KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - yamaha emx 5016cf powered mixer Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:48 pm 

Been Liked: 0 time
I'm sure someone out there has one and I would love to hear all the feedback you can give me. I'm interested in putting together a system with the emx5016 being the heart of it. The sytem must run double duty for playing wedding gigs and karaoke gigs at local bars. I like the features it has to offer, but I need to hear back from someone who has had experience with this particular piece of equipment. I want to know how well the auto eq and the feedback suppresor work. Is it junk or does it actually get the job done? (bearing in mind of course that you must also consider speaker/mic placement, gain settings, etc... I am considering the Mackie passive speakers (c300z) and maybe one of the new JBL EON subs. I like the portability and sound of the mackies. The tech dept at Mackie says the 325 watts @ 8 ohms put out by the Yamaha emx 5016 is a perfect match for these speakers. I know Yamaha advertises 500 watts per channel, but I called Yamaha and they said that is a 4 ohm rating and the correct 8 ohm output is indeed 325 watts. I will need to run a powered sub and I am leaning towards the JBL EON 18" powered sub that just came out not too long back. I heard this sub at a Sam Ash music store and I really liked its punchy, deep, powerful sound. It looks cool and is light weight as well. I guess I'm getting long winded here in my description of the sytem I am currently looking into. I just wanted to give you enough info as to where I'm trying to go with this. So again, any info or feedback about the yamaha emx5016 from someone who has one and has had a chance to put it through its paces would be most appreciated. Thanks! P.S. you can e mail direct with responses if you would like to jtiki3174@gmail.com

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:59 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I have had this mixer for 2 weeks and used both iside and outside. I`m pleased with it so far although it is rather large. All I run out of it for speakers are 2 Peavey PR15`s but have 2 Yamaha club speakers on the way 15`s also and Im sure that the mixer will push them also,not meaning all 4 of them but just the 2 yamaha`s. Answer in a word Satisfied thus far...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:24 pm 
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
Hi JT

The 5016 is a great mixer. Can be a little large to lug around, but light.

I would think about whether you really need 16 channels. I think they make a 12 or 14 channel version which is slightly smaller.

There is also the option of the EMX512SC, which is more a box design than a flat mixer, and weighs less than 10 kilos.

To me the feedback suppressor is a gimmick. The compressor isnt great, but does what I need it to do.

Speakers: I would really suggest you atleast have a listen to the EVs. The ZX series in my opinion is just amazing for sound. I haven't compared them side by side to the Mackies. EV also makes the SB subs which again are kicking.

I have been lugging my gear around every friday and saturday for the last 2 years- if you plan on working regularly over an extended period I would suggest you really think about how easy your gear is to handle. Spend a bit more money to buy light and good gear, your back will love you for it.

I hope this helps.

Vic in Sydney