KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - First Report - Shure PG288 (Dual Receiver; PG2/PG58 Transmitters) Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

premium-member

Offsite Links

It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:30 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
I'm hoping someone might find this helpful if they're in the market for new microphones. I recently purchased a pair of the PG288 Dual Microphone kits from Shure to replace my VocoPro UHF 5800 Karaoke microphones. I had to replace the Vocopros as a result of the impending DTV switch after which wireless mics can no longer occupy the 700MHz band. Last night was my first gig with the new mics so I thought I'd share my experience and thoughts.

I'll start with taking them out of the box. Along with the 2 mic kits, I also purchased the rackmount shelf kits and the multi-colord identification rings both from Shure as well. The rack mount kits were great. They come with the shelves and the necessary screws to mount the receivers to the shelf. Took about 10-15 minutes to get both receivers mounted in the rack and ready to roll. They look really nice mounted right underneath my two SLX receivers.

Next I setup the mics themselves.I used the frequency finder on Shure's website to pick the best frequency settings for my area and set those on each microphone. Very easy to do, there's no sync function like on the SLX (and PGX and ULX for that matter) but it was a pretty easy process just the same. I also at this point installed the color rings on each mic. They just fit right on over the open end of the battery cover.

So first gig with the mics went very well. I did find out that the rings make it a little harder to get the mics in and out of the mic clips (I'm using the on-stage rubber wireless clips as opposed to the plastic ones included with the microphones). From a sound perspective they were terrific. Definitely an improvement over the Vocopros. Great mid-high and high end presence plus a nice proximity effect that keeps the vocals warmer. My channel EQ's for the mics ended up looking just like my Beta 58's channel; 80Hz heavily cut, just a shade out on the sweepable mid set at about 250Hz and then flat for the high end. These things sound as good as an SM58. My singers also noticed the improvement although one did complain that she didn't like it because she didn't sound like herself. All I could think was, "well actually for the first time you actually do sound like yourself".

The background rejection on the PG58's is also every bit as good as that of a typical SM58. This made getting the monitor EQ'ed pretty easy. I started with the EQ flat and had to take some out at 250Hz, 630Hz and 6KHz. That's it. I was able to walk on stage and with the mics and monitor at operating levels hold the mic about 4 inches from the monitor with no feedback at all.

The one are where I could hear the difference between an SM58 (or my Beta 58 as well) was in handling noise. The PG58 is defintely not as well isolated as the SM series. So with the mics running a little hot for quieter singers there was a definite audible amount of handling noise when singers put the mics back in the clips. However, during the performace, moving from hand to hand or changing position didn't seem to create any noticeable noise, so it worked out pretty well. You can feel it when you pick one of these up that they aren't as nice as the SLX series that I have. The plastic feels a little cheaper and they're definitely lighter, but all in all still have a quality feel to them.

One area that I was particularly concerned with going into this gig was their operating range. The PG2 receivers do not have external antenna, instead they use a pair of internal diversity antennas. With the receivers mounted in the rack, I was a little concerned about how they might perform. Well they did great. The bar is about 100 feet long from front door to the stage in the back and was packed with probably 60-70 people. One of my early singers decided to test the range and walked the full length of the bar. Not a bit of intermod or multi-path interference, no dropouts at all, just a solid performance the entire time. I was really impressed.

So far I'm very happy with my purchase. I got the 2 kits as Manufacturer Open Box items from American Musical for $478 each. This makes them more than twice as expensive as the UHF-5800's I had, but to me they're worth every penny.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:07 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
Currently I am bidding on another Shure wireless on ebay. My other one is the UT4 receiver and SM58. I absolutely love it. With the receiver gain it;s like having a powered 58. With the gain all the way up you get feedback anywhere in the room.
Also like a condenser mic it picks up room reverbs at high gain.

The owner gets a kick out of leaving the room and singing in the bar area.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:12 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Good Post! Letitrip. I enjoy reading posts about the worthiness or (lack of worthiness) of the equipment that we use from a real use perspective for it is a good way to help avoid Buyers Remorse which I'm sure we can all attest to a one time or another! :handshake:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:57 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
Plus if that mic gets dropped/broke, Shure will fix it for $70. Not like needing to shell out a ton for a whole new set.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:56 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
I am also real happy with the Shure wireless (a pair of which I bought from a member here recently). I have three PGX2 SM58, and one lavalier/headset PGX1.

The thing which is always apparent with a good mic is how they are sensitive enough to be able to control dynamics by moving the mic in and out. With a poor mic, if you move the mic around you are liable to hear your voice drop out. With a good mic, it is much more linear and reliable.

For the very few extra bucks, I like the SM58 head for less handling noise. When the volume goes up at a packed show, it is nice.