KARAOKE SCENE MAGAZINE ONLINE! - What is the main thing that keeps you GOING to shows. Public Forums Karaoke Discussions Karaoke Scene's Karaoke Forums Home | Contact Us | Site Map  

Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene Karaoke Forums

Karaoke Scene

* Login
  * Register

* FAQ
  * Search

Custom Search

Social Networks

wordpress-hosting

Offsite Links

It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:56 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 0 time
I go to shows because most of the people there are nice. I also like a more laid back place to party( clubs with all that flashing stuff and that monotonous house music don't work for me) Also a karaoke show starts fairly early in the scheme of things. I remember in my club days I didn't even go out until 11- now I'm ready to come HOME then(Must be getting old)I also like the fact that they are usually held in a place that serves a menu so you can go out to eat and fit in some singing too!  I  use the shows to test out new songs before I use them in a paid show with a band. I discovered the hard way that what "I"like isn't always so popular with the rest of the public.  I have found that if the songs go over at a karaoke show- then they'll  go over at a paid singing gig too. I also admit that if the show has a good juicy sound I am vain enough to like to hear myself( blush) How bout the rest of you? What keeps you coming to the shows? Why are they so addictive?

Profile Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:20 pm 
Super Extreme Poster
Super Extreme Poster

Songs: 35
Been Liked: 2126 times
oneofakind864 @ Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:56 pm wrote:
I  use the shows to test out new songs before I use them in a paid show with a band. I discovered the hard way that what "I"like isn't always so popular with the rest of the public.  I have found that if the songs go over at a karaoke show- then they'll  go over at a paid singing gig too.

Agree & disagree with this, some songs that go over at karaoke is simply because that's what the crowd is in the mood for.  When our band played cover shows, some of the songs we did wouldn't go over at many karaoke shows - little harder rock/occasional off color - but these songs would bring the crowd at the live gig into a frenzy.  All depends on the crowds altogether.  We have a couple bands that actually bring in their own material in karaoke format & sometimes do the opposite - try out their material in the karaoke bar first THEN move it over to their live show.

Anyway ON topic....
For me if the sound is good & the host knows how to work the gear, selection is good with quality selection not just a bunch of crap brands to make the book big & a fair rotation are my first criterias to llok for.  If all that is good, then bar staff/prices/pours/customers/general crowd attitude are the rest.

Profile Personal album Singer's Showcase Profile 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:42 pm 
What keeps me coming back to shows ... I host 'em.  :)

From what I hear from my singers, it's a combination of things.

People - The atmosphere must be so that all can enjoy.  The rowdies will chase the more placid types away.  Good friends and good times.

Host - friendly, fair, entertaining.

Selection - goes without saying.

Service - being able to get a beer when needing one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:11 pm 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Quote:
What keeps me coming back to shows ...

the .........GRO :)  :D  :drool:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:24 pm 
Super Extreme
Super Extreme

THE PEOPLE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:11 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Been Liked: 3 times
I'm paid to be there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:05 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 122 times
I like early shows. I don't drink, but I eat, so I prefer an early show where the food is good. The two shows I now regularly attend start at 6:30 and 8pm, and both places have a good steak. We tip very well so we get outstanding service, and it makes for a very pleasant evening.

(These early dinner shows are becoming more common where we are -- there are now four of them within driving distance.)

I like to sing, so I selfishly don't want too many singers.  Also, I am there for karaoke so I prefer karaoke-only shows to ones that take up my time playing dance music I have no desire to listen to. Overall, the number of times I get to sing along with the quality of the audience is the biggest thing that keeps me coming back.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:18 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 47 times
Finding a new place, things like song selection, sound system, the KJ knowing his/her business would attract me back, or not.

But now, I go where my friends are. Both local places in my town are pretty cool, and I'm friends with the KJ's from both, and have friends at both spots. Guess I'll always be a bit partial to Denny's though. Small as the place is, I just have so many fun memories there.. and even though I karaoke'd elsewhere years before at lots of different places, this is the place that pulled my out of my shell. I'm not near as shy and nervous to sing karaoke as I was 4 or 5 years ago. I've gained lots of stage courage there. (hell, they turned me into the Diva I am today)  LMAO Okay, that was a joke, and based on MY definition of the word.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:44 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

LOL  Yes indeed, Charmin is now a genuine Denny's Diva without a doubt!  This has earned her the right to stand on chairs and tables while singing whenever the mood is right.  :yes:  There's video evidence of this too! ha,ha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:03 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Yes, I am indeed allowed to stand on chairs, tables, and barstools:)

It's as close to being a *coyote* as I'm ever gonna get.  LMAO

And hey, I had that video on MySpace once, if you recall... SOME of these guys hae seen it:)

And... aren't you going to admit what keeps YOU coming to Denny's? (cause I'm pretty positive it's ME)

J/K... I had to get one more Diva comment in.  LMAO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:28 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

Yes I must admit my eyes do widen with gleeful joy whenever Charmin arrives in her limo! :)  LOL  Her bodyguard is always there to keep her adoring fans in line though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:40 am 
Extreme Poster
Extreme Poster

The combination of a friendly clientele, enough good singers and a KJ that keeps things running smoothly are the things I like about my favorite place.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:05 pm 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Odie @ Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:28 am wrote:
Yes I must admit my eyes do widen with gleeful joy whenever Charmin arrives in her limo! :)  LOL  Her bodyguard is always there to keep her adoring fans in line though.

