KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - The dreaded "free gig"....... Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:44 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Been Liked: 126 times
Hi everyone,

I very hesitantly did a free gig for an "Eagles Club" down here yesyerday afternoon. The management asked if we would do the first gig free and he would "sign on" for an additional 4 weeks thereafter. Unlike most here I have all bar owners/operators sign an agreement for karaoke but had nothing in writing as of yesterday.

Well, the manager says he is ready to go Friday night before the show and would call back shortly with an exact time for the "free gig" to commence on Saturday. So, we wait.... and wait... and wait but he never calls back. We try calling back late in the evening but the bar is closed so we really have no way of getting hold of the owner.

Saturday morning rolls around and we have no confirmation so we call the establishment at around 11:30am and get hold of the barmaid setting up and she says the manager not only isn't there but will not be there all weekend. I start to freak out a little and ask her if she knows anything about "us" coming in today for a show. She acknowledges that she is fully aware and is very excited about it and have heard nothing but good things about us.

I, of course, start feeling pretty defensive and not wanting to offend the barmaid tell her of my meeting with owner and about the free gig and 4 week contract thereafter.
She knows nothing except about the free gig today and said she expected us around 1:00pm.

This is usually where I diplomatically step in and say we can't move forward without an agreement, etc. and will call back Monday, blah, blah blah. !!

However, after discussing with my wife(who kj's also) and again with the barmaid she re-assured us that we will get the 4 week gig and even though we were playing for free today that her patrons were very generous and she would "pass around the bucket" a few times while we were there.

So with very little time to load up equipment, etc we hauled butt up to the club and set up to play for 3 hours. Mind you we had no guarantees for future gigs and no money for the first. I would like to re-emphasize that this is very abnormal of me to even consider this much less do it.

We get there, set up. talk to bartender and off we go. The crowd was pretty thin to start off because of an outside event right out front of the club. Around 3:00 pm people start rolling in from outside and the atmosphere totally changes. We get people singing a bit and pass out the cordless mics for sing-along and its going great.
4:00 pm rolls around pretty soon and though its rocking pretty good we are doing a free gig and the tip jar I have out is empty minus the 2 dollars I put in earlier. I kin dly announce that we are about to wrap things up and thank the bartender, etc and a strange thing happens. A guy comes up and says do you guys really have to leave right now? He says why dont you stick around and have some bbq we made and I'll pass around the bucket and get you some money. Maybe my mood or something, but I initially agree and off this guy goes around the bar collecting money.

The whole time the guys away getting us paid I'm thinking what a mistake I've made doing this for nothing and with no further gigs here its a waste and its all my fault. Well, here he comes about 5 minutes later and I am at a loss.

There is approximately 200.00 in tips in this big bucket and he demands for us to get some food and drink and relax a bit. We key the filler music and do get some food.We resume karaoke a little later and a blast was had by all. With another go round with the tip bucket we wound up making a pretty good amount for a free gig. It was almost 7:00 before we left.

BTW, right before we left we had a signed agreement for 4 weeks and a room full of satisfied people.

I have no moral of the story here just thought it was worth mentioning.

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:17 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

Been Liked: 46 times
The moral is that sometimes you just have to listen to you inner self and have faith that things will be OK. You did initially, because otherwise you wouldn't have gone in the forst place.
Also the hidden moral is that some bar owners CAN be trusted at their word (as this one obviously could).
Good job and I hope your next 4 weeks are successful!
Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:47 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 118 times
Very glad it worked out so well for you. It's definitely a risk under those circumstances, but it definitely paid off for you.

We do free gigs for our kids' schools (all the school dances, and occasional other parties). I've gotten several other paid school gigs, Girl Scout gigs, bar/bat mitzvahs and church picnics out of it. It also gives us a good rapport with the school administration, so that, in and of itself is worth it (but the referral gigs are great).

birdofsong

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:49 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 59 times
Sometimes you just have to have faith that the other party means well and is good on their word. Some times it works out some times not. But regardless you never get another opportunity if you don't take the risk and have faith at first. And really whats the harm it it doenst pan out?? 3 hours of time used and no harm done to your rep. Maybe pass out some business cards and get a gig from those. Think of it as a promo event.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:09 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 64 times
free gigs are ok once in a while but be careful people have a way to abuse a free gig

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:14 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Yeah, I think I pretty much lucked out with this particular venue. I've done a half dozen or so charity/free events and felt really good about it afterwards. This, of course, was not charity and I was very apprehensive about it. To do it again would probably be unwise. JMHO!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
It sounds like this lodge had a function planned that afternoon, knew it would be well attended, wanted the members to get acquainted with you, and figured things would work out.

You know sometimes good things like this happen. And it seems like they were up front with you throughout.

However... I know Eagles members and how they think. They may tip a bit after this, but they will be expecting their lodge to pay you from now on.

So don't let 'em slide.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:26 pm 

Karma JR Karma :D !!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 15 times
Glad it worked out for you!!

I've done some free gigs to try to promote myself and so far have gotten zilch from them. I am about to start visiting some Elks clubs, American Legions etc. and I know some of them are going to want a freeby for my first time. I figure I have to pay my dues a bit more to get established in this area.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:23 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I do the same - as opposed to doing a discount introductory rate (which may make it harder to get paid what you would normally be paid since you were willing to do it for less) I go with a free gig to show the bar what I am all about. After I become well established in a couple years, I may ditch this practice. Just booked my third bar because of it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:42 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
If you have a birthday party or something that will guarantee a halfway decent crowd then it is worth it. A dead bar with the same bored drunks in there and the owner expecting a first magical night is useless. In those cases it is only 2 hours and is used to show off your system.

Invite your good singers even if you have to but them drinks. Do not have any silence and use fill music with upbeat to keep up the tempo.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

There are lots of great reasons for doing free gigs. Some of the gigs turn into paying jobs and some don't. I never do one expecting that it's going to bring me more business and when it does I'm pleasantly surprised.

One of my rules, though, is that when someone tells me it will be worthwhile to do the gig because of the exposure I generally walk away. It's not a hard and fast rule but and it kind of depends on the circumstances. I developed my rule based on my experience over a number of years. "Exposure" seems to be kind of code word for "you're not going to get paid . . . not for any good reason . . . and the promised exposure won't do you any good at all."

I do a free gig once in a while as an audition. I do others for charities that I believe in. I've got one coming up that is for a good friend who is involved with a local charity. He's been very good to me over the years and I believe I owe him. I really enjoy those gigs because I don't have any expectations other than trying to help someone else out.

In the summer charity "rides" are a bit thing around here (Wisconsin . . . Harley country) and the bikers in this state raise a lot of money each year for a variety of charities.

My band plays regularly for a local bar. The owner lost his mother to cancer a couple of years ago. Now he has a ride every year to benefit the American Cancer Society. This year my band, plus 5 other bands that play at this venue ,are playing for free the night of the ride. Everyone will have a good time, we'll raise some money and we'll all feel good about it.

There's no moral to my story either. It's just a feel good thing. I just wanted to reinforce that free gigs can be a great way to get involved in the community and to help others.

Larry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:32 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Charity work is very important and rewarding. I've been involved with the relay for life for many years and do auctions for them (I'm an licensed auctioneer) with the stuff we all collect from local vendors. Same with the Salvation Army and Ducks Unlmtd. It's very important to get involved!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:18 am 
Super Duper Poster
Super Duper Poster

I agree 100%. Especially now with many agencies having lost funding, it's important for us to do what we can with what we have. Anyone who closes themself off from doing this kind of work needs to reevaluate.