KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - Inexpensive Powered Speakers Suggestions? Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:25 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
ripman8 @ Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:06 pm wrote:
Thanks Lon, how do you find time to kj when you are here giving so much advice? What did you think of the speakers I pasted a link about? They are from the same company that Sasha works for.

I didn't see a link? I thought you were referring to the OP link.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:26 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
OFD-Sasha @ Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:05 pm wrote:
Lonman,
Give me call 1(800) 910-3575
I have an idea to run past you.
Sasha
OFD

I broke my phone last week, still waiting for my replacement. Just click my email.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:43 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 146 times
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Pair-DJ-PA-Kara ... 240%3A1318

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:59 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 397 times
ripman8 @ Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:43 pm wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Pair-DJ-PA-Karaoke-Monitor-Floor-Speakers-PPB15_W0QQitemZ250328086806QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250328086806&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

These are passive speakers. If you don't have an amplifier then you can't use them

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:00 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 15 times
I'd like to see a pair of these speakers get sent to Lonman or Londonlive and let them evaluate the sound quality. If they say that the sound quality is good, then that's good enough for me. I'd also like to see the answers to Lonman's questions about the drivers.

I'm always looking for a good deal and I don't discriminate against gear based on the name brand. If a piece of gear is good or it sounds good, I don't care what the brand name is. If I can get quality gear for a lot less money, I'm happy.

HOWEVER, I'm very skeptical of this product. They need to prove that their speakers aren't just another Pyle Pro or Technical Pro or Acoustic Audio etc. I would be VERY surprised if they compared favorably to Yamaha, Electro Voice, Carvin or even Behringer. One more thing that makes me suspicious is if the only place that a product is available is on ebay and nothing comes up when you do a Yahoo or Google search.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:52 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Been Liked: 34 times
Lonman @ Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:23 pm wrote:
OFD-Sasha @ Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:21 pm wrote:
Hi my name is Sasha, I do not want to break any forum rules, but if I may respond as the Customer Service Manager and Sales Rep for Onlyfactorydirect for several years. I appreciate your forum, and believe you all had legitimate concerns and have every right to be sceptical. If I could just speak to those concerns...

First question:
How do we sell High Quality Products at such Low Prices?

Essentially there are three factors that allow us to negotiate killer pricing that we can pass through to our customers. First, we buy container loads of products direct from the factory; this saves them from storage and warehousing, shipping, and inspection. Second we provide our manufacturers with a guaranteed annual purchase, and finally we buy out the warranty because we offer a life time warranty on almost all of our products, now that's priceless. We simply get outstanding products at the very lowest price…direct from the Factory, and we back it all up with the best customer service you will ever encounter on Ebay. OnlyFactoryDirect was started out of the need to provide high quality audio products direct to the consumer. Based in the wholesale market for decades with contacts for high quality products from all over the world, OFD stepped out of the distribution chain from selling to other distributors and retail stores to directly selling to the consumer. This direct line from the factory to the consumer means lower prices while still maintaining high quality.

Don't get me wrong, Podium Pro Audio specifically designed these speakers with affordability in mind, so they have plastic corners, plastic handles, and simple plain packaging. There are some corners that can be cut, that are not at the expense of over all sound.

I have sold thousands upon thousands of Podium Pro Audio speakers over the years to many DJs, Churches, Bands, rental companies and Karaoke Performers that can not afford expensive equipment. This has given them a wonderful opportunity to break in to their business and I have heard such amazing stories to testify to this. Please, not all audio has to be expensive.

Keep up the good work, I talk to DJs and Karaoke lovers all day, every day...would love to direct them to this forum, when the question is out of my league.

Sasha
OFD

PS. One more thing...We offer a 30 day money back guarantee and a life time warranty, so there is really no risk. :wink:

Who manufacturers the drivers that go into them? What model drivers in say the link in the OP? Are the amps made by you or brought in from elsewhere? Who manus the amps otherwise? What kind of wood is used, thickness, density?
I'm sorry, it still sounds like a too good to be true type of deal. I see your feedback level is really good, however it's mostly about the timely shipping & product as described, very few actually say great product or anything positive about the speakers - not that the feedback lines have that much room to give that kind of review. But doing a Google search I could not find any review good or bad on any Podium product.