I told ya, he's not a "bodyguard"... he's a "Divaguard".

And it's not a Limo.... It's a Ford Bronco;)

LMAO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:54 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I definitely go to shows where the people and atmosphere are friendly and not too clique-ish.  I also want a KJ who knows what they're doing - how to keep the show moving and how to mix the sound.  Someone who is fair with rotating new singers in and keeping the "repeat" singer's in the mix.  I like KJ's who are friendly and willing to let me use my own discs - it's very rare that a place has a lot of the things I do - and also has a good selection of songs so I can experiment with new things.  I prefer places that aren't too "singer heavy," 'cause...yeah...I wanna get in as many songs as I can. *impish grin*   I definitely like places where there is a good mix of non-singers and singers where all are appreciative of the people singing.  I sing professionally, so I use karaoke to test new material in front of an audience with no pressure, and to just keep everything "in shape."  I also like places that serve food...I'm a real lite-weight when I drink, so...I need food!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:19 pm 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

The buzztime trivia, $10 buckets, and Thursday is Steak Night.  And it doesn't have the regular singers, so I can do without the hack material.  I'm the only guy who seen this guy do the same Elvis the same way everytime, but yet it's a new crowd who hasn't seen this and are blown away.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:10 am 
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

I've yet to find the show that has just the right combination of everything I like, and it's unfair to expect to find one.  I probably want contradictory things anyway, since if it's too crowded I don't get to sing much, but if no one is there it's no fun because there is no atmosphere.

The crowd makes a pretty big difference.  I like places that skew toward a younger crowd because they tend to like the kind of music I like to sing. (They are also better-looking, which is more of a factor that I'm prepared to admit.) Since I live in a college town it's not hard to find a place with a lot of students, but they tend to start late (10:00 pm or so) and are very crowded.  At the opposite end of the spectrum, I've attended an early (7:30 pm) show at the American Legion a couple of times, and though they had plenty of singers it is Bor-ing with a capital B.  Never a fast song, no energy by the singers, no excitement at all.  They're nice people, and they've got some very good singers, but after a few songs I practically fall asleep.

A good sound system is a plus, of course, though for some reason it seems like the shows with the best sound systems have the smallest song catalogs.  I guess they decided to put their money into the system instead of the discs.  I can deal with the small songbooks by bringing my own discs, but it would be nice if I didn't have to.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:48 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

Been Liked: 5 times
Quote:
I've attended an early (7:30 pm) show at the American Legion a couple of times, and though they had plenty of singers it is Bor-ing with a capital B.  Never a fast song, no energy by the singers, no excitement at all.  They're nice people, and they've got some very good singers, but after a few songs I practically fall asleep.

Tom that was us at the v. I got so burned out I didnt want to host again. You would absolutely love our show. We start at 7:30 playing high beat music. It is a dinner crowd and we do have a lot of regulars but some are just people that didnt much karaoke before and are blown away. About 10 good singers that can sing most genres and dont sing the same thing over and over (well most) During the first 3 hours it is KJ/DJ and we actually play 30 seconds to 1 minute fill. This is determined by audience reaction If they want singers then it is mainly karaoke. In the last hour 11-12 more singers are in and we try to get everybody up so it is fast paced karaoke.

We have had our institutions over the years same night at the same place for 3-5 years. I will mention some things that always got me back. My host used to do a show over in loveland I think thur nites. A lot of rock and this old man couldnt sit 2 or 3 gals woulld literally drag me out on the floor. Then they wouldnt let me sit down. They did this with everybody. More once I be standing there at the end of a song huffing & puffing wondering if I could make it back to my chair. OK lets get Ollie up here!!!

Things like this make karaoke bars that last. High energy, party type atmosphere. good people good service and friendship. Thats what takes me back At one time I was doing karaoke (singer) 7 nights a week in 3 or 4 towns.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:17 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

the money......oh wait, you mean when i'm not working!  ok, that would be the cameraderie (sp?)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:53 am 
Extreme Plus Poster
Extreme Plus Poster

xx @ Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:17 pm wrote:
cameraderie (sp?)

And the definition of that would be....

Quote:
Noun 1. camaraderie - the quality of affording easy familiarity and sociability

camaraderie... but played with a "camera"? If so, I wanna play too:)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:11 pm 
Super Plus Poster
Super Plus Poster

BlueStainedShoes @ Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:53 pm wrote:
xx @ Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:17 pm wrote:
cameraderie (sp?)

And the definition of that would be....

Quote:
Noun 1. camaraderie - the quality of affording easy familiarity and sociability

camaraderie... but played with a "camera"? If so, I wanna play too:)

:twisted:
****GROWL!!!****