KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Lexicon? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Lexicon?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:51 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Has anyone had any experience with the Lexicon alpha usb audio interface with cubase le recording software? Im not real concerned with the recording software I just want to go from laptop to mixer with my music. Im using headphone out right now and Im thinking the quality can be improved on...

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

Post subject: Re: Lexicon?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:18 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
That's what I use, killer little interface - highly recommend! Definitely will improve the sound quality especially as it also uses pro 'balanced' 1/4" outputs to connect to the mixer. If the mixer 1/4" inputs are not balanced, you will just get a balanced 1/4" plug to an XLR plug for the mixer side.
I don't use the recording feature on it so much either, but the Cubase & Lexicon reverb plugins that come with it are also very good - especially for some home based recordings.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:29 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Lonman @ Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:18 pm wrote:
That's what I use, killer little interface - highly recommend! Definitely will improve the sound quality especially as it also uses pro 'balanced' 1/4" outputs to connect to the mixer. If the mixer 1/4" inputs are not balanced, you will just get a balanced 1/4" plug to an XLR plug for the mixer side.
I don't use the recording feature on it so much either, but the Cubase & Lexicon reverb plugins that come with it are also very good - especially for some home based recordings.
I have a Yamaha EMX 5016 CF. What would be my best hook up configuration,I will be ordering the lex. tonight....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:09 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

The stereo inputs on that board are not balanced, so I would actually use two separate channels via the XLR plugs - although channels 1-8 the 1/4" inputs are balanced connections). You can use the unbalanced connections (the stereo 1/4" plugs), they are just susceptible to more noise interference. Give the unbalanced connection a try first, then if you get some noise interference, move to the balanced connection. It is nicer using one fader for 1 stereo input rather than 2 individual faders.
Cable like this would be needed for the unbalanced.
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=330485

2 cables like this would be needed for the balanced.
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=336971

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:43 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Lonman @ Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:09 pm wrote:
The stereo inputs on that board are not balanced, so I would actually use two separate channels via the XLR plugs - although channels 1-8 the 1/4" inputs are balanced connections). You can use the unbalanced connections (the stereo 1/4" plugs), they are just susceptible to more noise interference. Give the unbalanced connection a try first, then if you get some noise interference, move to the balanced connection. It is nicer using one fader for 1 stereo input rather than 2 individual faders.

I ordered the Lex., I will try the unbalanced connection first but I still have 2 questions regarding that.The cable is red and gray does it matter where they are plugged in @ the mixer like red on top or red on bottom? Second question, I have that cable with 1/4" plugs on one end and rca plugs on the other could that cable be used? Thanks so much for all the advice you have provided me with...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:29 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

gator @ Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:43 pm wrote:

I ordered the Lex., I will try the unbalanced connection first but I still have 2 questions regarding that.The cable is red and gray does it matter where they are plugged in @ the mixer like red on top or red on bottom? Second question, I have that cable with 1/4" plugs on one end and rca plugs on the other could that cable be used? Thanks so much for all the advice you have provided me with...

It really doesn't matter which color goes where, but typically you want the right channel of the Alpha going to the right input on the stereo input on the mixer & ame with the left. Red is typically the right side, but doesn't matter.
Yes you can use the RCA plugs as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 53 times
I use the Lexicon Alpha, too and am very happy with it. Bought it back in the day through recommendation from Lonman. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:47 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Sevarin @ Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:23 am wrote:
I use the Lexicon Alpha, too and am very happy with it. Bought it back in the day through recommendation from Lonman. :)
I`m wiating on delivery now...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

I will try the unbalanced connection first but the 1/4" cable you referred to has 2 plugs. do I use one of the channels 1-8 or do I use one of the channels 9-16 for this configuration? If I use 1-8 the top 1/4" plug is {INPUT} and the bottom 1/4" plug is {INSERT} would I not use one of them and use two of the 1/4" inserts that say line on them on channels 9/10 11/12 13/14 15/16? Thanks for any help the lexicon should be here tomarro.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:48 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

gator @ Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:07 pm wrote:

I will try the unbalanced connection first but the 1/4" cable you referred to has 2 plugs. do I use one of the channels 1-8 or do I use one of the channels 9-16 for this configuration? If I use 1-8 the top 1/4" plug is {INPUT} and the bottom 1/4" plug is {INSERT} would I not use one of them and use two of the 1/4" inserts that say line on them on channels 9/10 11/12 13/14 15/16? Thanks for any help the lexicon should be here tomarro.

Sure it has 2 plugs. One for the left channel & one for the right channel. If you plug into channels 1-8 you will need to use 2 separate channels - input, not the inserts - this will not work. Using the 9/10 etc, uses one fader for both channels instead of needing to adjust 2 faders.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:51 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Lonman @ Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:48 pm wrote:

Sure it has 2 plugs. One for the left channel & one for the right channel. If you plug into channels 1-8 you will need to use 2 separate channels - input, not the inserts - this will not work. Using the 9/10 etc, uses one fader for both channels instead of needing to adjust 2 faders.
Thanks again..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:25 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 146 times

Ok, you've talked me into it. What cables would I need for my yamaha mg124cx?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:28 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

ripman8 @ Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:25 pm wrote:

Ok, you've talked me into it. What cables would I need for my yamaha mg124cx?

A double TS 1/4"-1/4" cord is all you will need (since the Yamaha 1/4 inputs are unbalanced) to go from the Alpha to the Yamaha.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:01 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Thanks Lonnie!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:06 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Can you find a picture of this? Not getting any help from Radio Shack. They are they only audio source in town.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:13 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

ripman8 @ Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:06 am wrote:
Can you find a picture of this? Not getting any help from Radio Shack. They are they only audio source in town.

Picture of the cord - just ask them for a dual 1/4"-1/4", if they don't have a dual, you need to single cords.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSCPP20

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:39 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Lonman @ Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:13 am wrote:
ripman8 @ Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:06 am wrote:

Picture of the cord - just ask them for a dual 1/4"-1/4", if they don't have a dual, you need to single cords.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--HOSCPP20
Used the new Lexicon last weekend and was glad of the purchase. Hooked up the unbalanced way and it sounds fine no background noise at all...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:02 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Hooked mine up this morning, I'm no audiophile by any means although I used to spend a great deal of money on stereo equipment. Background noise is definately a little quieter when nothing is playing. As far as overall sound quality vs using the internal soundcard I think I can tell a difference. Still waiting for my cable so I can begin practicing recording.