All imitations from China :wink: You just need to find a name like "Lonman Pro" speakers, buy truck loads or in this case, containers and sell direct online, just my opinion :roll: But keep in mind, sound is probably ok, Behringer is an Asian brand, I know, they say design in Germany, yeah, sure, you mean the head quarter is :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:34 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
Quote:
All imitations from China You just need to find a name like "Lonman Pro" speakers, buy truck loads or in this case, containers and sell direct online, just my opinion But keep in mind, sound is probably ok, Behringer is an Asian brand, I know, they say design in Germany, yeah, sure, you mean the head quarter is

Uli is known to live in Manilla
where all the beautiful girls are

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 2 times
As has been mentioned previously by Lonnie and others. I will not look twice at a component if it doesn't include specific and pertinent data on the product. I did note that this ad did list more data than others in this price range. I would still like to know what class amplifier, horn radius, crossover point it uses and perhaps the SPL of the woofer alone as to tell how efficient it would be in the lower frequencies. An overall figure of 101 relates more to the high frequency section in my opinion. If the SPL of the 12 inch woofer was included one could get a better idea of what to expect for overall performance. At this price point it is obvious that these are meant to be direct competition to Behringer, Gemini and others in this range. I must admit it does look fairly good on paper for the money and the original post did say they were looking for inexpensive. I caught the "tweeter" thing also Lonnie, they use the word "tweeter" but the description does suggest that it is a compression driver. Would I trust them for frontal duty? I'd have to hear them and see what they can do, that's something that hard to do in this age of the internet. I think Sasha did a good job of representing the product in an objective manor. How did QSC come up in a post with the word "inexpensive" in it?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:55 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 8 times
not sure if they are available in US but Wharfedale make a very good powered speaker for the price.
I use them and am happy with the sound (happier still since I upgraded to a different mixer) I have had nearly 3 years trouble free with them.
And just yesterday I was having a bit of a practise at home and one of them cut out half way thru a song...I am not sure what is wrong, the sound is crystal clear then nothing...then it comes back a while later.
So its off to the city to get it repaired on monday morning and hope like hell they can do it within the week as I have a dine & dance for 250 to sing at on 29th Nov and trying to do it with just one powered speaker isnt going to cut it

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:43 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

Jian @ Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:34 am wrote:
Quote:
All imitations from China You just need to find a name like "Lonman Pro" speakers, buy truck loads or in this case, containers and sell direct online, just my opinion But keep in mind, sound is probably ok, Behringer is an Asian brand, I know, they say design in Germany, yeah, sure, you mean the head quarter is

Uli is known to live in Manilla
where all the beautiful girls are

Well, Uli is a smart man :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:46 am 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

MorganLeFey @ Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:55 am wrote:
not sure if they are available in US but Wharfedale make a very good powered speaker for the price.
I use them and am happy with the sound (happier still since I upgraded to a different mixer) I have had nearly 3 years trouble free with them.
And just yesterday I was having a bit of a practise at home and one of them cut out half way thru a song...I am not sure what is wrong, the sound is crystal clear then nothing...then it comes back a while later.
So its off to the city to get it repaired on monday morning and hope like hell they can do it within the week as I have a dine & dance for 250 to sing at on 29th Nov and trying to do it with just one powered speaker isnt going to cut it

Yes they are but not well promoted though, the low retail price creates a bit of a problem for retailers :roll: But I agree with you, excellent manufacture and also one of the biggest who makes for many other brands out there :wink: And who knows, maybe they're the manufacture of the "Prodium Pro"??? Wharfedale is probably the biggest Asian speaker manufacture :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:13 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Songs: 1
Been Liked: 53 times
Still no specific answer... and as soon as people start asking for it, it all goes in the "back office". Call me, email me... (no offense Lonman, I know it's not your fault).

Stinks like fish here...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:43 pm 

Hi guys...LOL..that is funny, no back room deals...I simply offered to send Loman a pair of speakers to listen to..he can make his own assesment. No strings attached. We are constantly challenged with the apprehensive buyer...I thought this would be a great opportunity for a non-partial review :) I'm sure Loman loves you all but I'm guessing he wouldn't want his address listed.

I don't work over the weekend, I spend time with my family (no OFD over the weekends), didn't mean to give the impression "I was backing off or hiding".

