KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Computer Based Host? Better Read This.... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:12 am 
I have followed the lead of many on this forum and have downloaded tracks from the internet, from time to time.

From the first time I did that I was dubious about the legalities. So... I make copies of what's on my computer screen and print that out. I also cross-reference that print-out with my credit card receipt. I also keep each day's downloads in a separate folder.

Frankly, I don't ever expect that the contents of my computer will be challenged, but if it is, I am highly skeptical about the legitimacy of those downloads!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:50 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 1 time
JoeChartreuse @ Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:09 pm wrote:
Absolutely true, Knight, yet WHEN the licensing may have been changed makes no difference in this case. Suppose You bought a licensed disc only to the change or pull happen later. There is still no notification sent out like a recall to Karaoke Hosts OR their suppliers.

STILL no way of knowing what's licensed or not. Even if there were, no mfr. is offering rebates for such discs.

As Lon and I said, if one owns an original mfrs. disc, at this time tho onus is on the venue and mfr.

I HAVE SC8438 AND SC8125, and will continue to use them. No reason not to.
if a disc is pulled, that doesn't mean SQUAT to those of us that have the legal disc. It was legal at the time they made it, or at least, the benefit of the doubt is on the purchaser side of things. As I pointed out before, it is not up to us to decide what's legal or not (not including the homemade tracks, those obviously aren't legal)... the manufacturer is under no obligation to notify people they're discontinued. No other manufacturer of anything normally does that. If it's discontinued, it IS, and now you have a rare disc on your hands.

Doesn't mean you're breaking the law. Copyright or otherwise.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:54 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
Everybody in this area has a hard drive with 50k songs. Their system sucks. I blatantly tell everybody I have sacrificed on SOC SEC and have paid hard earned money for my library of 13k. Been accused of bragging here LOL but read my posts in the book thread. I may have a few illegal downloads but guess what KMA!!! Hang the corps not us poor working people.

I have and will continue to compete with and take any show I want from the bottom feeders. The mania displayed here and notions that busts are going to stop piracy is ludicrous. We supply the best selection karaoke or dance and one of the better systems. Everybody knows it and does not dispute it either. I have 13,000 of the best selection of karaoke and 10,000 of the top hits all genres for every decade for dancing.

Call it bragging or pride I am still proud of my selection. I was ripping when nobody knew how and had to type every name in with 2 fingers. It keeps me off the streets.ROFL

BTW I have enough trouble with car insurance and trying to stay legal with everything else. I am at the age where I can make as much as I want and not pay taxes. If you are worried about my scant supply of illegal downloads you know where my gigs are Come get me!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:11 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 146 times
Wow, ok then?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:00 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
knightshow @ Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:50 am wrote:
JoeChartreuse @ Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:09 pm wrote:
Absolutely true, Knight, yet WHEN the licensing may have been changed makes no difference in this case. Suppose You bought a licensed disc only to the change or pull happen later. There is still no notification sent out like a recall to Karaoke Hosts OR their suppliers.

STILL no way of knowing what's licensed or not. Even if there were, no mfr. is offering rebates for such discs.

As Lon and I said, if one owns an original mfrs. disc, at this time tho onus is on the venue and mfr.

I HAVE SC8438 AND SC8125, and will continue to use them. No reason not to.
if a disc is pulled, that doesn't mean SQUAT to those of us that have the legal disc. It was legal at the time they made it, or at least, the benefit of the doubt is on the purchaser side of things. As I pointed out before, it is not up to us to decide what's legal or not (not including the homemade tracks, those obviously aren't legal)... the manufacturer is under no obligation to notify people they're discontinued. No other manufacturer of anything normally does that. If it's discontinued, it IS, and now you have a rare disc on your hands.

Doesn't mean you're breaking the law. Copyright or otherwise.

We have no argument, Knight. If a disc is legally purchased, it's legally used. This is why the mfrs. don't bother with recalls.

BTW- SURPRISINGLY, I don't think that particular disc (8125) is much better than the Backstage/Ovation BS9017 Eagles disc. Go figure...... The few track on SuperCore/KJ Tools, and Medacy are way better, just not many of them....

