers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:06 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
I do the same as Koyote sometimes. I will sit a table for a couple if I see 1 or the other out for a 'break' or up getting another drink if it's a couple or people i've never seen before. Just to introduce myself, find out where they heard about us from, where they normally go, etc.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:22 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
to me, it starts at the kj area. Being a good host is accepting the karaoke slips or requests with a handshake, a kind word of welcome and a promise to stop by their table during the night to introduce myself when I have more time to talk to them.

It only takes a few seconds to get the next song queued up once I have the sound the way I like it for the current singer. I find out if anybody's changing songs in rotation... and then I begin the mingling.

I start out by scanning the room. You can tell when someone wants something, a question or just a hug hello. So when I swing by the bar to pick up my diet cola, then I start with those folks, check the current song's progress, and slowly make my way around. I can usually meet a few people per song.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:06 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

Wow I've never really thought about it before I just do it. LMAO Babbling Babs

I usually approach new people if I see them looking through a book by just asking if they have a slip they'd like to turn in. Then say something like is this your first time here? and explain how things work. If they are real friendly I'll ask where else they've been for karaoke and what brought them here tonight.

Return customers I'll say hello and it's great to see them again. I usually remember names thats always a welcoming feeling to them. It doesn't have to be a long converstion, just recognition.

If I see a group in front of the stage clapping along I'll stand next to them and join in or even dance with them.

If you get a cold feeling from people if you approach them with a hello you move on. I don't really have people that don't start chatting with me though once I go over to say hello. If you feel like you have interrupted a conversation you just politely say your sorry you didn't mean to interupt. Most people are happy you took the time to come over and make sure they are taken care of. That is just good service. :D

Start with hello and you'll be surprised how little you have to talk.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:31 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
If you are running solo, I've noticed the singers sometimes get a stricken look when the KJ leaves the booth--sort of like, "I'M your smoking break?" or "What if something goes wrong?" So it can be hard to mingle during songs and the best thing is to be very welcoming when people are on stage.--maybe even make a bit of conversation during the musical break but not so much that they miss their cue or key when they come back in. I know of one host who just calls out personal welcomes between songs as he sees people come in.

I accompany my boyfriend when he runs our shows so I am free to help people find songs, answer questions, etc. We keep the singer's slips in envelopes so I keep an eye out for anyone who comes in and greet them with their envelope and that is an excuse to make some conversation. Otherwise some people do act like you are an intrusion if you just go up to them. Especially if there are slot machines and you interrupt them being in sync with willing the machine to pay them.

If I see people sitting alone I will sit with them a bit and I have asked non-singers if they have any songs they would like to hear. But sometimes people just don't want attention called to themselves. I used to have my boyfriend sing the favorite song of a couple who came in only to dance and they quit coming in and I have always wondered if I made them feel too self conscious by giving them special attention.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:04 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
All of the above, and add on some time to get a read on the people you will approach- body language, facial expression, etc... If they are "drawn in" or shifting away as you approach, leave them be for the time being. Never force yourself on anyone.

Keep YOUR body language open and approachable, always a warm (not glaring or phony) smile. Stay relaxed...

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:16 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I try to greet people mostly before my show actually starts. I call it "making my rounds". I just walk through the bar and speak to people that I haven't seen before, encouraging them to take a look through the books and pick a song. I may hug people I've met before and feel comfortable enough with. I may ask new people where they're from and explain a little bit about how we do things. It's just important to make eye contact with people and smile. Gestures that are welcoming. I also help people find the kind of book they want,; my books are by title or artist, and they usually have a preference. I seldom have time to "make rounds" after the show starts, because I am so busy, but I try to speak to anyone who approache s my table with a smile and maybe a comment about their song. "Oh, I love that song!", you know, something that may ease their nerves (if they are nervous).

Making some meaningful contact with people at your show will make them feel more at home, and in my case, has made a regular out of many of our customers. Anytime someone feels at home in a certain bar, they will choose to party there versus a strange place. Just practice a little at it, and you'll be a pro before you know!! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:50 am 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Karen K @ 16th July 2009, 11:11 wrote:
I have also been in sales for years and for me it is a natural thing to approach people and engage them in conversation, no matter how brief. For many people it is being "approachable" that makes them comfortable. Looking people in the eye as you approach them, extend your hand, and introduce yourself. "I haven't seen you here before..." or "I've seen you here before and I never introduced myself...." and then begin a benign conversation. Discuss what songs they sing, or if they haven't sung, "Can I help you find a song to sing?"

Karen, very good advice. This was my biggest issue is what to say when I approach people. I'll try this at my next show.