I have brought it to the attention of the individual that writes all the content and webpage descriptions, your point regarding the compression driver, because it should be accurate. It is in fact a horn and compression driver in the powered speakers PP1502A & PP1202A.

The passive speakers have a Piezo tweeter.

Okay...what else, oh yes, Podium Pro Audio manufactures their own woofers, can be seen under Pro Audio Accessories, actually, really fantastic woofers, especially their PP102, 1202, and 1502 series, which incidentally are not used in their speakers.

They do have a website...so you can look up the spl yourself at PodiumProAudio.com they list the TS perameters of most of their woofers.

As far as the cross-over, I really don't know the answer. We test these speakers pretty thoroughly because we offer a life time warranty that covers manufacture defects, so we can't just carry whatever....it has to be a solid performer.

If there is something I missed, I apologise. Feel free to ask....I will do my best to answer your questions.

Sasha
OFD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:33 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

sometimes it sucks being in the southern hemisphere :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:14 pm 
Novice Poster
Novice Poster

Location: Northwest Wyoming - (Billings, MT is closest big city)
MorganLeFey @ Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:55 am wrote:

I don't own any powered speakers, but my guess is that the internal amplifier is clipping, and the protection circuitry kicked in. So to me, the speaker is doing what it's supposed to...protect itself from damage by cutting out.

Usually if excessive clipping is occurring, the amp will shut down and reset itself. It will usually start back up in about 10 seconds or so (of course, everything depends on the manufacturer). My suggestion would be to simply turn down the input gain knob on the speaker itself, and/or turn down the output on the mixer/cd player/whatever. Finding the right combination of output and input gain is the key to getting the headroom needed for the amp/speaker combo to put out the power that you want without clipping.

The speaker may or may not have a red clipping light. If it does, pay attention to whether the light is indicating clipping. Hope this helps. :)

Dominic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:30 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

yes that was my thought as well...luckily before making the trip to the city to get it fixed, I tested the other speaker and it did the same thing. The culprit was a cord. Once I changed it all was fine :) These speakers are workhorses yet have never been pushed hard, so it was unlikely that anything could go wrong. As Micky said, the manu is very reputable, but retailers dont like them cos they are cheap and musicians think that they will be laughed at because they are purchasing cheap.

I was concerned when I first purchased as I thought they sounded muddy. However with a nice yamaha mixer they sound fine...my only bugbear is the weight...29.5 kg is a little more than I can really safely handle now I dont have any stability

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 15 times
Well I'm very curious about these Podium speakers. I hope Lonman will test them out complete with SPL testing and any other scientific type tests etc. The bottom line though is if these speakers sound good they are a very good deal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:20 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 334 times
OFD-Sasha @ Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:58 pm wrote:
Quote:
Who manufacturers the drivers that go into them? What model drivers in say the link in the OP? Are the amps made by you or brought in from elsewhere? Who manus the amps otherwise? What kind of wood is used, thickness, density?

Most of the cabinets that come from Podium Pro Audio are constructed with 3/4" MDF, at least the passive speakers are. The Powered speakers that "Doenjoy" was referring to, the PP1202As are constructed with ABS plastic.

I just had a road musician call me this morning named "Q" that had just received his PP1502As, that his friend (another musician) had shown him, and he was so excited about the sound and price. These are not JBL Eons.... but the do Kick butt!

Thanks again gentleman, for allowing me to respond in your forum. Again, I will refer customers this direction...it's nice to see a positive forum.

Sasha
OFD

Sasha, welcome. Though I respect the fact that you take the time to reply to the posts, I also have a question.

The speakers in question are 8 ohm, but the wattage ratings do not give inpedance info. Are the ratings for 2 ohm? 4 ohm? More importantly, are the RMS ratings for 8 ohm?

" Disc based and loving it..."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:24 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

stogie @ Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:20 pm wrote:
Well I'm very curious about these Podium speakers. I hope Lonman will test them out complete with SPL testing and any other scientific type tests etc. The bottom line though is if these speakers sound good they are a very good deal.

Actually Stogie, like you I hope they are tested, but I believe that London Live does give great advice and is as technically minded as anyone here and more than most...maybe two tests from two very different points of view are in order

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:29 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

looking very sexy indeed joseph :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next