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:55 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
JoeChartreuse @ Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:00 pm wrote:
BTW- SURPRISINGLY, I don't think that particular disc (8125) is much better than the Backstage/Ovation BS9017 Eagles disc.

YOU'RE KIDDING? Wow, guess we all really do hear different things. The BS disc except for a couple of songs being the exception, Get Over It & Seven Bridges Road aren't bad, I would classify that disc in one of the worst sounding catagories, only reason I bought it in the first place was for the Get Over It. It was also one of the only Eagles discs available at one time so many got used to it I think. Until Legends came out with some tracks & then Zoom pretty much sewed it up that 8125 wasn't even worth trying to hunt for anymore. I think it still has a couple songs not available on others - not sure though.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:48 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

SC's versions of the Eagles tracks are in my opinion just better than the Backstage one. The BS one ain't bad, just, it AIN'T SC! LOL!

To me there IS no contest, and it's why I eventually bought the disc, despite having the zoom ones, legends ones and yes, the backstage one!

The Billy Joel BS one... now that one ain't half bad! In fact, I prefer their version of "The Longest Time" to SC's!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:25 pm 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 294 times
Don't some of the BS Eagles have flute on them? I think we used to have it and that was the only objection with some. Having come on the scene too late to get SC Eagles, we got Zoom and people are happy with it, singing off it weekly. Filled in with Legends and people are happy with that, too.

It bothers me to have weird orchestration on songs but as far as the clientele, they seem to get more upset about "too fast" or "too slow" than anything else.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:46 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 610 times
karyoker @ Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:54 am wrote:
Everybody in this area has a hard drive with 50k songs. Their system sucks. I blatantly tell everybody I have sacrificed on SOC SEC and have paid hard earned money for my library of 13k.

There is a KJ in my area that brags about having 60,000 songs...all obviously pirated. Her books literally look like large telephone books. Once you start looking however, you realize that she has nine or more versions of every song and a LOT of crap!

More is not always better!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:07 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
It is no longer a selling point. BTW a KJ told me he has legal on internal HDD and illegal on external. Any sign of trouble he would pull the external.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:43 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Lonman @ Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:55 pm wrote:
JoeChartreuse @ Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:00 pm wrote:
BTW- SURPRISINGLY, I don't think that particular disc (8125) is much better than the Backstage/Ovation BS9017 Eagles disc.

YOU'RE KIDDING? Wow, guess we all really do hear different things. The BS disc except for a couple of songs being the exception, Get Over It & Seven Bridges Road aren't bad, I would classify that disc in one of the worst sounding catagories, only reason I bought it in the first place was for the Get Over It. It was also one of the only Eagles discs available at one time so many got used to it I think. Until Legends came out with some tracks & then Zoom pretty much sewed it up that 8125 wasn't even worth trying to hunt for anymore. I think it still has a couple songs not available on others - not sure though.

Nope, not kidding. I do agree that Zoom is the definitive, but prior to that NONE were all that great. Yes, backstage was pretty bad, but SC was only marginally better. Prior to Zoom, Medacy ( Karaoke Party), a "department store" style disc, probably had the best "Hotel California" ( though I never really liked the song), and SuperCore/KJ Tools the best "Desperado". The others were best on SC, but again, only marginally.

However, please keep in mind that when I say best, I ALWAYS mean most popular with my singers. If I were talking about personal taste, I would say that I prefer Linda Ronstadt's version of Desperado to the Eagles. :wink:
Zoom's the way to go.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:54 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Someone sang Take It Easy off my Backstage disc last night. I dunno - I thought it was pretty good actually. I thought the harmony work was great. If the SC version is substantially better than that it must really be something.

Here at home I noticed a instrumental vocal guide but I don't hear it in the club.

I use Seven Bridges Road off that disc too and once again I think the harmony work is excellent. There's a bad version of Hotel California on it though, which is far and away the most sung Eagles song in my rooms. I use SPC for that one. Sorry - I'm just not into paying a small fortune for some discontinued SC Eagles disc.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:04 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 46 times
Funny, I prefer the Linda Ronstadt version as well. I sing it every now and again and I personally think she did a better job of it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:36 am 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Bill H. @ Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:54 am wrote:
Someone sang Take It Easy off my Backstage disc last night. I dunno - I thought it was pretty good actually. I thought the harmony work was great. If the SC version is substantially better than that it must really be something.