Everyone's suggestions are great. This has helped. I guess I just never knew what to say, but asking where are you from, have you been here, what made you choose this place, etc. All good stuff! If anyone else has any more advice, I'd love to hear it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:01 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

"Hey baby, what's your sign?" LOL I'm sure you'll do great. Just takes some "fakin' it until you're makin' it"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:09 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

You can't learn or teach "personality" . You already have the secret --your're friendly and a fair Host and people like your show....WHAT MORE ARE YOU LOOKING TO DO???? It seems you have a winning recipe ..Don't look to change it!!

Now I've seem some Dj/KJ that get in your face and your business and CAN BE a real pain in the azz..... I like to keep business as business and not get too PERSONAL with MOST of the customers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:45 am 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

I don't always have time to mingle. Some nights I'm lucky to get to the bathroom. So I mingle as much as I can on nights it's not so busy.

It's surprising what people will say on a music break or before they sing. I've had people tell me the most personal things. It doesn't seem to matter if they are regulars or are coming in for the first time. Things like: My mom died yesterday, I got divorced today, I'm being shipped off to Iraq tomorrow etc.. It's almost like being a bartender exept I have 5 seconds to respond.

I definitely have learned a different kind of skill working with people. It's funny I rarely ever talk about my personal life with people in the bar, but I know so much about them. A lot of it is just talking to them when they come up on stage.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:10 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 126 times
Of the many things we promise a prospective client one of the main closing tools is that we guarantee 2 kj's per show. Most club/bar owners know how karaoke is run and catch on easily to our pitch about it. They like the fact that someone will always be at the booth and out in the audience. It really gives us a chance as kj's to get to know our crowd better. Our audience participation is great and someone's always there to answer questions,etc. We are also more approachable when out in the audience. People are more likely to ask questions and make comments to a kj sitting with them or out in the audience than a kj up at the boards balancing sound or putting in the nest request.
I know this 2 person system is not an option for most but I felt it a necessity for our business to succeed. I've been to many a karaoke show where the kj was in the weeds and couldnt even look up to acknowledge i was standing there. I've also witnessed people go back to their seats after waiting for the kj to return from either smoking, bathroom breaks, phone calls, etc. To me that's unacceptable.

Back on point.... I agree with most just be yourself. There's no set way of doing things. It comes from your head to the people in front of you. Rehearsing practiced lines will do you nothing. A canned question or two will sound off as well. Go with what brought you.... YOU!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:31 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 146 times
Lots of good stuff. Sometimes I have a helper, sometimes I don't. When I do, I spend much more time in the room. When I don't, I don't spend as much. Depends on how long the song is really, if I have the sound where I want it and there is 2 or 3 minutes left, I will often leave my booth. I keep my gatorade in the cooler just behind me in the green room so that isn't an issue, there is a bathroom just behind me too that I will time with the songs. Also I have a monitor facing the audience and since I run compuhost, it tells me exactly when there is one minute left in the song and also 30 seconds.
Never seen an issue of a singer with a lost look on their face. I make sure they are comfortable with the mic, lyrics and sound before I walk away.

I try to say hello to everyone in the room. As brought up in other posts, if they don't look like they want to be talked to, I don't talk to them. If I see someone browsing a book that hasn't been to my show yet, I introduce myself and let them know that if they need help to let me know.

It's not hard, just be sincere and learn to judge people by their body language.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:57 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

When I do my cruise night DJ show, I will sometime in the middle of the show get up from my throne behind the amp/mixer and have a walk-about. I will say hello to all the patrons, thank them for coming and thank them for bringing their nice car, street rod, motorcycle. I am extra cognizant of new people and will talk them up a bit, find out where they are from and how they heard of us. I also give them my business card and maybe a Dairy Queen freebie if I have them. However you choose to interact with the people, be genuine. If they don't come and then return, you are out of a job. If you are the sort of KJ/DJ who is busy tending to the dials and switches, you can still be friendly when approached with questions and requests. Just make eye contact and smile and look attentive, not disinterested.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:41 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 43 times
I always greet everyone, usually when they turn in their first slip, sometimes I'll try to visit with them before the show starts. I don't have much time during the show, but I try to be friendly with everyone, even cracking jokes or friendly insults over the mic.

Sometimes, when I'm breaking the KJ's 11th Commandment by putting myself in for a song, I'll call up a regular (male or female) to duet with me. (It's like they get an extra turn and they like the attention, plus sometimes they learn a new song. I just make sure I vary my duet partners every time.)

When the show's over, I personally thank each singer who's still there.