Here at home I noticed a instrumental vocal guide but I don't hear it in the club.

I use Seven Bridges Road off that disc too and once again I think the harmony work is excellent. There's a bad version of Hotel California on it though, which is far and away the most sung Eagles song in my rooms. I use SPC for that one. Sorry - I'm just not into paying a small fortune for some discontinued SC Eagles disc.

While it is much better than 'marginally' better than the Backstage, it isn't worth the fortune anymore since the other manus now have some of the stuff. Luckily I got a copy that was unopened a few years back by a good friend as a gift.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:10 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

you guys are gonna LOVE this...

Ebay link to current auction

A buddy of mine looked into it, for something caught his eye...

"In order to accomplish this task, we use three key ingredients: a) the latest technology to play music, b) the latest and greatest collection of karaoke songs, and c) a networking system that keeps you in the loop on music updates and advertising in your local market."

he asked about getting original discs... and this was this fool's reply:

"We can't provide the original disks. As the franchise owner, we purchase the disks in bulk for each system and hold them. The purpose for me holding the disks is to provide folks an affordable means to be able to get into the DJ business that don't have the $30K+ to start up. We oversee training, equipment, operations, and sales so the prospective DJs can focus on building clientele. Currently, I'm working on getting a picture of the 800+ disks so potential franchisees can see that I do own the originals and this isn't a copyright issue."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:19 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

it gets even better!

Q: how much karaoke music comes with this? Mar-31-09
A: We currently list about 12K songs in our book. However, there are about 22K on the system. This is due to duplicates we've collected and tracks with vocals. The books only contain one version of each song and we don't advertise vocal tracks. This ensures the books are clutter-free, organized, and cuts down on bulky sizes.

Q: do the karaoke songs sound like the orginal bands?I am interested in setting it up in a bar Mar-13-09
A: , Yes, the songs sound like many of the original songs, without the artists of course. Now there are several karaoke production companies that produce these songs. We invest in the best sounding ones that are consistent with releasing today's radio hits. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. Patrick McMunn Owner (866) 458-1484 patrick.mcmunn @ endless-karaoke.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:31 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 31 times
knightshow @ Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:10 pm wrote:
you guys are gonna LOVE this...

Ebay link to current auction

A buddy of mine looked into it, for something caught his eye...

"In order to accomplish this task, we use three key ingredients: a) the latest technology to play music, b) the latest and greatest collection of karaoke songs, and c) a networking system that keeps you in the loop on music updates and advertising in your local market."

he asked about getting original discs... and this was this fool's reply:

"We can't provide the original disks. As the franchise owner, we purchase the disks in bulk for each system and hold them. The purpose for me holding the disks is to provide folks an affordable means to be able to get into the DJ business that don't have the $30K+ to start up. We oversee training, equipment, operations, and sales so the prospective DJs can focus on building clientele. Currently, I'm working on getting a picture of the 800+ disks so potential franchisees can see that I do own the originals and this isn't a copyright issue."

My favorit part is where he says they are using the "latest technology to play music" and then under the equipment he list GEMINI and VOCOPRO components!!

The POWERED speakers are $139ea, and the mixer is $500... are you kidding me? My yamaha mixer was $399 and has 16 channels, digital compression and effects.

I don't know what model the microphones are but I'm not impressed... they're Gemini after all. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:10 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 309 times
The sad thing is they'll find some suckers. Who wants to bet that if they even have the original discs they have one copy only. C'mon now Daddy needs to pay off his Credit card. LOL.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:41 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

I reported the listing. Everyone else do the same. It may be only one, but it's one less if it gets pulled.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:44 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

He talks a lot about his bazillion hit website, yet doesn't provide an address. Since his e-mail domain is endlesskaraoke.com, I tried that. Strangely, whatever site he's talking about isn't under that domain. Wonder why not?

To Lon: DONE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next